Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky football officially hires Mark Stoops
I think we was getting Timmonds anyway, but if we land Quick out of Trinity, OH BOY!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its been proven time and time again.
There just isnt enough speed within this state.

Please tell me 3 kids from last year thats playing in the SEC somewhere besides UK.

I can only think of 2 kids from the mountains thats even in the SEC, and thats Cody Jones at UK and Channing Fugate at Tenn, assuming hes even still there. Neither get playing time. The Hyde kid from Clay will be at UK next year. Other than that, i dont know of any "mountain" kids playing in the SEC, and as far as the whole state goes, you will be hard pressed to find any in state kids playing in the SEC outside of UK.

Stoops ability to win will rely on how he can recruit Florida and the South where he needs to try and steal some of those LSU and Bama recruits.
This Rich Brooks/Joke Phillips way of recruiting in state kids and Stone Mountain GA kids will not work, and thats been proven.

As far as Stoops defense, his defenses have been very efficient in stopping the pass. Its no secret he has created some of the best DB's over the pat 10 years. Im sure when he gets to UK, hes going to have to change it up a little because most SEC teams will pound it out on the ground to get a ground game going. He has to be able to stop the run, while bending, but not breaking in the pass.

It would not surprise me if Hyde ended up somewhere else now.
That kid won't make it in an SEC school. He'll end up at EKU or one of the NAIA schools.
Stoops needs to bring in Brown as the OC and Coley as a recruiting coordinator only.

Then, he needs to find the best Defensive mind he can find, and a well proven one. Defense wins in this league.
insideinfo Wrote:It would not surprise me if Hyde ended up somewhere else now.

I give it a year and he'll be gone.
Nothing against the kid, but when i see him get blown off the ball by much smaller lineman this year and sucking breath halfway through the second qtr i knew what would happen.

To be honest, id rather go somewhere and play then go somewhere and ride the bench only to have to practice non stop.
insideinfo Wrote:I agree there is not much SEC talent in the state but we can't loose any, If there 5 this year we need all 5.But we can not be loosing kids to USC [Dawson] and Notre Dame [Collinsworth].We need a recruiter that camps out at Trinity Highland, St X,Central.

Bad part is, you cant blame those kids at all for leaving.
Even if they had come to UK they wouldnt of had a coach to develop them and improve there game like there getting now.

We'll see if Stoops is able to do that.
Great to see this hire. should bring new, and much needed excitement to this program. A very positive move, imo.
Is Collinsworth even starting?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
^
Hurt
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I give it a year and he'll be gone.
Nothing against the kid, but when i see him get blown off the ball by much smaller lineman this year and sucking breath halfway through the second qtr i knew what would happen.

To be honest, id rather go somewhere and play then go somewhere and ride the bench only to have to practice non stop.

I understand your point and you may be correct. But I've watched a lot of high school D and O linemen over the years. Many of the bigger ones that got D-1 scholarships did not impress me at all when they played in high school. I wasn't impressed with Warford at all. The kid that played for BG and then went on to play O line at UK was OK but nothing special. Heck, even Mr. Cobble was just OK. The James kid who died tragically and played for Cincy X in high school (and was one of the most highly recruited O linemen in the nation) was schooled over and over again by a much smaller Highlands D lineman.

But you have to remember, most really big high school linemen haven't grown into their bodies yet and really haven't conditioned or lifted really hard (relying on their bulk size in high school instead). At a lot of high schools they don't receive the best coaching either.

So the upside in college for a lot of these big guys is pretty good if they condition hard, put a lot of time in the weight room and receive really good coaching.

You just cannot accurately judge how any high school player will perform in college based on their high school performance. Their college performance can be much more accurately predicted by their size, athleticism and intelligence.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Is Collinsworth even starting?

Likely would be (or at a minimum playing a lot) but for a shoulder injury ( I think incurred in summer camp) and then a more recent back injury incurred as he was lifting and rehabbing his shoulder.
insideinfo Wrote:I keep hearing people call this a homerun hire, How can you call someone with no head coaching experience a homerun. It can be a very good hire if he can assemble a pretty good staff. We can't stand no more Rick Minters and Randy Sanders. We need someone that knows what S E C talent looks like.

I share your concern about the lack of HC experience. But I like his football family experience and think (hope) he can quickly grow into the HC position. I think we have to be realistic. The perfect hire (ie, a younger and enthusiastic coach, with past successful HC experience at a major program, who is a proven recruiter, does not have past "problems" and has a proven track record of getting his players drafted into the NFL) is tough to find. Particularly given where UK football is at this point.

So you have to start looking for candidates that have as many of those positives as possible and attempt to determine if those missing positives can be developed. I really think that Stoops fits the bill.
Also with these bigger lineman I've seen it a bunch. They are afraid of really hurting someone. Ashland had a kid like that. He was all state but admitted to coaches he only played at half speed cause he didn't want to hurt the much smaller kids. He ended up playing for small small school down in the Carolina's had had he played all out who knows? But his fear of someone getting hurt cost him a oppurtunity to play big time ball.
I just hope that he don't come in and try to do things like it is done in the ACC because I don't think this will work in the SEC. Also I hope people don't think that we will see all the Florida kids come just because we got a coach from Florida St. Why would those kids come to kentucky when they still have Florida, Florida St, Miami and all the other SEC schools to pick from.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Bad part is, you cant blame those kids at all for leaving.
Even if they had come to UK they wouldnt of had a coach to develop them and improve there game like there getting now.

I don't blame those kids for leaving,if I was in there shoes I would have left to. I just think we need to make instate recruiting a higher priority than Jokers staff did. know of a couple kids that felt really turned off after there first meeting.
Jacob Hyde will do just fine at UK....But I dont agree with the recruiting startegy when if we believe we can go anywhere in the deep south and get quality players to commit to UK. I wish it would happen, but highly unlikely IMO. It would be nice to get a couple speedsters though. But I dont know why we would want a player in the deep south who isnt good enough to play for LSU, Fla. St., Florida, Georgia and Auburn. What are we going to get? I am glad we have Stoops whose family is from Youngstown. I hope he can recruit the greater Cincy area, Lousiville, and Indianapolis. I think this is our chance to upgrade our roster at this time. There are plety of talented players just north of us and I have to believe this has to be our recruiting base. I love the fact we went after a defensive minded coach. If we can get Brown to coach up a scoring offense we are in business. I personally would like to see Tim Couch named Quarterbacks Coach. He was best we have ever had and obviously knows how to play the position, especially in the Brown offensive scheme.
bossman313 Wrote:Jacob Hyde will do just fine at UK....But I dont agree with the recruiting startegy when if we believe we can go anywhere in the deep south and get quality players to commit to UK. I wish it would happen, but highly unlikely IMO. It would be nice to get a couple speedsters though. But I dont know why we would want a player in the deep south who isnt good enough to play for LSU, Fla. St., Florida, Georgia and Auburn. What are we going to get? I am glad we have Stoops whose family is from Youngstown. I hope he can recruit the greater Cincy area, Lousiville, and Indianapolis. I think this is our chance to upgrade our roster at this time. There are plety of talented players just north of us and I have to believe this has to be our recruiting base. I love the fact we went after a defensive minded coach. If we can get Brown to coach up a scoring offense we are in business. I personally would like to see Tim Couch named Quarterbacks Coach. He was best we have ever had and obviously knows how to play the position, especially in the Brown offensive scheme.

We are along way from being able to recruit the deep south with much success ,but I sure would love to see us be in the conversation with some of these kids.
First season we go 9-3.
:|
Ballers Wrote:First season we go 9-3.

Aug. 31: vs. WKU - W
Sept. 7: MIAMI (OH) - W
Sept. 14: LOUISVILLE - W
Sept. 28: FLORIDA - L
Oct. 5: at South Carolina - L
Oct. 12: ALABAMA - L
Oct. 26: at Mississippi State - W
Nov. 2: ALABAMA STATE - W
Nov. 9: MISSOURI - W
Nov. 16: at Vanderbilt - W
Nov. 23: at Georgia - L
Nov. 30: TENNESSEE - W

I'm gonna say 8-4
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Bad part is, you cant blame those kids at all for leaving.

And if and when he proves he can....they will come!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Anyone else excited as me?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Aug. 31: vs. WKU - W
Sept. 7: MIAMI (OH) - W
Sept. 14: LOUISVILLE - W
Sept. 28: FLORIDA - L
Oct. 5: at South Carolina - L
Oct. 12: ALABAMA - L
Oct. 26: at Mississippi State - W
Nov. 2: ALABAMA STATE - W
Nov. 9: MISSOURI - W
Nov. 16: at Vanderbilt - W
Nov. 23: at Georgia - L
Nov. 30: TENNESSEE - W

I'm gonna say 8-4

6-6 would be more than acceptable with what's in the cupboard right now...they go 8-4, I'll need to wear some dependsConfusednicker:

9-3.... I might go streaking in the quad:hilarious:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Anyone else excited as me?

Hell Yes!!!

Does anyone else feel that since it's not gonna be open to public that they may be some more coaches or staff members coming aboard that they don't won't out right now?
Remember there were a few "great" fans on here that said we would go to a bowl this year.
I said we would win 3 games tops :biggrin:

Even trolling on Joker, he still managed to do worse then i predicted. I think that sums up his horrible career.
charlie22 Wrote:I understand your point and you may be correct. But I've watched a lot of high school D and O linemen over the years. Many of the bigger ones that got D-1 scholarships did not impress me at all when they played in high school. I wasn't impressed with Warford at all. The kid that played for BG and then went on to play O line at UK was OK but nothing special. Heck, even Mr. Cobble was just OK. The James kid who died tragically and played for Cincy X in high school (and was one of the most highly recruited O linemen in the nation) was schooled over and over again by a much smaller Highlands D lineman.

But you have to remember, most really big high school linemen haven't grown into their bodies yet and really haven't conditioned or lifted really hard (relying on their bulk size in high school instead). At a lot of high schools they don't receive the best coaching either.

So the upside in college for a lot of these big guys is pretty good if they condition hard, put a lot of time in the weight room and receive really good coaching.

You just cannot accurately judge how any high school player will perform in college based on their high school performance. Their college performance can be much more accurately predicted by their size, athleticism and intelligence.

I can definitely see where your coming from.
I got a chance to watch Ledger and Pryor who were both great lineman at UK in high school. But, I thought they would be good when they were in high school.
It is very difficult for a kid from the eastern part of the state to excel in the SEC. Except for a few freaks like the Jones kid from Belfry and a couple of others, but almost all kids from EKY who have went to the SEC have went to UK. This is due to speed and speed alone. If Hyde excels at UK, he'll actually have to lose some of that muscle IMO, and get quicker. Hes a brute and his lifting numbers are pretty good, but in the SEC, it will be tough to get around those lineman. I hope he does and i love seeing EKY kids do good while in college.

Im curious to see if were able to start getting some of these 4.5 guys in here and if we will start seeing some Florida speed on this roster.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Anyone else excited as me?

More than I thought I would be!

Since being a small child I have been a UK football fan. More so that I prefer the football program over the basketball program. The position I had before this one was working close with the training staff for football which is one of the reasons I took that job.

I am tired of being beat up every year by Florida and having them laugh at us. I may be putting a lot of hope in this hire but I think Stoops will bring us that win before he leaves.
You guys predicting 8-4 or 9-3 are crazy. This is going to be a team full of freshman and sophomores. Florida,South Carolina,Georgia,and Bama are all losses. Louisville an Missouri probably are. Throw in vandy,Tennessee, and Mississippi state and 4-8 seem about right. The best thing we can do to speed up the process it to PLAY PATRICK TOWLES. He has the most skills of all the Qb on The roster. More mobile than smith and better passer than whitlow. He should've started all along.
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say things haven't turned out like a lot of people thought.
^
I know one guy that's been pretty spot on Confusednicker: