Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky football officially hires Mark Stoops
This is the by far the best hire out of the horrible list Barney compiled.
His future will rely on who he picks as his OC and DC.
If he messes that up, IMO, we will be doing this again in three years.

I will admit we could have done much worse, and Stoops seems to be a good choice.
However, he's going to need to win and win quickly. Ill give him two years to show improvement, which shouldnt be hard with what Joker has done. If there is no improvement from 2-10 within 2 years, he needs to go.
Until then, i will not troll.

Lets win, please.
insideinfo Wrote:I agree 100% we have to get evey Kid from the state,a couple from Ohio Indiana,West Virginia and the rest from traditional S E C recruiting grounds.But its real important we get every kid from the state that can play S E C football.

Thats the biggest hurdle being the coach at UK.
You may find 3 kids tops in this state who can play SEC ball.
I did hear that the 3 for the Offensive Coordinator Position are as follows: James Coley (FSU OC), Neal Brown (TT OC), Chris Hatcher (Murray State HC). Hatcher will be a last resort if the other two decline the offer.
This is on the front of UKathletics.com

[Image: http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/kty/graphic...ht-box.jpg]
Here's what I could gather for the OC situation. The current 3 in the running are. Coley, Brown and Murray State's Head Coach. Coley has been offered the job and been given 48 hours to accept or decline the position. Also heard that Neal Brown was leading candidate for the OC. Also heard that Stoops maybe bringing FSU Line Coach DJ Elliot.

Should be an exciting next day or two.
If Coley doesn't accept I will be shocked.
Very good hire for Kentucky.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats the biggest hurdle being the coach at UK.

You really think just 3 kids per year from the state of Kentucky can play SEC football? I hope there is more than that. Do you know what defensive system Stoops runs?
honestjchsfan Wrote:You really think just 3 kids per year from the state of Kentucky can play SEC football? I hope there is more than that. Do you know what defensive system Stoops runs?

Its been proven time and time again.
There just isnt enough speed within this state.

Please tell me 3 kids from last year thats playing in the SEC somewhere besides UK.

I can only think of 2 kids from the mountains thats even in the SEC, and thats Cody Jones at UK and Channing Fugate at Tenn, assuming hes even still there. Neither get playing time. The Hyde kid from Clay will be at UK next year. Other than that, i dont know of any "mountain" kids playing in the SEC, and as far as the whole state goes, you will be hard pressed to find any in state kids playing in the SEC outside of UK.

Stoops ability to win will rely on how he can recruit Florida and the South where he needs to try and steal some of those LSU and Bama recruits.
This Rich Brooks/Joke Phillips way of recruiting in state kids and Stone Mountain GA kids will not work, and thats been proven.

As far as Stoops defense, his defenses have been very efficient in stopping the pass. Its no secret he has created some of the best DB's over the pat 10 years. Im sure when he gets to UK, hes going to have to change it up a little because most SEC teams will pound it out on the ground to get a ground game going. He has to be able to stop the run, while bending, but not breaking in the pass.
I'm no football guru but no fool either.
I've never heard of Stoops.
Mitch has finally realized that Defense is a must to win in the SEC so I feel that this is a great hire and I am excited once again about UK football.

He has a history of turning around defenses in a couple of years and developing players. He will do everything in his power to turn this program around so that it looks good on his resume. We all know that with this being his first HC job, he won't be here for long.
SaveUK Wrote:If Coley doesn't accept I will be shocked.

I wouldn't be.

He would be accepting the same position he has at Florida State at Kentucky. Not exactly an upgrade.
The past UK coaches would always recruit in Georgia. I hope Stoops brings in all kinds of kids from Florida. It will be a nice change to have some speed in the next few years.
I have to say I am thrilled with the hire! It has the look and feel of a great hire by Mr Barnhardt!! Thank you Mitch!!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I wouldn't be.

He would be accepting the same position he has at Florida State at Kentucky. Not exactly an upgrade.
His job at FSU has plateued. FSU would like to keep him on to recruit, but it is hard to demote someone and the individual be happy about it. FSU and Fisher should be, and are, in the process of letting Jimbo delegate play calling and a lot of offensive responsibility and FSU would probably like to do that with an upgrade at OC.

But, this is not say Coley may not have other offers out there that he could entertain. I love Coley, and wish him well where ever he may go. Really fun to listen to him speak, and if he ever regains access to twitter, it will also be fun haha.
Panther Thunder Wrote:His job at FSU has plateued. FSU would like to keep him on to recruit, but it is hard to demote someone and the individual be happy about it. FSU and Fisher should be, and are, in the process of letting Jimbo delegate play calling and a lot of offensive responsibility and FSU would probably like to do that with an upgrade at OC.

But, this is not say Coley may not have other offers out there that he could entertain. I love Coley, and wish him well where ever he may go. Really fun to listen to him speak, and if he ever regains access to twitter, it will also be fun haha.
Just saw on twitter, an FSU commit said DJ Eliot informed him that he will stay at FSU. Of course, not gospel, just throwing it out there.
Strikeout King Wrote:I tweeted Kentucky Recruiting and they said that Coley would more than likely come and not be surprised if some of the FSU recruits follow them to UK. I would post the tweet but that would be giving away my identity and we're not allowed to do that

Even though you can click on the link at the top right of your posts that goes to your twitter page? lol
:thatsfunn

He is th OC at FSU but he doesn't call plays and very little gameplanning his main job is recruiting. At UK he could be the full offensive coordinator as stoops would handle the defense which is what he wants. I say he is on board.
I am sure he will get more money also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
zaga_fan Wrote:Even though you can click on the link at the top right of your posts that goes to your twitter page? lol

Confusednicker:
Someone in Lexington needs to hire SK. He knows his stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]

No it would be a different position because here he would be aloud to call the plays and wouldn't be stuck riding Jimbo's offensive coat tails.
I'm pretty sure it's down to Coley and Brown. If Coley doesn't accept it'll be Brown that comes on.

Kentucky Recruiting ‏@RecruitKentucky @WARMOTHER51 Said from the start it'll come down to those two, but Coley will get the job tomorrow, I believe.

Kentucky Recruiting ‏@RecruitKentucky As I said before, Coley will likely become OC in next 48 hours, as Stoops has officially offered job to him.

Kentucky Recruiting ‏@RecruitKentucky Also MAJOR facility upgrades being made in football. Recruiting Room, Weight room expansion, Club seating, Training room, just to name some.

Kentucky Recruiting ‏@RecruitKentucky As I said earlier, Coley WILL follow Stoops to Kentucky as OC. Coley has racked in two straight Top 10 Recruiting Classes.

Kentucky Recruiting ‏@RecruitKentucky @S_Embs Coley is coming. Coley has VERY CLOSE TIES to several of the recruits. Wouldn't be surprised a bit if recruits followed.

Here's the tweets in that order and they all were from yesterday
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats the biggest hurdle being the coach at UK.

I agree there is not much SEC talent in the state but we can't loose any, If there 5 this year we need all 5.But we can not be loosing kids to USC [Dawson] and Notre Dame [Collinsworth].We need a recruiter that camps out at Trinity Highland, St X,Central.
I hear that Ryan Timmons (Franklin County WR) 4* is really excited about the Stoops hire. Also heard that Trinity star Quick, said that he would re-consider his options if Kentucky made a good hire. Good news there
Brown is the better option of the two.
Who would you rather have as OC Brown or Coley?? Me personally I would rather have Brown but with these two already have been working together I think coley will be his first choice, just my opinion..
Has Brown said anything about being contacted yet or had any comments made public??