Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BELFRY 8th GRADE
Lets get it cleared up quick.I was on the field and heard the comments and language from TT Knight players..(watch the film)..our cheerleaders were sent to the gym by the judges to preform because of the weather..and as for the hand shake ..the referees said that due to the threats made by TT Knights player that was ejected there would be no hand shake..Belfry is a class act so dont try to turn it around..even the players and fans fr the other schools seen it.
Armchair QB Wrote:I am not from Belfry, but my son has played in middle school for a the last couple of years. Hold backs are a reality in middle school like it or not. Please don't down play what these kids from Belfry accomplished. You are kidding your self if you think the Belfry kids didn't play against other holds backs all weekend or all year for that matter. Congratulations to the young Pirates from Johnson County. Way to make the mountains proud!

I am not taking anything away from the team's accomplishments in the state tournament. I have absolutely no dog in that fight. As a parent from a school where hold back players are not allowed, I feel justified in voicing concern about our true, first time eighth graders facing at least 9 or 10 hold back players. And before you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about, we got those numbers straight from Belfry coaching staff. Now we all know how much development occcurs physically and mentally from one year to the next with players this age. Having hold back players gives a team an unfair advantage and more importantly endangers the kids. Holding a child back for sports should not be allowed ever. It is shameful and a waste of tax payer money. But hey, congrats on a great freshman/iv season.
Gatti-Ward Wrote:I am not taking anything away from the team's accomplishments in the state tournament. I have absolutely no dog in that fight. As a parent from a school where hold back players are not allowed, I feel justified in voicing concern about our true, first time eighth graders facing at least 9 or 10 hold back players. And before you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about, we got those numbers straight from Belfry coaching staff. Now we all know how much development occcurs physically and mentally from one year to the next with players this age. Having hold back players gives a team an unfair advantage and more importantly endangers the kids. Holding a child back for sports should not be allowed ever. It is shameful and a waste of tax payer money. But hey, congrats on a great freshman/iv season.
And you wanted to give spelling lessons earlier. Confusednicker:
The no hand shake was because we were running late cause of rain delay and had to get off the field ...
Gatti-Ward Wrote:I am not taking anything away from the team's accomplishments in the state tournament. I have absolutely no dog in that fight. As a parent from a school where hold back players are not allowed, I feel justified in voicing concern about our true, first time eighth graders facing at least 9 or 10 hold back players. And before you accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about, we got those numbers straight from Belfry coaching staff. Now we all know how much development occcurs physically and mentally from one year to the next with players this age. Having hold back players gives a team an unfair advantage and more importantly endangers the kids. Holding a child back for sports should not be allowed ever. It is shameful and a waste of tax payer money. But hey, congrats on a great freshman/iv season.

If your team elected not to play in the playoffs, and you "have absolutely no dog in that fight" as you stated above, then why are you posting in a Belfry thread? Your snide comments have not gone unnoticed among the good people on this message board and it is very clear that you are taking shots at the Belfry team. If you are so concerned about the hold back issue, voice your concern to the KMSFA or create another thread instead of coming into this one with your "cute" remarks and poor attempts at playing grammar police. These boys played like champions all season and now they should be treated as such. You are nothing more than a forum troll. Congrats Pirates on an incredible season and a well deserved state championship, you've made us all proud. Pirate PRIDE forever!!
I'm in no way trying to fan any flames here with regards to some if the commentary, but I will speak as it relates to the KMSFA.

I was the field administrator for ALL of this weekends games.

I am the one who instructed that there be no post game handshake. This is absolutely due to conduct by BOTH teams. I also instructed that awards be presented separately in order to hopefully reduce the chances of any further incidents.

With regards to Belfry's seeding for the playoffs - there is a playoff points system that is available for viewing by anyone who wishes. Our impartial coordinator for the playoffs (he lives in Hardin County and is not a coach of any program, in case you are interested in that), uses that system along with the verified schedule and results that are submitted by ALL programs that participate. We obviously don't have time to watch game films for every team that submits for the playoffs (we have 157 member schools), so for him to look at the game results from 10 games and truly gauge is somewhat problematic. Did Belfry win every game? Did they play D3 teams? Did they play out of state teams? All of those things matter as it relates to a points average and then eventual seeding.

I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no disrespect in them being given a #8 seed. Just as a team getting a #1 seed I obviously doesn't garner you an easier road either.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want to truly say you are out to be a STATE CHAMPION, then you should be ready to play anyone, anytime, anywhere and without complaint.

Belfry had a solid team. I enjoyed watching them play. Congratulations to their players, coaches, parents and community.

JTB
KMSFA2 Wrote:I'm in no way trying to fan any flames here with regards to some if the commentary, but I will speak as it relates to the KMSFA.

I am the one who instructed that there be no post game handshake. This is absolutely due to conduct by BOTH teams. I also instructed that awards be presented separately in order to hopefully reduce the chances of any further incidents.

With regards to Belfry's seeding for the playoffs - there is a playoff points system that is available for viewing by anyone who wishes. Our impartial coordinator for the playoffs (he lives in Hardin County and is not a coach of any program, in case you are interested in that), uses that system along with the verified schedule and results that are submitted by ALL programs that participate. We obviously don't have time to watch game films for every team that submits for the playoffs (we have 157 member schools), so for him to look at the game results from 10 games and truly gauge is somewhat problematic. Did Belfry win every game? Did they play D3 teams? Did they play out of state teams? All of those things matter as it relates to a points average and then eventual seeding.

I can absolutely guarantee you that there is no disrespect in them being given a #8 seed. Just as a team getting a #1 seed I obviously doesn't garner you an easier road either.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want to truly say you are out to be a STATE CHAMPION, then you should be ready to play anyone, anytime, anywhere and without complaint.

Belfry had a solid team. I enjoyed watching them play. Congratulations to their players, coaches, parents and community.

JTB

Can you also explain to everyone, if you WEREN'T THERE I know President Mitchell was, that Knight's coaches and players came over to us during awards and we all talked and shared a handshake? Both teams were extremely emotional once they calmed down things sailed smoothly. Even had some friendly arguments with a Knight coach who is a Michigan fan. And seeding doesn't matter, we won it all with a tough road and had a BLAST. Thanks to you guys for having us and putting this thing together. We really enjoyed it.
I was not at any of the awards presentations during the Semifinals since all of the games were played back to back. Coach Mitchell and Coach Mann handled those while I stayed on the field. That being said, I have no ability to comment on that part.
P.S. We appreciate the thank you. Belfry definitely had the best crowd turnout of the weekend. Very glad to hear that your folks enjoyed their experience.
KMSFA2 Wrote:I'm in no way trying to fan any flames here with regards to some if the commentary, but I will speak as it relates to the KMSFA.

JTB
with all due respect, you guys at the kmsfa done an outstanding job, any one who doesnt agree should try and volunteer for next years games, thanks guys and keep up the good work
what do you consider as a true 8th grader? and in your opinion what is a hold back, the entire o line on this team is 13 yrs old, so why do you come on a thread unrelated to you or your team and voice your opinion, if you have nothing good to say just simply read and go on and let the kids enjoy there win without someone trying to degrade it, thank you
The season is over, that champions are crowned. The topic of holdbacks or whatever you call it should be over. If you have an issue get involved and try to change something.

I agree that some county shools have students who are 15 years old (after AUG. 1 of course) but when some schools have student who are only 13 as 8th graders it makes a challenge BUT it is LEGAL for them to be that age so there is nothing to talk about holdbacks.

Most of these kids where held back in elementary school, so how could their parents know they would be this size for football/athletics? they wouldn't.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL CHAMPIONS, YOU DESERVED AND EARNED IT!!

BIG THANKS TO THE KYMSFA YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB SETTING UP AND MAKING THIS PLAYOFF HAPPEN.

I also feel a big THANKS needs to go out to Lexington-Catholic HS. The facilities are top and your staff working and assisting with everything were great.

Can't wait to get back next year.
Well Said Coach.
Congrats Pirates!!!!
Anyone that has said that Belfrys line was holdbacks are wrong. Only number 44 was close to the line and he is a holdback, but not a 8th grade holdback, did it before 8th grade. He has all of a sudden grew into the 6'5" frame he has now. One of the other big kids #40 should stay back,cause he is young, as well as all the members on the line. 32,66, and 61 and the rest of the big lineman and are still young kids 13 years old. wish they would. Would be great to go back to Lexington next year and bring it home again.
My nephew is #61 and he just turned 13 a few months ago. Just because these boys are big for their age does not make them a hold back...
belfry forever Wrote:My nephew is #61 and he just turned 13 a few months ago. Just because these boys are big for their age does not make them a hold back...
So what if they are hold backs-It is legal-people need to get over it.:yeah:
I would have to say that Belfry is a great team, and if im not mistaken the closest anybody played them all season is when they played Pikeville and Pike Central. Both big Pike County teams.
Think the biggest thing for Belfry was when they finally stopped playing 2-3 games a week and the coaching staff got to watch film on the teams we was going to be playing. If you notice in the playoff games when a team would line up our boys could tell what was coming. They would start pointing out where the ball was going. Thats the difference between the early games of the year and the playoffs. Great coaching got them ready. The season was won on talent and the playoffs on coaching.
Glad to see a mountain team bring home the title
Actually 3 teams won. Johnson central won the 7th grade title, sout won div 1 and belfry the div 2.
As long as the student is not 15 before Aug. 1 it is perfectly legal.

Some parents start their children a little late to make sure they aren't too young in high school if they think they may play sports.
I've seen some parents have their children stay an extra year in preschool or in first or second grade when they realize they have another year of eligibility.
How can anyone criticize parents for holding their children back in middle school when they are no older than students who just started school a little late or repeated a grade in elementary school?

The age cutoff date is Aug. 1. It's no one's business if they are 13, 14 or 15 as long as they meet the rules.