Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg backup QB Grigsby to Breathitt?
This is a Rumor but I heard that Grigsby wasn't happy with no playing time and wasn't called up to the plate when Jarrell went down.

Is it true he will take a chance at Breathitt? Would he be a good fit?
This is a Rumor but I heard that Grigsby wasn't happy with no playing time and wasn't called up to the plate when Jarrell went down.

Is it true he will take a chance at Breathitt? Would he be a good fit?

He did carry a good record this year on JV, but is he ready to take on the big leagues?
I for one would hate to see him go anywhere. I think that when Jarrell was hurt that Grigsby should have been given a chance to show what he was capable of on Varsity. I also think with a healthy Jarrell that it would be hard to replace him with anyone. Sad thing is they both are in the same grade, so unless Jarrell is injured i dont see a change at QB. I also feel that Grigsby would be a great assett on the defensive side of the ball if given a chance.

I love the kid and hope he stays. I just hope they find a way to get him on the field. I think he can contribute to the team.
Bretahitt will be down next year.
I don't see this happening. Jarrell is the better quarterback, but Grisby is a capable backup. I see Grisby seeing quite a bit of playing time on defense next year, and playing some tight end. He is a good kid and a good athlete. He just has the misfortune of timing, being a sophmore like Jarrell.
The one thing he needs to keep in mind is around four years ago P-burg had a talented, solid quarterback who could throw and run named Brad Hughes and his backup saw no playing time until Hughes tore an ACL then Michael Burchett was called off the bench.
You never know what will happen in football. It is a team, not just the starting eleven.
^ His name was Bobby Hughes.

Just like Hawg Laig said, you never know what will happen in football.

I do think Grigsby could still be an assett to the team on defense. I had not thought about it till Hawg said it, but yes he could be one heck of a TE also. The kid is tough to bring down.
He may have a chance to play next year if he decides to enroll at Breathitt. The quarterback position will be up for grabs next year and If the kid has talent, Holcomb will mold him into a very good player. Breathitt will be very young and inexperienced next year.
Sorry about saying Brad instead of Bobby. My memory is failing me.
You cant blame the kid for moving to a another school if there is a chance he may get to play next year. I know he has allot of respect for Prestonsburgs players and the Derrosetts. I hear he did not go out for basketball , which leads me to believe he is considering a move.. I wish him the best...
Gotta do what you gotta do
Can't say this is the first time I have heard this.....
I think he should stay where he is because Breathitt will reload with a more experienced QB.

Grisby will have more respect if he stays because if he goes, and things don't work out and they stick him on the practice squad he will be in the same boat and want to go back to prestonsburg and then he will be stuck.

Playing time is on all athletes mind but you have to earn it and wait. But best of luck to both teams and the young QB
It's almost a done deal, I wish him all the best at Breathitt County. Coach Holcomb runs a great program and I love to watch his teams play year in and year out.
So his family is going to move to Breathitt County?
IMO this is a big gamble for the young QB...if it was me I would stay put.

How does Breathitt look for next year anyways? Prestonsburg also?
I ask again, is his family moving to Breathitt County?
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I ask again, is his family moving to Breathitt County?

According to the KHSAA rules, he does have to have a residence in Breathitt. I am not sure if his mom and dad are moving because both have jobs and residences in Prestonsburg, so I don't know...I think from what I have heard his dad has a business in Prestonsburg also. Unless he is 18 and it wouldn't matter anyways.:ChairHit:
Breathitt will be down IMO. Nearly all of their playmakers from this past season were seniors.

With a good QB and Coach Holcolmbe, they will still be successful.
Mountain Pride Wrote:It's almost a done deal, I wish him all the best at Breathitt County. Coach Holcomb runs a great program and I love to watch his teams play year in and year out.

How do you know this?
This is such a tough situation for both the player and the parents of the player on what is best for the team and the kid.

I don't know the player you all are speaking about, but I know how stressful the situation can be from a personal perspective.

I am a parent of a boy who played QB all through the pee wee league from 1st grade thru 8th. He was the best QB in the entire league especially his 8th grade year. Many of his former coaches said he not only had a bright future but would most deffinately be playing at the next level after HS. Unfortunately he is in a school district where a new school opened and was delegated to go there. The school was only a few years old and the varsity QB was young and is now a 3 year starter for them. He wasn't going to be replaced, yet if the school district boundaries weren't changed my son would of been the starting QB as a sophomore last year at Ryle. He would of also been the starting QB at Boone, but as fate sometimes throws you a curve ball he was sent to a school where he wouldn't get the chance to play QB because of the current QB who was only a year older would start through his senior year.

As a parent it was a tough decision, he is a very smart kid, NHS and all and a great 3 sport athlete. We really liked the new school and the fact that many of his friends were also going there made it even a tougher decision whether to stay or go to another school. We chose to keep him in the new school knowing that he may not get a proper shot at playing the position he has played his whole life. He is such a good athlete that they moved him to WR and he started both offense and defense his sophomore year, only 2 sophomores last year started the season as starters on this team and he was one of them. He never played WR before in his life yet as a sophomore led the team in yards per catch last year with a 21.6 yard average. This year he leads the wr's in yards per catch again with a 24.1 average. Last year the JV team needed a QB for the first game of the year, this after he played the entire game the night before against Ryle and he in his first time at playing QB in high school set a school record with a 99 yard TD pass in that game to beat Ryle JV. The next week they played him as QB on JV again and he went out and threw 4 TD passes. That was the extent of his QB career in high school and we keep wondering what would of happened if the new school didn't open, he'd be a starting QB at one of the other schools and may be getting some serious looks for the next level. But that isn't how the cards played out.

He isn't complaining at all, he loves playing WR and in 4 days he will be playing for a State Championship for Cooper. Something he may not of ever had the chance to do if Cooper didn't open and he went to Ryle instead or even Boone co.

So things work out in a weird way sometimes, but it still doesn't make the decisions the parents and student have to make any easier.
^^ Great post HHellBird.

I hope your post helps in his decision. The kid in question, in my opinion, would also be an assett to the Blackcats at another position.

I understand the concept of not wanting to play him at another position becasue he is the back up QB, and you dont want to risk injury. At the same time i also feel he would be beneficial to the team on the field at another position because he is a good athlete.

I hope he decides to stay & let things work themselves out.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:How do you know this?
I saw this young man at the Breathitt/Belfry regional championship and he said that he talked to Coach Holcomb during pre-game.
Will Halcomb be at Breathitt next year? Been hearing his name alot.
What will happen if he transfers to Breathitt and yet still doesn't get the chance to prove himself. It would be a waste of a good young QB to have to stand in the shadows of another player once again. Personally I believe that he is better chance of playing where he is and he shouldn't make any hasty decisions.
insideinfo Wrote:Will Halcomb be at Breathitt next year? Been hearing his name alot.

Rumors have been spreading about Holcombe leaving...I haven't heard anything concrete but it is a possibility.
I don't think Holcomb will be going anywhere. There has been a lot of rumors about him stepping down but I would have to see it to believe it. As far as the Grigsby kid, I have been hearing he will be a bobcat next year. The bobcats don't have a quarterback in waiting right now and this would be an excellent oppurtunity for this young man. I have been hearing this kid has a lot of talent but Derossett wants to stay with Jarrell as the starting quarterback. He looked very good playing J.V. ball last year for the Blackcats. If Grigsby does decide to play for the bobcats, Holcomb will develop him into an very good quarterback.
Went to a couple of Prestonsburg games this season and haven't heard of this Grigsby kid. What's with all the hype surrounding him? Is he talented enough to be able to transfer to Breathitt and it be this big of a deal? I apologize if there is something I'm unaware of.
Question I have is if the kid does transfer, did he play any at all this year on Varsity? If so wouldn't he have to sit out a year?
HHellBird Wrote:Question I have is if the kid does transfer, did he play any at all this year on Varsity? If so wouldn't he have to sit out a year?

Justin Johnson was ruled eligible yesterday at Perry Central. Following that ruling it would be very hypocritical of the KHSAA to rule anyone ineligible.
So what does he do now? Stay a Bobcat and hope for the best and a starting QB job? Leave with Holcomb and go to LCC, or return to P-burg? Will he be eligible at LCC or P-burg if he leaves? Hate it for the kid, but he and his parents should have seen this as a possiblity.