Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 38, Louisville Holy Cross 14
Jackson rushed for 300+ yards in a tough, ugly game
All those rushing yards didnt get him beat up did it?
To tell you guys the truth We were overconfident and were overlooking Holy Cross whowas actually wiining 14 to 10 at halftime. We came out and outscored them 28 to 0 in the second half. Apparently Holy Cross didnt know they were supposed to roll over and take a beating they came to play football and it showed in the first half. Hats off to them. I like games like this it helps to focus and give the kids a reality check.
Our O was racking up huge numbers 370 yard offense in first half, 680 for the game. We held LHC to 75 first half yards and 180 for the game yet we were behind at the half due to turnovers and untimely penalities. Just the perfect storm for awhile but everyone in the stadium knew it was just a matter of time until the Mayfield Machine took control and it did so right out of the gate in the second half
Here is something else Mayfield had 600 yards offense more than doubled Holy Cross. In fact had around 300 yards offense in the first half vs less than 100 for Holy Cross and was behind at the half. Game was just weird ton of penalties Holy Cross fan arrested crazy night. 55 what was the story with the fan?
bac2369 Wrote:All those rushing yards didnt get him beat up did it?

No it actually got the defenders beat up on this night
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Our O was racking up huge numbers 370 yard offense in first half, 680 for the game. We held LHC to 75 first half yards and 180 for the game yet we were behind at the half due to turnovers and untimely penalities. Just the perfect storm for awhile but everyone in the stadium knew it was just a matter of time until the Mayfield Machine took control and it did so right out of the gate in the second half

Sorry dude was posting at the same time wasnt trying to duplicate your message
rednblackattack Wrote:Sorry dude was posting at the same time wasnt trying to duplicate your message

No worries! :thatsfunn
Was going to make some negative comment about Mayfield having close game but they did what great teams do. They made adjustments and come out in second half and took care of business.
hubb Wrote:Was going to make some negative comment about Mayfield having close game but they did what great teams do. They made adjustments and come out in second half and took care of business.

If all you saw was the stats you would think Mayfield won by 50 or more. Ever hear the saying game was closer than the score indicates this one wasnt near as close as close as the score indicates. Sometimes you have to adjust to more than what the other team does
Sounds like Mayfield manhandled Holy Cross up front. 600 yards total offense is hard to manage when you run the ball very much. You usually run out of clock.
Jonathon Jackson had 326 yards rushing. New school record. Cardinals had 642 yards of total offense. New school record. The fan that got arrested was wearing a Holy Cross polo shirt and may "eligibly" have been one of the coaching staff. I have my doubts. He probably was just an overzealous fan. I was sitting near a football official who said that the holding calls on Mayfield were unnecessary because "there is holding on every play but you don't call the ones away from the ball or the action." Mayfield did overcome about a dozen penalties and 2 turnovers that lead to the Cougars only scores. I hope the player from Louisville who was injured is alright. They played with heart and class. Good luck next week to the Cardinals against Kentucky Country Day.
Team statistics
Holy Cross rushing 29-105,
passing 5-10-0-66,
total yards 171,
penalties 4-45,
fumbles 3-2.

Mayfield rushing 42-395,
passing 18-21-0-248,
total yards 643,
penatlies 6-43,
fumbles 2-2.

Individual leaders
Holy Cross rushing Drury 6-6, Kaelin
3-21, Schonborg 2-36, Willenborg 15-56,
Perry 3-6; passing Drury 5-10-0-68; receiving
Schonborg 4-66, Kaelin 1-2.

Mayfield rushing J. Jackson 28-320, Guhy
3-13, Mills 2-6, Brown 1-11, Tyler 1-45,
Reed 3-0;
passing Guhy 18-21-0-248;
receiving
Brown 7-115, Mix 4-61, Sherrill
4-36, D. Jackson 2-25, Reed 1-10.
I didn't catch the arrest. Someone had to tell me there was one. I don't know what happened. I did hear someone say that there was someone from HC up behind the Mayfield coaching staff yelling at the coaches, that may be something to do with it.

The Paducah Sun said we had 6 penalties for 43 yards. They had that on the first drive. I really like the 15 yarder for the sideline warning. They usually give you a sideline warning first. I couldn't buy that one. I also heard after the game that the refs were calling the HC players by name.

If memory serves me correctly, we had at least 3 scoring drives that were over 90 yards. Of course it doesnt help when your punt returner fair catches a ball at the 4 yard line. What happened to the rule that the receiver stands at the 10 yard line and if it is over their head, they let it go. This problem is reoccuring. There has to be another returner available.
[SIZE=2]
[SIZE=7]
Jackson carries Cardinals past Holy Cross in Class A
[SIZE=2]
BY JON FUTRELL
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]
Special for The Sun
[/SIZE]
MAYFIELD — [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Jonathan Jackson set a May[/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld school record with 320
yards rushing on 28 carries. The Cardinals needed each and every one of those rushes and yards to overcome a sluggish
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]rst half and defeat
Louisville Holy Cross 38- 14 in the Class 1A Football playoffs on Friday night.
With the win, May
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld goes on the road to face Kentucky Country Day, a
27-12 winner over Russellville, in next Friday’s regional championship game.
Early on at War Memorial Stadium, however, it appeared the Cardinals might
not even get that far. Jackson put the
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]rst points on the board with a
one-yard touchdown run that capped a long drive. The Cougars answered that with a pair of touchdowns that followed Cardinal fumbles. Connor Schonburg made both scoring catches. Paul Wynstra managed one
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld goal, but a second attempt just before halftime fell short. The Cardinals trailed 14-10 at the half, but they knew what needed to be done. “We played down to our
competition,” Jackson said after the game. “Great teams don’t get down on
themselves. We regrouped at halftime and played a better second half.”
May
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld needed just over the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]rst two minutes of the third quarter to drive down the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld and take the lead on an 11-yard touchdown run from Jackson.
The Cougars then drove down the
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld thanks to rushes by Jordan illenborg,
catches by Schonborg and several May
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld penalties. But deep in May[/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld
territory, the Cougars fumbled it away on the Cardinal two. May
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld pushed
the ball back up the
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld and [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]nished with a 31-yard scoring run from Jackson. Jackson would have another touchdown run of 49 yards and Te’Arron Sherrill topped off the late offensive surge when Jake Guhy threw him a 15-yard touchdown pass. Guhy had a great night moving the ball down the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi[/SIZE][SIZE=2]eld. He completed 18 of the 21 passes he threw for 248 yards. Jordan Brown caught seven of those passes for 115 yards. With 395 team rushing yards, the Cardinals had 643 yards total offense. “We watched [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]lm and we
knew there was going to be some running lanes,” Jackson said after the game.
“The linemen blocked well and got me good yardage.” In the second half, the
Cougars tried to
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]ght back by handing the ball to Willenborg, who had 15 carries for just 56 yards. Schonborg caught four of quarterback Aaron Drury’s [/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]ve completions for 66 yards and both scores.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]
–––
Holy Cross 7 7 0 0 –14
Mayfi eld 7 3 14 14 –38
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]
SCORING
M - Jonathan Jackson 1 run (Luke Wynstra
kick) 5:20, 1st
H - Connor Schonborg 23 pass from Aaron
Drury (Trevor Blair kick) 1:38, 1st
M - Wynstra 24 field goal 3:25, 2nd
H - Schonborg 1 pass from Drury (Blair
kick) :27.6, 2nd
M - Jackson 11 run (Wynstra kick) 9:56,
3rd
M - Jackson 31 run (Wynstra kick) 4:07,
3rd
M - Jackson 49 run (Wynstra kick) 7:52,
4th
M - Te’Arron Sherrill 15 pass from Luke
Guhy (Wynstra klck) 6:07, 4th
Team statistics
Holy Cross rushing 29-105, passing 5-10-
0-66, total yards 171, penalties 4-45,
fumbles 3-2.
Mayfield rushing 42-395, passing 18-
21-0-248, total yards 643, penatlies 6-43,
fumbles 2-2.
Individual leaders
Holy Cross rushing Drury 6-6, Kaelin
3-21, Schonborg 2-36, Willenborg 15-56,
Perry 3-6; passing Drury 5-10-0-68; receiving
Schonborg 4-66, Kaelin 1-2.
Mayfi eld rushing J. Jackson 28-320, Guhy
3-13, Mills 2-6, Brown 1-11, Tyler 1-45,
Reed 3-0; passing Guhy 18-21-0-248; receiving
Brown 7-115, Mix 4-61, Sherrill
4-36, D. Jackson 2-25, Reed 1-10.
[/SIZE]
mysonis55 Wrote:The Paducah Sun said we had 6 penalties for 43 yards. They had that on the first drive.

That was suspose to be 16 not 6
It may have been 16 but, all of them were 10-15 yard penalties. Their yardage total has to be wrong as well. That is what happens when no one actually covers these games and then they want to write a story.
mysonis55 Wrote:It may have been 16 but, all of them were 10-15 yard penalties. Their yardage total has to be wrong as well. That is what happens when no one actually covers these games and then they want to write a story.

WELLnicker: Frankfort and Beechwood stock just went up. MYSONIS54.5 you guaranteed us that you would be playing Russelville in round 3 WHAT HAPPENED boy your stock just went down too. I thought we had a relationship in which we would tell each other the truth Confusednicker:I really don't think the redbirds will make it to Bowling Green one player will not beat beechnut or FRANKFORT.Confusedticktong:partyhard:blondnurs this was what you looked like at halftime. GOING TO HAZARD AND STEAL A BUS NEXT FRIDAY
64SUR Wrote:WELLnicker: Frankfort and Beechwood stock just went up. MYSONIS54.5 you guaranteed us that you would be playing Russelville in round 3 WHAT HAPPENED boy your stock just went down too. I thought we had a relationship in which we would tell each other the truth Confusednicker:I really don't think the redbirds will make it to Bowling Green one player will not beat beechnut or FRANKFORT.Confusedticktong:partyhard:blondnurs this was what you looked like at halftime. GOING TO HAZARD AND STEAL A BUS NEXT FRIDAY

Having a Qb who is has broke some school records for passing and Utilizing up to 6 different receivers a game and we are a one man show. Oh 64 i thought 55 had educated u past enough to be just a clueless homer intead u are still just plain loww football iq. If u are capable of reading the above stats and i do wonder about that it would seem to me 300 yards of offense came from someone other than Jackson. Oh well maybe u will just go away after Fri. Nothing personal just feel sorry for you embarrassing yourself.
Well 64, you got me on that one.Confusednicker: I guess the boys from Russellville just dont travel that well.:ChairHit: I hate it for them and for us, we now have to travel next week. I don't think it will slow us down any though, unless they have the same refs we had this week.Confusednicker: Go ahead and keep on thinking that we wont be there, we have heard that before. As a matter of fact, I hope our boys start reading that stuff and then maybe they wont start games flat any more.:thanks: Hey one thing about it, if you steal a bus while you are there, at least you will leave the game with something.Confusednicker:
No that was not a coach that got arrested.
If Mayfield plays like they did friday. KCD will be moving on!!!!
Jackson knew Holy Cross Was there in the 1st Half. He was screaming at his owe players. What about the 2 Mayfield players that got in a fight with each other.
100 Wrote:If Mayfield plays like they did friday. KCD will be moving on!!!!

What about HC giving up more yards than any team ever has to Mayfield's almost 100 year history. Great honor. Somebody forgot to tell HC they play 4 quarters and as for the fight a little pushing was all and the boys are friends anyway HC good luck n basketball.
As bad as the scoring looked, the yardage was lopsided. Also as far as KCD, I dont think they beat Holy Cross as bad as we did. I don't quiet understand why a Holy Cross fan would get on here and say something like that after getting beat. Seems to me they would like for us to move on so they can prove they did fairly well.
Holy Cross was a very young team this year. We only had seven Seniors and 3 of them were hurt. We had 11 Freshman and alot of them had to play. Yes, you beat us. But to brag how bad it was is sad. You set all those records against a Freshmen team. BE PROUD!!!!
100, dude grow up a little bit, I don't know maybe at least til you are 16 before you get on here and post. No one was talking bad about your team. This is actually the first year that I can say they played the whole game with a lot of heart. The last two years they quit when they got down. These boys did not. We could tell your numbers were down this year by looking across the field, so we understand that. I was impressed about how they did not quit. They kept us backed up all night and made us make very long drives to score, that is a part of the game. Your punter was doing one heck of a job in that categorie. I noticed some good sized linemen again. But you are on here busting our chops, when in fact you should be supporting us the rest of the way. The further we go, the better their performance looks. I have already checked and It appears to me that these guys gave KCD a better game then they did us, so why are you walking around with a chip on your shoulder. Hang in there, there will be brighter days. This stuff here kinda reminds me of when we came to yalls place in 2010. We put up a running clock on yall that year. Your student section came walking by our stands on the way out the gate with a minute or two left in the game and began yelling to us that Mayfield Sucks. There is a such a thing as class, whether it is in winning or loosing. Your players play hard, why don't you young guys supporting them learn to play this game with some class.
100 Wrote:Holy Cross was a very young team this year. We only had seven Seniors and 3 of them were hurt. We had 11 Freshman and alot of them had to play. Yes, you beat us. But to brag how bad it was is sad. You set all those records against a Freshmen team. BE PROUD!!!!

Dude dont flatter yourself we hve set so many records the past 3 years that one more against yall hardl makes us bat an eye. But to get on here and talk trash about Jackson after he ran all over you is what started it. If yall are that young you guys will have a bright future. Good luck