Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
35.00%
Belfry
65.00%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 10(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co @ Belfry 11/16/12
MADJACK75 Wrote:I was not trying to compare, and if you think saying breathitt line is one of the best in the state is a (black face lie) you are probably right. but it is not a lie for me to say the pirate line is. all season belfry has had two constants, run defense and the play of the o-line, even in the two losses a stable of running backs had well over 300 yards. also i would like to help you and belfry0304 out on a couple of things. number one zone blocking is not a technique it is a scheme, run blocking as you called it and drive blocking are the same thing it is a technique, and 0304 belfry has not EVOLVED into zone blocking, zone blocking EVOLVED from the veer scheme some of the things they have in common and some not is a double-team in the veer the double is inside on the downlineman playing a 1,2,3 tech.in a zone the double depends on if its an inside, outside or stretch, players unblocked in a veer are playside the down lineman playing a 4,5,6 tech and the olb or d-end, these are who the qb read for the OPTION, in a zone players unblocked are backside or maybe outside if it is an inside run, such as a stunting lineman or a blitzing lb, hope this helps you understand the bloody knuckles part of the game a little better.
Geeesh, I can not wait till this game is over.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I'm not sure what you're talking to me for. I fully understand zone and veer schemes. I know that, while I don't know how often we run them, there are zone schemes taught to our players. I'm not even exactly sure what they do but a coach and a player told me that. Thanks for the re-teaching however, and we are both part of the POND CREEK NATION so I'd appreciate not being talked down to again.
Let me add that they may be calling something "zone scheme plays" that isn't a true zone scheme, but I never really asked for information because I don't care for any zone blocking schemes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Veer blocking ain't broke!
MADJACK75 Wrote:I was not trying to compare, and if you think saying breathitt line is one of the best in the state is a (black face lie) you are probably right. but it is not a lie for me to say the pirate line is. all season belfry has had two constants, run defense and the play of the o-line, even in the two losses a stable of running backs had well over 300 yards. also i would like to help you and belfry0304 out on a couple of things. number one zone blocking is not a technique it is a scheme, run blocking as you called it and drive blocking are the same thing it is a technique, and 0304 belfry has not EVOLVED into zone blocking, zone blocking EVOLVED from the veer scheme some of the things they have in common and some not is a double-team in the veer the double is inside on the downlineman playing a 1,2,3 tech.in a zone the double depends on if its an inside, outside or stretch, players unblocked in a veer are playside the down lineman playing a 4,5,6 tech and the olb or d-end, these are who the qb read for the OPTION, in a zone players unblocked are backside or maybe outside if it is an inside run, such as a stunting lineman or a blitzing lb, hope this helps you understand the bloody knuckles part of the game a little better.

You are dreaming if you believe Belfry has one of the best o lines in the state. During the Ashland game Warren was running for his life in the second half.
Belfry by 2 td
well all the smack between the 2 teams FANS, will be over in a couple hrs,breahitt have a safe trip over and back,but i hope u make the long trip back to jackson with ur feelings hurt once again...go PIRATES
Cat Daddy Wrote:You are dreaming if you believe Belfry has one of the best o lines in the state. During the Ashland game Warren was running for his life in the second half.

He was running for his life the last few plays when the game was basically decided. Let's get it straight please. Most of the second half, Belfry smashed it down Ashland's throat. Belfry just didn't finish. Tonight they finish, and they finish the Cats season...Daddy!!! Just messin around CD. Best of luck and safe travels.

Some interesting notes on the offensive strength of both teams.
Belfry AVERAGES 10.95 yards a carry. O line is definitely a strength of this team.
Cats average a very good 7 plus yards a carry.
Pirates don't pass much, but when they complete a pass it is for over 20 yards a completion.
When the Bobcats complete a pass, it is for over 17 yards per completion.
Pretty stout offensive numbers for both teams and IMO special teams and field position and a big crucial turnover will decide this game.
IMO, two players on both sides of the ball that will be the X Factor in this one for Belfry, and may dictate whether the Pirates win or lose, will be Tony Messer and Sani Warren.

Offensively, we all know exactly what Breathitt will do when playing defense. They are going to chop down linemen with their DL, let the LB's fill the power gaps, and try to eliminate the Belfry interior running game and force turnovers with penetration. Warren has to be smart with his reads, but if there is any Pirate with the chance to bust a big play off the corner by selling a play fake it is Sani. I full expect Breathitt to be extremely prepared for the belly series and for the 2nd man through like always... but if there is one play Belfry has not used as much it is the QB keeper off tackle following that 2nd fake to the HB.

Breathitt is going to play their corners on an island with a single safety playing up primarily in run support. Messer being 6'4 will be a mis-match every time he goes down field for a pass. If the Pirate O-line can give Sani enough time the big play will be there with Messer in the passing game. It is just about Warren making the throw and Messer making the catch.

Defensively, Messer is a beast at DE and is the single best option for Belfry to pressure Trent or disrupt their running game. Belfry's Interior LB's are as good as you will find. If Messer can set the edge and force Trent back inside all night I like Belfry's chances. As good of a passer Trent is, the difference between his accuracy when he is either set or can watch his primary receiver get open is night and day.

Warren is Belfry's best cover guy and he will be challenged often as Breathitt loves throwing that deep fly and taking a shot downfield. Much like Messer on offense, Breathitt has very tall receivers that give them an advantage. It is crucial for Warren to play sensational coverage, but also to avoid PI's.

A side point this brings up is the officiating. I dont know what crew is working tonight or where they are from, but I would put good money they have not worked a game this year of this magnitude with such an electric environment. It is human nature for this to effect the officiating. Typically it means smaller things and plays in the mesh point get overlooked a little more (holding, offsides, procedure), whereas isolated judgement calls are flagged more frequently (PI, Late Hit, Black in the Back). I don't know if this favors either team, but it bares watching especially with the deep passes thrown by Breathitt and the outside running game of Belfry.
My Final Post on this game discussion, and my prediction:

We can break down if's and possibilities all day...we can hypothetically point out each team's strengths and weakness... we can discuss SOS and experience. Ultimately, this is all just fodder and we won't know how this plays out until the ball is kicked off.

What we know with certainty is these are two well coached teams, they are familiar with each other, they both will be fired up, and no game this season that either team has played has prepared them for what they are about to see. The styles are polar opposites. The makeup of the teams is completely different.

Ultimately, it is cliche but this comes down to who executes, who protects the ball, and who is stronger and better conditioned in the 4th Quarter. That is who wins this game and reigns as the better team.

My Prediction is:
Belfry 26
Breathitt 20

I see Trent breaking a couple big plays with his feet after Belfry misses a tackle or blows contain, and the Bobcats hitting a deep ball for a TD wen the CB gets beat and the Safety is late coming over.

I see Belfry converting a Breathitt turnover on a short field, I see the Pirates breaking a big run on a missed assignment, I see special teams setting the Pirates up in good field position for a 50 yard drive, and I see a late drive to win it with Belfry's depth being the advantage. I also see both teams missing XP's to make their fans want to punch a wall.

Above all else I respect the Breathitt program, Holcomb, and the top football player in EKY this year in Trent. If Belfry falls I will carry the Bobcat flag and pull for your team moving forward. It is nice to have a rival who pushes your program to improve. Best of luck to the Bobcats..just not enough luck the ball bounces their way on a punt in the redzone Wink
Belfry needs Josh Robinson and Cam Johnson to play well tonight. If Belfry can force a couple turnovers and not be careless with the ball on O, I like them to win.

Belfry 20
Breathitt 14
Soooo many great games tonight!!!

Best of luck to both teams; I hope for an injury free game!

Good luck guys!!!
Belfry 48
Breathitt 22
:ChairHit: BREATHITT WILL WIN BIGGGGG.
- Hunter Howard
@huntermanuk
Belfry by 12................Oh wait, my bad, it's a football game, not a West Virginia recruiting competition. I guess I'll have to take the bobcats by 13, but only because of a late score to ice an otherwise very close and hard fought game by both teams. Hopefully it's injury free and some of these seniors on both sides will have an opportunity to continue on at the next level.
Trent will be the difference maker. The bobcats win 22-14.
If Breathitt thinks they can stack the box against Belfry to stop the run then they will be burnt all night by Warren.. he can throw the ball all over the field.
Best game of the night Belfry34-28. OT
Belfry_99 Wrote:If Breathitt thinks they can stack the box against Belfry to stop the run then they will be burnt all night by Warren.. he can throw the ball all over the field.

Seems like going back thru the years we hear every time that
Belfry "has X this year who can really throw the ball, we just don't
do it that much" and it's... NEVER true. Belfry may win tonight,
and being at home the smart money should probably be on them.
But a safe bet is they won't have any success trying to throw
the ball.
Observing Wrote:Seems like going back thru the years we hear every time that
Belfry "has X this year who can really throw the ball, we just don't
do it that much" and it's... NEVER true. Belfry may win tonight,
and being at home the smart money should probably be on them.
But a safe bet is they won't have any success trying to throw
the ball.

I really hope the Breathitt Co defense comes in with that much lack of knowledge. Sani may not be Trent (yet) but if the D thinks he's a 2 or 3 shot play action gimmick of past teams they got another thing coming.
Belfry 48
Breathitt 21
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You are right it is a scheme and not a technique. But really what I was talking about its two totally different ways of teaching blocking. As you pointed out zone blocking is a read block , they don't really have man as, it's more of an area. You are also right it is a branch of veer but it is different. I don't agree with belfry been top line in the state. They are a very good line but no where near tops in the state. I would rank them one the tops in the mts but not in the state.
Belfry 34

Breathitt Co. 18

GO PIRATES!
Is this game going to be on wymt if anyone know's?

Go Big Red
No wymt is caring Hazard.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Let me add that they may be calling something "zone scheme plays" that isn't a true zone scheme, but I never really asked for information because I don't care for any zone blocking schemes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Veer blocking ain't broke!
If belfry would of been open to different offense I think they could of had a couple more state titles. They run the veer as good as I ever seen and its not broke but if they get down and a team stops their run their beat. I'm not try to bash belfry cause I have respect for them. All I'm saying is they never have utilize their Qb passing ability & they have had some good ones with big time arms.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking to me for. I fully understand zone and veer schemes. I know that, while I don't know how often we run them, there are zone schemes taught to our players. I'm not even exactly sure what they do but a coach and a player told me that. Thanks for the re-teaching however, and we are both part of the POND CREEK NATION so I'd appreciate not being talked down to again.
I wdidnt want you to think I was talking down to you 0304, please forgive me if I did. the evolved thing kind of got me going and you agreeing with our rival. I am in truth a preety nice guy, nice anyway. I wouldnt care to meet you, anyone over age 40 knows who madjack is on pondcreek. if not my name is tim may. and to title town IF breathitt wins thats who ill be pulling for the rest of the way. but i think we stack up better across the board to worry about that to much.
Belfry 34
Breathitt 14
Belfry 43 Breathitt Co 18.
Belfry 28

Breathitt 14
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)