Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having Surgery
I recently tore my ACL, Meniscus, and Sprained my MCL in my left knee. I am having surgery on November 15th to repair the ACL, and Meniscus. I am just wondering how many on here have had this procedure? Also what should I expect? I am starting to get nervous with the 15th so close.
My nephew had this procedure; twice.
He did great! Didn't even use his perscription strength pain pills either (of course his mom is a nurse, so you have to die and be resurrected before she would think you would need them!!)

I think it would all depend on the procedure, and ultimately on your doctor.

Good luck Jimmy!!
My prayers are with you JD. I had surgery at the beginning of the year for a torn bicep. Nothing in comparison to yours, but I do understand what you will be going through.
Yowzers. You have my prayers.
Thank you all for the prayers. I will be sure to keep you updated.
I did fine with it. You will be too. Youll be surprised at how much stronger it is after the surgery and the other knee will have trouble keeping up.

Goo luck!
Glad to hear from see people who have been there. It was a strange situation because at first I was only diagnosed with a knee sprain. A month later I was still having some discomfort and pain and they finally sent me for an MRI. The next day I got word that I had messed my knee up pretty bad.
Which physician is doing the surgery?
judgementday Wrote:Which physician is doing the surgery?

Keith Hall
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:Keith Hall

Ok, I have heard of him. Was just curious as I am familiar with a number of Orthopedists.
judgementday Wrote:Ok, I have heard of him. Was just curious as I am familiar with a number of Orthopedists.

I have heard that he is one of the best around here.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I did fine with it. You will be too. Youll be surprised at how much stronger it is after the surgery and the other knee will have trouble keeping up.

Goo luck!

How was the physical therapy? How often do you have to go for it?
My nephew went a lot!!
His only complain with the PT was being so sore.
His worst complaint was the inactivity at first.
Praying for you!
Sorry to hear this. Praying for you.
Granny Bear Wrote:My nephew went a lot!!
His only complain with the PT was being so sore.
His worst complaint was the inactivity at first.

I am actually more nervous about the therapy than the actual surgery.
Completely destroyed my knee playing college football. Rehab is a little different for athletes though. I assume you'd go 3 days a week for 6 months.
Real Badman Wrote:Completely destroyed my knee playing college football. Rehab is a little different for athletes though. I assume you'd go 3 days a week for 6 months.

I do not play any college sports. I actually just finished my college and this has delayed me in finding a job. Couldn't have happened at a worst time.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:How was the physical therapy? How often do you have to go for it?

I actually waited until after football season of my senior year to have the surgery.
Mine was a little different, and even the doctors say it was a wierd tear, because i tore my MCL, LCL, and PCL, but NOT my ACL.
I had to go 3 times a week for a while, and it decreased over time.
I could walk on it fine so i didnt need it that bad.
Actually quit going before i was suppose to.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I recently tore my ACL, Meniscus, and Sprained my MCL in my left knee. I am having surgery on November 15th to repair the ACL, and Meniscus. I am just wondering how many on here have had this procedure? Also what should I expect? I am starting to get nervous with the 15th so close.

my son had tommy john surgery about 1 and half year ago took him to beacon in cin ohio he's playing college ball now no pain what so ever
highly recomend them

http://www.beaconortho.com/WhatHurts/Knee.aspx
Rehab, Rehab, rehab
Don't cheat your rehab
nky Wrote:Rehab, Rehab, rehab
Don't cheat your rehab

I plan to work as hard as possible to get back to my normal self. I'm sure it will be hard but I will push through.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I recently tore my ACL, Meniscus, and Sprained my MCL in my left knee. I am having surgery on November 15th to repair the ACL, and Meniscus. I am just wondering how many on here have had this procedure? Also what should I expect? I am starting to get nervous with the 15th so close.

I've had MCL surgery before. My MCL was torn completely off the bone and the surgeon had to reattach it. Took around 3-4 hours (I think) since he had to reconstruct the top part of my MCL and then reattach it. He said it kind of looked like a handful of spaghetti.

It's really not that bad, but don't plan on walking for quite a while. You're going to be sitting a lot, bored to death, unable to bathe, but on loads of painkillers. Find something to keep your mind active. Rehab really isn't all that bad. When I had my knee surgery I was playing football so rehab was just like a light workout for me. Riding a stationary bike, a few leg presses, and some other forms of lifting done on machines. The worst part of rehab for me was when they hooked up these little electrical pads to my thigh and shocked my muscles to keep them from degenerating. If you don't normally exercise rehab might be a pain in the butt, but it was not as bad as I expected.

About three weeks ago I had surgery on my ankle and won't be able to walk without crutches until sometime in January. Again, with this surgery, it's not the actual surgery or rehab that sucks, it's the sedentary lifestyle that will drive you crazy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I've had MCL surgery before. My MCL was torn completely off the bone and the surgeon had to reattach it. Took around 3-4 hours (I think) since he had to reconstruct the top part of my MCL and then reattach it. He said it kind of looked like a handful of spaghetti.

It's really not that bad, but don't plan on walking for quite a while. You're going to be sitting a lot, bored to death, unable to bathe, but on loads of painkillers. Find something to keep your mind active. Rehab really isn't all that bad. When I had my knee surgery I was playing football so rehab was just like a light workout for me. Riding a stationary bike, a few leg presses, and some other forms of lifting done on machines. The worst part of rehab for me was when they hooked up these little electrical pads to my thigh and shocked my muscles to keep them from degenerating. If you don't normally exercise rehab might be a pain in the butt, but it was not as bad as I expected.

About three weeks ago I had surgery on my ankle and won't be able to walk without crutches until sometime in January. Again, with this surgery, it's not the actual surgery or rehab that sucks, it's the sedentary lifestyle that will drive you crazy.

I have played sports since I could walk. I actually hurt my knee playing basketball. I love to exercise and play sports so I feel a little better about the therapy now.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:Keith Hall

I grew up with Keith and went to school and played ball with him throughout school. He lived 5 houses down from me growing up. He and my brother were roommates at UK. He was a good guy. He was always good at everything he did. I'd say nothing has changed. You're in good hands.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I have played sports since I could walk. I actually hurt my knee playing basketball. I love to exercise and play sports so I feel a little better about the therapy now.

Rehab gets a bad rap, but believe me, you're going to be required to be sedentary for so long after surgery that any form of exercise will be a welcomed event.

I've been on crutches since Oct. 16th and will be until January and I would take rehab over walking with crutches any day.

I assume you're going to be non-weight-bearing on your leg, right? If you're going to be on crutches for a while, I really recommend you get these:

http://www.millennialmedical.com/Product...LUE--TALL/

I bought a pair and they arrived last week. They're a lot easier on your arms and wrists than traditional crutches. They also have shock absorbers on the bottom so they cushion your arms while you walk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I go in at 7 in the morning for the surgery. Will keep you all updated. Thank you for the prayers!
I am home and very sore. Mainly just keeping my knee elevated and icing it. They actually found another tear that they didn't know about once they got inside my knee.
^ what did they do for that?

Hope you get to normal condition as soon as possible.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I am home and very sore. Mainly just keeping my knee elevated and icing it. They actually found another tear that they didn't know about once they got inside my knee.

I'm sorry to read Jimmy, but am glad to see that they at least caught that other tear and that you are home okay. You will continue to be in our prayers.