Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Boys Basketball
With the Season about to start its always good to hear about the upcoming teams in pike county. Who are some teams and players that stick out this year?
For me its probably
1. Dortan 2. Mullins 3. Johns Creek
If this gets enough comments i will go ahead and post my preseason "All County" for players in pike county, in my opinion.
Should be a competitive season in Pike County. I think injuries will have a huge impact on how it goes though. I know Tanner Thompson at Pikeville and Noah Perkins for us have both had probable season-ending injuries. 6th and 7th grade year, us and Pikeville went back and forth as the best team, but several more teams have entered that conversation now. To me, Belfry should probably be the team to beat on paper. Besides already having a good team, they have added lots of talent with the kids who held back. Mullins has also benefitted alot from holdbacks as well. They should be very good. Johns Creek and Millard should both be tough. I think any of those 6 could possibly win it. I know that Elkhorn should be much improved as well with at least one holdback and some new additions. Of the other 4 teams, Valley should be competitive (but very young). I know Feds Creek lost alot of kids to transfer and should be extremely young. I don't know alot about Phelps and Kimper.
Hey work, you misspelled Dorton, but that's ok. I still say Millard is a darkhorse and with the injuries I have heard about, this thing may come down to Belfry and Mullins at the end. But you know what? They have to play the games, so let them begin. Should be fun this year. Confusednicker:
I think it wil come down to who improves and how healthy teams stay that are in the mix considering best case senerio's, I like Dorton and Belfry as favorites.
I think that elkhorn can win it all with addition of that miller kid
Dorton should be solid but you never know what Pikeville has. Like someone already said Belfry looks good on paper 3 returning from last year
Did jarret James for belfry come back?
Yes Jarrett James is back for Belfry. This is just a few names of the kids I know are playing right off hand. Camron Catron, Andrew Fletcher, Austin Woolum, Devin Varney, Derrick Wellman, Ray Horton, Austin Hall, Braxton Miller, Josh Wheatley, Mike Sesco, Cole Bentley. A great mixture of Height and Speed. I am sure i missed a few of the 8th graders so sorry, just thought I would answer the question. 3-4 starters back from last years team. Plus a couple of new faces, where the high school and middle school are working together now. Like i said sorry if i missed your name but feel free to add to it.
Everyone has a good big this year.
But belfry sounds like their huge.
And the only player I know they lost was #12 he was their best shooter last year.
a
I do agree with Dorton,millard,mullins and belfry having good teams but look at elkhorn.With the holdbacks,the starters from last year,and the new additions from feds creek i think Elkhorn could possibly win the county championship.They have speed,strength,size,athleticsm,and coaching.They also have a good bench with Dawson Clark who is 6 feet 3 and Michael hamilton who is a rebounding machine and Lucas Belcher who can make it rain from 3.I think Elkhorn will win it all against dorton or belfry in the championship
I do agree with dorton Belfry mullins and millard having good teams but look at Elkhorn.They have two holdbacks from last year,a couple starters are returning and the addition of the feds creek transfers,Elkhorn will be the team to beat.Look at their starters with Braeden Ward,Matt Miller,Jordan keen,Justin potter and Jeremy lambert they have speed size and atleticsm.With Elkhorn you can take anyone out and have a player just as good come in.Look at their bench they have Dawson Clark who is 6 feet 3,Michael hamilton who is a rebounding machine and lucas belcher who can make it rain from 3.I think with that team they will win it alll!
think they lost #12 early in the season, if not mistaken he broke his foot or ankle. belfry should be ok this year, just have to see when the end of season comes how they jell together.
Of the first 7 players, Belfry lost X Willis, Garrett Fannin and TJ Dotson to the high school.
Considering Johns Creek just won the preseason tourney at Mullins by beating Elkhorn, Dorton, and Millard, I think people may want to include them in the hunt for a county championship.
Conn had a wonderful tourney and Adkins was a monster in the championship
SportsFan 11 Wrote:Considering Johns Creek just won the preseason tourney at Mullins by beating Elkhorn, Dorton, and Millard, I think people may want to include them in the hunt for a county championship.

Congrats to Johns Creek on winning the tournament and to Millard for their strong showing. I think most people do include both of these teams in the conversation with the best teams in the county. I think it is possible for any of about 6 or 7 teams to win it, however we didn't get to see what Pikeville and Belfry had today. Both should be very tough. This season should be one of the most competitive we've had all around in a few years.
We just got back from the Night of the Pirates. You didnt miss anything. You can tell the boys have been playing football. Going to take a while for them to get in shape and jell some. I am sure after they get in shape, we will be better off but going to take a while to get the football out of them. You can tell their is a lot of talent on the court and the coaching staff seems intense enough to bring out the best of them. Time to crack the whip and make them get in shape.
proud44pirate Wrote:We just got back from the Night of the Pirates. You didnt miss anything. You can tell the boys have been playing football. Going to take a while for them to get in shape and jell some. I am sure after they get in shape, we will be better off but going to take a while to get the football out of them. You can tell their is a lot of talent on the court and the coaching staff seems intense enough to bring out the best of them. Time to crack the whip and make them get in shape.

Yeah, several of the teams looked rough around the edges today. Things will look much better for several as they get into the basketball mindset. Good luck.
I will reserve judgment until after I see Pikeville and Belfry play.

Good day of game though and some teams are much improved from last year.
Watched a few games yesterday at Mullins and to be honest the county is pretty balanced. They are no great teams in Pike County but there are about 6 or 7 good teams. The team that can stay healthy,come together as a team and catch a few breaks along the way will be your champion in February. These better remember that the #1 seed from each side is more important this year than the past 7 or 8 years because of so many good teams. Coaching will play a factor this year more than it has in the past few years also because when teams are that even, X and O's can win or lose the game.
Most of Mullins hold backs are truly football players.
Play hard Wrote:Most of Mullins hold backs are truly football players.

4 or their starting 5 were boys that were held back and played football. The other was a 6th grade holdback but not sure of his name.
Blake Wallace
Chris Gunter
Ryan Eads
Stone Harris
these were on the bench
Hunter Case
Peyton Williams
Kolton Lyndsey
They looked very promising. I think is going to be a very competive season this year.
The mullins roster looks good in the paint, but the absence of a point guard delivering the ball and being a defensive stopper at the top will end up being their demise.
Have to agree with New O , this year is going to come down to who's healthy and is peaking in February. From watching the teams in the Preseason tourney everyone has work to do. Should be an exciting year of Middle School Boys Basketball.