Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern kentucky football vs Highlands. Shocking stats
‰Fort Thomas Highlands owns this area. This isn’t a knock against Boyd County, which travels to Fort Thomas tonight, because Highlands has beaten everyone it’s played from this area.
The last time an area team defeated Highlands was back in 1954, when Ashland defeated the Bluebirds 38-6.
The overall record of area teams that have played against Highlands — Ashland (5-18-1), Boyd County (0-1), Johnson Central (0-4), Rowan County (0-2), Greenup County (0-4), Lawrence County (0-3) and Russell (0-4) — is a scary 5-34-1. All five wins and the tie came from Ashland before 1955.

Wow this a unbelievable streak of dominance. No wins from a team from our area since 1955 that is amazing. I know there probably have been some teams that could've beat highlands had they played the 75 and 90 Ashland teams come to mind. But still can't believe noone has pulled it off in 57 years.
Belfry is 2-3 vs. Highlands but has a win against them much more recent then that Ashland victory. If I am not mistaken I think it was the 1991 Pike County Bowl?
Actually the 90 PCB. The year prior Highlands ousted Belfry in the State Semi's in OT. Great game that could've went either way. That 90 PCB was totally dominated by the Pirates. Not sure if the Bluebirds even sniffed the endzone that day. Days like that don't come along often so I'm sure that's one that alot of us wont soon forget.
Didn't Leslie County beat Highlands Tim Couch's senior year? The first game not in the playoffs.
The article was referring to the Ashland area it is from the daily independent.
In 2002 Rockcastle Co beat highland 45-6 in the state tournament final four. That is a long way from 1954. I like this though, keep tooting your own horn and I am sure you will get what you deserve.
HonestJohn Wrote:In 2002 Rockcastle Co beat highland 45-6 in the state tournament final four. That is a long way from 1954. I like this though, keep tooting your own horn and I am sure you will get what you deserve.

Please note that this thread was not started by a Highlands fan and I think I am the first Highlands fan to comment.
If you cant beat them then its time to start taking some lesson from them and keep trying, Boyd will show up tonight, they might lose but no sense in letting numbers stop you from trying.
Yeah It issnt highlands bragging and it doesn't include schools in the mountains like Bell co or rockcastle county or belfry on the Ashland daily independent circulation area.
HonestJohn Wrote:In 2002 Rockcastle Co beat highland 45-6 in the state tournament final four. That is a long way from 1954. I like this though, keep tooting your own horn and I am sure you will get what you deserve.

Rockastle is also a long way from the Ashland area, which is what the
post is about.
KENTUCKY10 Wrote:Didn't Leslie County beat Highlands Tim Couch's senior year? The first game not in the playoffs.

Yes--I think it was a bowl game played at Tates Creek High School.
If you are interested in your school's record against Highlands, or anyone elses for that matter, take a look here:

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/opponents
KENTUCKY10 Wrote:Didn't Leslie County beat Highlands Tim Couch's senior year? The first game not in the playoffs.

I know Highlands crushed them in the playoffs, do not recall them playing before the playoffs. I remember in the playoffs that Highlands shut Leslie down and Couch only needed one TD pass to break a state record. Late in the game Highlands put subs in and that is the only way couch got to break the record(no way he would have scored had 1st team D was kept in).
Highlands is The Notre Dame of Kentucky.... Minus the Golden Dome and Mural of Jesus.
sstack Wrote:I know Highlands crushed them in the playoffs, do not recall them playing before the playoffs. I remember in the playoffs that Highlands shut Leslie down and Couch only needed one TD pass to break a state record. Late in the game Highlands put subs in and that is the only way couch got to break the record(no way he would have scored had 1st team D was kept in).

You're right about the playoff game, but the very 1st game of that season Leslie County did beat them. During that game, Couch looked like a man among boys. He did as much damage running the ball as he did throwing in that game and willed his team to win.
The Title says Eastern Kentucky!!
Micro-Brew Wrote:Actually the 90 PCB. The year prior Highlands ousted Belfry in the State Semi's in OT. Great game that could've went either way. That 90 PCB was totally dominated by the Pirates. Not sure if the Bluebirds even sniffed the endzone that day. Days like that don't come along often so I'm sure that's one that alot of us wont soon forget.

38-7 was the final score in '90. Those Bluebirds finished 8-3 but did not make the playoffs.

They have a great history website: http://highlands-bluebirds.com/
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Highlands is The Notre Dame of Kentucky.... Minus the Golden Dome and Mural of Jesus.

Who says they don't have those things too? Ask any HHS fan! Confusednicker:

J/K
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Highlands is The Notre Dame of Kentucky.... Minus the Golden Dome and Mural of Jesus.

That would make Trinity the Alabama of Kentucky football. Sorry but Highlands isn't in the same league as Trinity.
Joker's Wild Wrote:You're right about the playoff game, but the very 1st game of that season Leslie County did beat them. During that game, Couch looked like a man among boys. He did as much damage running the ball as he did throwing in that game and willed his team to win.

That shows what so many HHS fans have said about the coaching staff. HHS shows great improvement from the beginning of the year to the end. They also make huge adjustments at half time and in rematches. A lot of people think it is a bunch of star players, but the coaching staff is what makes HHS so good over Dales time here. That is also why I think a rematch with Cov Cath this year will be a 21 pt HHS victory.
:howdy: sstack subs my :moon: I was at that game tim throw 2 td the first one got call back after the :ref2: didn't want the record broke,then on the next play TOUCHDOWN. Then with 1.22 second highlands put ther subs in on kick return.:partyhard
If someone would change the title north eastern kentucky so everyone would quit wining after I clarified it only refers to the area covered by the Ashland daily independent I would appreciate it.
64SUR Wrote::howdy: sstack subs my :moon: I was at that game tim throw 2 td the first one got call back after the :ref2: didn't want the record broke,then on the next play TOUCHDOWN. Then with 1.22 second highlands put ther subs in on kick return.:partyhard

I am almost positive that on Leslie's last drive HHS had in their subs and it is the only time all night that they moved the ball. I remember very clearly all the hype prior to the game of him trying to break the record, the helicopters flying in the scouts, and I am pretty sure I remember the crowd yelling to put back in the starters as they got in the red zone, because many fans did not want the record broken on HHS field. I clearly remember the TD called back and I remember it being on almost the last play of the game. Maybe another HHS fan can help out if it was our first team D, I really do not think it was. I also do not remember the final score, so maybe someone can help out there too. And I am sure you are right about the ref, I am sure he did not want the record broken:please:
Hatz Wrote:38-7 was the final score in '90. Those Bluebirds finished 8-3 but did not make the playoffs.

They have a great history website: http://highlands-bluebirds.com/

How did they not make the playoffs with 11 games?

That is an absolutely phenomenal website.
sstack Wrote:I also do not remember the final score, so maybe someone can help out there too. And I am sure you are right about the ref, I am sure he did not want the record broken:please:

According to the Highlands website (http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/game-results), in 1995 Leslie County beat Highlands 44 to 42 in the first game of the season. Highlands beat Leslie County 47 to 12 in the playoffs.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:How did they not make the playoffs with 11 games?

That is an absolutely phenomenal website.

I think seasons must have been 11 games. If you look at other years in that period where HHS did not make the playoffs, the total number of games is 11.
Frozenbird Wrote:I think seasons must have been 11 games. If you look at other years in that period where HHS did not make the playoffs, the total number of games is 11.

Makes sense if you look at it as their other 2 losses were to CovCath and Lloyd Memorial. That was when only 2 teams advanced and it would be presumed that those were the two to do so.
Frozenbird Wrote:According to the Highlands website (http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/game-results), in 1995 Leslie County beat Highlands 44 to 42 in the first game of the season. Highlands beat Leslie County 47 to 12 in the playoffs.

I was actually at that Thouroughbred Classic game in Lexington when Leslie Co won. I remember the first Pass Couch threw was a fade for big yardage and he also sealed the game when Highlands was driving with an interception.