Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin Coach reprimands player for wearing Pink
My opinion.... I am sure I am going to get nailed.

My son plays for Campbell County. We have a dress code on the field. Our team colors are Purple, gold and White. We can wear any of those combinations or black. No other color period. If you do, you are drawing attention to yourself and not playing team ball. This was addressed in the beginning of the season in a contract that the kids and parents have to sign.

Now, October rolls around and the coach sends an e-mail to all parents. We will honor Breast cancer awareness month by wearing a pink ribbon on the back of our helmets. No other pink is allowed... Period.

No has wore any other pink..... CC coach handle this very well.

so in my opinion, if one wears it all should wear it. If not it is not part of the uniform. I understand it is to represent ones awareness to breast cancer. What a terrible disease, but if the team does not wear it you do not wear it.
Dudley is one of them and was just hinted at for the hell of it. Tommy is not the other one that I spoke of.

The second one has multiple state title rings...in a row. He's currently employed but is in a situation where he will likely be out of a job within the next couple of weeks. Lets just say this. It'd be nice to have him at Corbin and bring a few more titles to town.
nky Wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-th...er-2012-10
When we contacted the NFL's online shop for clarification, we were told 5% of the sales are being donated to the American Cancer Society. If the pink products have a typical 100% mark-up at retail, that means the NFL is keeping 90% of the profit from the sale of Breast Cancer Awareness gear.

So, for every $100 in sales of pink gear, only $3.54 is going towards research while the NFL is keeping approximately $45 (based on 100% mark-up)

The article you linked to has been updated. Did you know that? The update is the NFL's response to the article. Here it is verbatim. I'll save you the time of clicking the link again. You may need the extra second or two to come up with more sanctimonious crap to post on here.

"[UPDATE] The NFL wanted to clarify their position. While they did not dispute the numbers above, a representative said the NFL does not profit from the sale of pink merchandise. Any money that is not donated to ACS is used to cover the costs of their breast cancer awareness program, A Crucial Catch. Also, the NFL says they have donated "more than $3 million" or approximately $1 million per year as a result of the program that began in 2009."
HAROLD Wrote:Dudley is one of them and was just hinted at for the hell of it. Tommy is not the other one that I spoke of.

The second one has multiple state title rings...in a row. He's currently employed but is in a situation where he will likely be out of a job within the next couple of weeks. Lets just say this. It'd be nice to have him at Corbin and bring a few more titles to town.

Political situation in Breathitt is terrible can you say HalcombConfusedinglepar
HAROLD Wrote:Dudley is one of them and was just hinted at for the hell of it. Tommy is not the other one that I spoke of.

OOOOHHHHH... mystery! The plot thickens! Your posts are like an old radio serial from the 1940s.

"Tune in next week to find out if Tonto can save the Lone Ranger from a certain death!"

Either way, if I join your fan club, do I get a free decoder ring?:happybliss:
Avery Bullock Wrote:OOOOHHHHH... mystery! The plot thickens! Your posts are like an old radio serial from the 1940s.

"Tune in next week to find out if Tonto can save the Lone Ranger from a certain death!"

Either way, if I join your fan club, do I get a free decoder ring?:happybliss:

Chuck Smith from UK , this would be huge
Read the bold print for this weeks little orphan Annie decoder hint.
IMO coach Jewell handled this in a very poor manner, It should have been adressed in the pre game cause you know if you see the towel then you see the gloves!! I dont think that the gloves where being worn to make one stand out it was for a just cause!!! and plays from all across the great country are doing it this month big deal a kid wore pink gloves what the real problem here?? Jewell not like the kid or does he have a problem with his father Bob O'Neill??? sounds like there is more going on than what people out side the program know, just a thought
cherokee Wrote:Pink gloves is a khsaa violation please give me the source to where I can find this violation, would like to read it. I know the towel may be a issue but the gloves?

My apologies, I pulled from our rules and regulations which is intermingled
with KHSAA rules. The only KHSAA restriction is that gloves can not be the
color of the football and they do have to be approved by the officials before
the start of the contest. KHSAA specifically states only white towell so it
would have to be approved by KHSAA prior to the game.

Our policy is that ONLY school colors can be worn during a game and you
can mix and match. Our colors are red, black, and white so our players
can wear any combination of those, period. Any opposing color has to be
voted on as a team, and if the vote is yes, all players must wear the voted
color for the specific game or the season.

Gloves will be an issue for the 2013 with the new NFHS ruling....
I am not sure if it is wise for Corbin to let go of Jewell. Coach Jewell has had a very succesful run as a coach at Corbin. Are there things people wish would change, of course there is but that goes for any coach. Corbin is a good program, and Jewell has done a good job there over the years!!! I do think this glove incident is a little misguided, but common!!
Avery Bullock Wrote:By the tone of your post, I could swear I was in a 1920's speakeasy sitting at a table with Al Capone himself... "Pssst, hey fellas. The fix is in. Bet all your dough on Seabiscuit in the fifth race at Saratoga Springs... don't tell nobody... it's a secret."

You're obviously talking about Dudley Hilton (left Bell County, went up to coach college ball, now he's coming back down to coach Corbin, a high school team that is a rival to Bell).

Then you mention Tommy Greer (multiple rings, younger than Dudley).

This is a blog for crying out loud!!! You are allowed to name names. The only time I don't mention names on here is when it's something negative about a player. If I praise a kid, I use his first and last name.

Do you think you are impressing anybody because you can speak in code. Why not use pig latin on your next post. At-thay ould -way e-bay unny-fay.:hilarious:
The whole town of Corbin has heard Dudley, however you couldnt be more wrong about the second name.

IMHO, the second name is who they should go after and Harold is 100% about who he's talking about.

It almost happened twice before.
cherokee Wrote:Chuck Smith from UK , this would be huge

:1::1:
3rd times a charm. Isn't that what they say? Applied after Cotton and after Whitaker. If Jewell is truly out, You could not find a better candidate than Chuck. He's a big time coach and Corbin is still viewed as a big time program in the grand scheme of things.
^
I sure wasn't gonna say it.....but your right...
The_Rock Wrote:Not one thing in the world wrong with supporting Breast Cancer. Coaches have enough stuff to worry about. Corbin has about 3 different sets of uniforms. The purpose of wearing uniforms is for everyone to match. Im sure if they were wanting to support breast cancer, they would of been wearing pink jerseys, pink socks, or something like that. All the kids could of worn something pink. Not just one guy. To many kids wanting attention these days, positive or negative. But anyway, who really cares. This action doesnt mean Coach Jewell is the devil or should be fired or anything. Sometimes coaches act harsely without thinking first. Getting your ass handed to you by someone is a good way to make a coach act like this. Coaches make mistakes. I think next week is Deer season in Kentucky isnt it? Are all the teams going to break out the green camo to support the deer?

This off topic, and I just wanted YOU to clarify your last two sentences....
Surely you are not so insensitive as to equate deer hunting with breast cancer....
Wow!! I got the BGR Babe when I posted that!! First time.
I have no opinion on Jewell or the silly pink stuff its all a big Pain in the butt for coaches. Half the kids that wear the most don't know a sole with Cancer. But Corbin needs to think here, if they fire Jewell for a parent complaint....and thats what this is a complaining parent..then this will mark the decline of their program it will ruin the reputation as a place where coaches can coach hard and be left alone.
whats-it-2u Wrote:I have no opinion on Jewell or the silly pink stuff its all a big Pain in the butt for coaches. Half the kids that wear the most don't know a sole with Cancer. But Corbin needs to think here, if they fire Jewell for a parent complaint....and thats what this is a complaining parent..then this will mark the decline of their program it will ruin the reputation as a place where coaches can coach hard and be left alone.

Does it really matter if a kid doesn't "know a soul with cancer?" I don't feel that it does. Awareness and support is awareness and support. I would venture to say that all of this could have been avoided, had the player simply spoke with Jewel about it prior to the game. If he had, and it got shut down, I can't say that I wouldn't have wore it any way. But, losing a grandmother and 4 aunts to cancer, it hits close to home.

Honestly, I feel this is being blown WAY out of proportion. I don't know what the punishment was on the player, so I can't say if it was out of line or not. I can also understand why the parents have gotten upset. But I don't think any of it is grounds for firing a historically successful coach, even if he is a little too hard nosed for some people's liking. Put yourself in the coaches shoes. If it's me, and our colors are Orange, Black, and White and a kid wants to wear green gloves and purple socks...TOUGH LUCK. Team colors are team colors. But if a kid wants pink gloves and a pink towel to honor a family member or a TEAMMATES family member, I'd answer like this.

"KHSAA rules state the towel must be white and a certain size. Gloves on the other hand, are only regulated by not being the color of the ball."

So I'd probably let the gloves go with out a problem. But when do you draw the line? As a coach, I know how crucial it is to set team rules and boundaries. You can't let one player get away with something, then punish another player for doing the same thing, your asking for trouble if you do. If it were me, I'd have avoided the contraversy and said ok, this is a spuratic "pink week". But if was a game time issue, with no previous knowledge, I would probably have to refer to the team dress code rules. Just like Coach Jewel.

Can anyone fill me in on the punishment?
whats-it-2u Wrote:I have no opinion on Jewell or the silly pink stuff its all a big Pain in the butt for coaches. Half the kids that wear the most don't know a sole with Cancer. But Corbin needs to think here, if they fire Jewell for a parent complaint....and thats what this is a complaining parent..then this will mark the decline of their program it will ruin the reputation as a place where coaches can coach hard and be left alone.

If they fire him over a parent compaining, it would've been done a long time ago.

And the pink stuff aint silly.
I don't have a problem with it, but you should get permission from your coach first.
the kid in questions father said it was to honor family members who had cancer so obviously this child knows what the cause is. I talked with a friend from Corbin and the pink issue is just the straw that broke the camels back. I was told that coach Jewell has ran off several good athletes for things like parents buying their children identical approved khsaa helmets because coach Jewell did not have any that would fit and the smaller helmets were hurting the kids heads rand coach Jewell did not take the issue up with the parents but instead yelled at the kid in front of he team on this as well like he did with towel. another story i heard is that he is not putting his best players on the field because he wants his son to get all the attention and parents are taking their kids to the surrounding schools because of this and corbin loyals are outraged because of all the transferring.

yes the towel issue is wrong and should get attention but there are a lot more previous incidents involving children and coach Jewell than are publicized that built up to the pink towel making the news. corbin fans are not happy and this is their way to get r id of jewell.
after reading the article closer coach jewell says he did not punish the child in the beginning of the article and then says he does punish him by doing grass drills after practice. whats up with this?
strange danger Wrote:after reading the article closer coach jewell says he did not punish the child in the beginning of the article and then says he does punish him by doing grass drills after practice. whats up with this?

I tend to read an article, get a general idea, then try to explore the facts myself. Far too many times, media sources will stretch truths, switch words, so they are not exactly what they seem. I remember a friend of mine was quoted in a local news paper as saying "We are playing our best football right now, I feel we can WHIP anyone in the state"...when the actual statement was "We are finally playing our best football, I feel we can compete with any body in the bottome 2 classes of the state"

take anything you read with a grain of salt. I look foward though, to seeing what truths actually come to light.
I don't see any problem with kids wearing pink towels, gloves, socks, etc. As long as it is approved by the coach before hand. My brother, who is the QB for Magoffin, wore a pink towel, pink socks and a pink arm band last week and nothing was said to him. There were also several players that wore pink besides him including a couple of receivers that wore pink gloves, nothing was said about it. I don't know what the KHSAA rules state about this, but to me there shouldn't be anything said about as long as it is approved by the coach before hand. I don't know what exactly the story is with the player and coach in Corbin, but if the coach had a problem with him wearing the pink then he should have pulled the kid to the side, away from team and calmly talked to him about it and settling the problem like that instead of calling the kid out in front of the team and embarrassing him in front of his teammates. As for him punishing the kid after practice, that is entirely wrong and I personally believe that the coach took it a little to far.
we had a kid on our team spend over 350 dollars on pink stuff. This is way out of control spending all that money and wearing all that stuff doesn't make anyone more aware of anything. I like the teams doing something but I think as an adult and a coach its their job to put a limit and keep things in perspective. One ribbon, one armband, one sticker, paint the feild with a ribbon or something. But some of it has just gotten like I said silly. I have lost two family members this year to cancer and have another one with no breasts. That is still my opinion.
I too see nothing wrong if the coach approves BTW.
cherokee Wrote:Chuck Smith from UK , this would be huge

Good luck with that one.
I can remember about 6 years ago the Corbin basketball team played the entire season with pink uniforms. Apparently, the red trim on the white uniforms faded or ran during laundering. The white uniforms were turned a very light pink. I don't think there was any less cancer in Corbin that year. If you want to help with cancer donate to the American Cancer Foundation, the Lance Armstrong Foundation or the National Lymphoma Foundation. I don't think wearing pink will help much.... And this is from a recent cancer survivor.
whats-it-2u Wrote:we had a kid on our team spend over 350 dollars on pink stuff. This is way out of control spending all that money and wearing all that stuff doesn't make anyone more aware of anything. I like the teams doing something but I think as an adult and a coach its their job to put a limit and keep things in perspective. One ribbon, one armband, one sticker, paint the feild with a ribbon or something. But some of it has just gotten like I said silly. I have lost two family members this year to cancer and have another one with no breasts. That is still my opinion.

I agree that you have to keep kids in check. $350 on pink atheletic attire is out of control. Obviously, I don't know who the kid is, and this is no reflection on his character, but that sounds to me like someone wanting people to see what his doing, rather than honor something or someone. I also agree that its a coaches job to keep things in perspective. This could have been a positive situation had things been handled better.
The Coach jewell day are over he has too Many big names in Corbin athletics mad and wanting him gone. The towel just made it public