Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin Coach reprimands player for wearing Pink
This thing has been so blown out of proportion. The refs are really to blame, they are the ones that are supposed to tell him he can't wear a towel with anything on it. That is a rule that is usually enforced pretty strictly.
when i was in highschool, many moons ago, we had a specific dress code that forbidded wearing any non school colors such as if our colors were blue and black we couldnt wear orange, red, or gold apparel.

i think coaches do this becuase it teaches discipline among young men and it will help them later in life, however i dont think singling out a young man over honoring his family is the correct thing to do.

If i would have been the young man, i would have asked permission if it was against the dress code even if coach jewell issued one. In reality the kid shouldnt have to ask permission because he is supporting a good cause. Im not taking jewells side but Coaches are heated after big losses so he was probably just calling out everyone and seen him and decided to pick on him which is completely wrong. i hope coach jewell recieves a punishment for this one
IMO, this pink stuff has gotten way out of hand. Everyone on my dads side of the family has died of some kind of cancer, but none have died of breast cancer. What about the rest of the many kinds of cancer out there? Do we need to wear a different color for them too? Now we have these people suggesting that a coach lose his job for this nonsense! Just donate for a cure and quit being so silly! By the way, a friend of mine is in the medical profession and says that there will never be a cure for cancer because there is to much money in it. So we may be doing all this for nothing.
2dog get a life:getwell:
64SUR Wrote:2dog get a life:getwell:
That's exactly what I'd say to those that want the coach fired. I understand that breast cancer is a terrible thing. My wife has had a few scares in her life. But these people wanting a man to loose his job over this are taking it to far. How would you like it if someone tried to get you fired from your job just because you tried to follow the rules! Take your own advise my friend.
All these people that want him fired have wanted him gone for the last couple years.They are just using this pink thing to pressure him out,and thats a shame.
You know, if all these kids and parents and teams, sent their money to research groups to develop new drugs or find a cure for cancer, or gave their money to people who can't afford their cancer medications, instead of paying 50 and 100 dollars for a bunch of apparel they are only going to wear 1 or 2 times, I think more would be done with the money. Never did understand the whole deal.

***For those of you ready to bash me, I lost all my grandparents to cancer, sat beside my grandmother as she died at the age of 13 of breast cancer none the less, my mother will probably be diagnosed with cancer at some point, and yes I will probably die of cancer myself one day........so you can keep your pie holes closed that I don't know what Im talking about and I am just an insensitive jerk.....I know more about it than most of you can dream. ***
fanofpoe Wrote:This thing has been so blown out of proportion. The refs are really to blame, they are the ones that are supposed to tell him he can't wear a towel with anything on it. That is a rule that is usually enforced pretty strictly.
i don't think the towel was as issue from what i've heard is that a couple of the boy's had pink towels and he made them take them off before the game and when he saw this kid in warmups with these pink gloves tell him to take them off before the game don't wait till after the game and try to blame this kid or the pink gloves for getting your butt kicked did these gloves really matter as to the outcome of the game give me a break you guy's have a good team and really good athletes but 34-0 you may consider that as a coaching change not this other crap
It amazes me how much publicity this has gotten.
plantmanky Wrote:You know, if all these kids and parents and teams, sent their money to research groups to develop new drugs or find a cure for cancer, or gave their money to people who can't afford their cancer medications, instead of paying 50 and 100 dollars for a bunch of apparel they are only going to wear 1 or 2 times, I think more would be done with the money. Never did understand the whole deal.

***For those of you ready to bash me, I lost all my grandparents to cancer, sat beside my grandmother as she died at the age of 13 of breast cancer none the less, my mother will probably be diagnosed with cancer at some point, and yes I will probably die of cancer myself one day........so you can keep your pie holes closed that I don't know what Im talking about and I am just an insensitive jerk.....I know more about it than most of you can dream. ***

And I certainly don't think you are an insensitive jerk and it is my sincere hope that no one in your family is taken by cancer, breast, or otherwise including you!

I am going to shed light light on your," never did understand the deal," comment. I'm blessed with a 14 year old son who is a good athlete and loves sports. He too wore pink " IN HONOR OF BREAST CANCER AWARENESS, " not because it's in fashion or the thing to do because it's cool.

He did so to honor his Grandmother who was taken by breast cancer before he was born. It's about making a connection to the past Plant and recognizing a lot of people can relate to and understand the devastation cancer has on families for generations. Sure it's not navy blue, or black, or red, etc. it was a chosen color pink.

I tell you that to tell you this. You are not alone and plenty of folks have suffered cancer in nightmarish forms. And yes people spend $$$ on clothes and apparel. But there isn't a sign that says I donoted a dollar, or 100, or a 1000 dollars, or 10,000 dollars. People do cut checks in addition to wearing the color. And a lot of money is going towards R&D not only for a cure. But also to improve the lives of cancer fighters.

I'm proud of my son and his honoring of his Grandmother. I'm blessed to have been raised by a great lady who I helped fight in the trenches with for over ten years ( much like you did with your Grandmother ). That's why Plant...

As for the coach and the player...simple communication would have prevented all of this and yes it could have been easily avoided...he shouldn't lose his job over it, although based on this thread he may lose it due to poor performance....both could have handled this a lot more effectively. In the meantime, who would have thought the color pink and football would cause such a dust up?

Hope this helps...there's a lot more pressing issues to contend with!