Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 35 Belfry 20
Confusednicker:
WideRight05 Wrote:Confusednicker:
Is that all you got there whimp?:lame: I posted the game and you post crap Im done with you as your football dialect is lacking. Go cry to mommy for you are a true looser.They taught you to be a big pink Kitty cat at school. If thats the best you can do your a fool.TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho
red&white Wrote:Is that all you got there whimp?:lame: I posted the game and you post crap Im done with you as your football dialect is lacking. Go cry to mommy for you are a true looser.They taught you to be a big pink Kitty cat at school. If thats the best you can do your a fool.TongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateShoTongueirateSho

I guess the Belfry edumication doesn't teach reading either. Confusednicker:

Read two posts up from the post you just made bub.
Ashland Daily Indpendent's article is out. Nice read.

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...lfry-35-20
Well there were some bad calls I have to agree. To many men on the field was totally missed an would've gone against Ashland. Terrible no call, there were more against each team I think it was 70 yds to 40 for Ashland. I understand those same feelings I remember them from a a game at ironton just a few weeks ago. Did it cost us the game? Well it sure didn't help us ironton was good enough without the stripes. but even with all that we still had multiple chances with less than 10 mins to go we were only down by 3an running the ball down there throats an basically our own worst enemy but that night ironton made the plays late in the game an won by 10. It sucks but what cha gonna do. Ashland made the plays to get it done.
Shaking My Damn Head....

All I want to say is congrats to Ashland..you have a fine team with some great players and I hope Baker is back as soon as possible at 100%.

What's the status of Justin Johnson? Any timetable for a return? When will Austin Hatfield be recovered as well?

I took a lot of positives out of last night, the world would be a better place if people focused more on that then playing the blame game.

Another point I would like to make is I felt Belfry was a little flat to start the game and it seemed to take them a full quarter and part of the 2nd Quarter to adjust to the speed of the game. This is directly related to playing "down competition" for so long before stepping up. The JC game is positioned perfectly to re-acclimate Belfry entering the playoffs... but the two other top contenders in the Eastern Semi-State will have went literally months heading into their game with Belfry without really playing a team of equal or greater talent. I feel this is a HUGE advantage for Belfry if the players continue to push themselves to improve.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Shaking My Damn Head....

All I want to say is congrats to Ashland..you have a fine team with some great players and I hope Baker is back as soon as possible at 100%.

What's the status of Justin Johnson? Any timetable for a return? When will Austin Hatfield be recovered as well?

I took a lot of positives out of last night, the world would be a better place if people focused more on that then playing the blame game.

Another point I would like to make is I felt Belfry was a little flat to start the game and it seemed to take them a full quarter and part of the 2nd Quarter to adjust to the speed of the game. This is directly related to playing "down competition" for so long before stepping up. The JC game is positioned perfectly to re-acclimate Belfry entering the playoffs... but the two other top contenders in the Eastern Semi-State will have went literally months heading into their game with Belfry without really playing a team of equal or greater talent. I feel this is a HUGE advantage for Belfry if the players continue to push themselves to improve.

The group I was with last night said the same thing regarding the team playing flat. What we seen was when Huddle was put in at receiver,he seemed to ignite the team with some solid blocks to open up the outside for our run game. The players were getting fired up with his play. I thought he definitely gave our team a spark in the second half.
Congrats to Ashland!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Shaking My Damn Head....

I agree now let's move on and get ready for lawrence co. and put this one in the book's.Congrat's ashland on a great win and we all here at belfry wish you and your team the very best.We will see ya next seasonSmileSomeone start the Belfry vs Lawrence co. thread so we can talk about the up coming gameSmile

Go Big Red:redboxer:
I hated to see Baker go down. With all his hype I wanted to see him play. Best wishes to him on a speedy recovery. Belfry really needs to get healthy. Without two of their top running backs, they still competed and that was good. What sticks out to me first regarding Ashland is they had a lot of adversity and overcame it. A lot of teams could learn from that. Two shank punts really hurt them, but they didn't cave in. A really good team and I will take tomcatfan72200 at his word for 74 cramping up because I've always respected his posts. Justice was all over the field and made a huge difference. Congrats to Ashland on the win.

For Belfry I mentioned their health. I would assume JJ will be out awhile and I hope Austin Hatfield gets well. They need him on D, and to relieve Carr at FB. But what a game for Keaton Taylor. He continues to develop into a huge contributor.
The Pirates have to quit with the stupid drive-killing penalties. Those will haunt you at some point if they don't stop.
A healthy and smarter Belfry will still be the favorite in 3A in the East IMO. A lot of football
to be played however.
bucslover68 Wrote:I hated to see Baker go down. With all his hype I wanted to see him play. Best wishes to him on a speedy recovery. Belfry really needs to get healthy. Without two of their top running backs, they still competed and that was good. What sticks out to me first regarding Ashland is they had a lot of adversity and overcame it. A lot of teams could learn from that. Two shank punts really hurt them, but they didn't cave in. A really good team and I will take tomcatfan72200 at his word for 74 cramping up because I've always respected his posts. Justice was all over the field and made a huge difference. Congrats to Ashland on the win.

For Belfry I mentioned their health. I would assume JJ will be out awhile and I hope Austin Hatfield gets well. They need him on D, and to relieve Carr at FB. But what a game for Keaton Taylor. He continues to develop into a huge contributor.
The Pirates have to quit with the stupid drive-killing penalties. Those will haunt you at some point if they don't stop.
A healthy and smarter Belfry will still be the favorite in 3A in the East IMO. A lot of football
to be played however.
I really hope the young man from belfry is ok. It was a physical football game but you hate to ever see a ambulance needed. Hope he is able to finish the season.
One point of criticism for the Belfry coaching staff. In obvious passing situations (3rd & long, 2 minute drill) -- WHY ARE WE STILL RUNNING PLAY ACTION FAKES TO OUR FULLBACK??????

I love the play action game. It can be dangerous when we are ahead or in a close game and have the sticks on our side. But IMO, we can't just "hope" we are going to always have the sticks on our side or never have to play catch up.

PLEASE, put in some passing plays where Sani doesn't have to fake to the fullback on 3rd and 10. The defense is not honoring those silly fakes, the d-line is teeing off and it just takes more time to develop and gives Sani less time to scan the field.

I am a huge supporter of Haywood and all of the excellent Belfry staff, but I am right on this and they need to work on it. Consider this an open letter. :blabbermo
seems like the cramps got better pretty quick, set out 1 play come on ...........
PIRATES dont lay on the field, they play football ....... great post
Great Job cats!
Makes our loss by 22 earlier in the year not look sooo bad!
sounds like you are a pirate fan, following them to a lot of games hey; and if you were telling the truth, you would tell how the Belfry fans get treated, and how they treated us at brethitt county last year.... LI
PaytoPlay Wrote:One point of criticism for the Belfry coaching staff. In obvious passing situations (3rd & long, 2 minute drill) -- WHY ARE WE STILL RUNNING PLAY ACTION FAKES TO OUR FULLBACK??????

I love the play action game. It can be dangerous when we are ahead or in a close game and have the sticks on our side. But IMO, we can't just "hope" we are going to always have the sticks on our side or never have to play catch up.

PLEASE, put in some passing plays where Sani doesn't have to fake to the fullback on 3rd and 10. The defense is not honoring those silly fakes, the d-line is teeing off and it just takes more time to develop and gives Sani less time to scan the field.

I am a huge supporter of Haywood and all of the excellent Belfry staff, but I am right on this and they need to work on it. Consider this an open letter. :blabbermo

Funny how I told my wife the EXACT same thing regarding the play action. That extra count hurts when a D-line is teeing off on your QB. But on to Lawrence we go. Any updates on JJ from anyone?
well said
PaytoPlay Wrote:One point of criticism for the Belfry coaching staff. In obvious passing situations (3rd & long, 2 minute drill) -- WHY ARE WE STILL RUNNING PLAY ACTION FAKES TO OUR FULLBACK??????

You keep making posts like this and somebody may mistake you for a Russell fan. :biggrin:j
FBALL Wrote:You keep making posts like this and somebody may mistake you for a Russell fan. :biggrin:j

He didn't misspell enough words for people to confuse him as a Russell Fan.
^ I stand 100% by my last post. Ask Ashlands coaches/players if they were affected by those silly play fakes at the end of the game. They were coming full bull rush and it just wasted precious time.

Big Haywood fan, but I will try to offer constructive criticism. He is a big boy and it goes with the territory.
He just put "bill rush". Lol

I thought you putty tats were the kings of misspelling and bad grammar.

I'm just saying we both have long time coaches who despite their achievements continue to be criticized, sometimes rightly so, for their old school ways.

Why would the all-time winningest coach in the history of the state do that?
FBALL Wrote:He just put "bill rush". Lol

I thought you putty tats were the kings of misspelling and bad grammar.

I'm just saying we both have long time coaches who despite their achievements continue to be criticized, sometimes rightly so, for their old school ways.
No, we are kings of that Ashland math where it only takes 9 yards to get a first down. Get it right!!!!
Interesting that people have different views of the same game. Actually when 74 came off the field it was because the wind was knocked out of him after sacking the Belfry QB. He would have made it to the sidelines but realized (with some help) that due to game circumstances (Belfry in hurry up) that a sub wouldnt make it in for the play required to get his wind back. I would think to go down and enable the coaches to get a replacement was pretty smart. Nevertheless, great game by both teams. Really could have gone either way. The missed extra point changed the way the last 3:30 could have been played.
WideRight05 Wrote:Why would the all-time winningest coach in the history of the state do that?

You bring up a great point. I will catch myself questioning coaching decisions of people like Haywood and McGlone and then will think to myself "you know he has over 300 wins and I don't" lol
zebraman Wrote:You bring up a great point. I will catch myself questioning coaching decisions of people like Haywood and McGlone and then will think to myself "you know he has over 300 wins and I don't" lol

It doesn't matter if a coach has 1000 wins. The day a coach becomes to good for input of others and constructive criticism is the day he becomes a victim of his own success. Pay to play may have 0 wins, but he made a valid point "no one is buying the fake on 3rd and long"
zebraman Wrote:You bring up a great point. I will catch myself questioning coaching decisions of people like Haywood and McGlone and then will think to myself "you know he has over 300 wins and I don't" lol

Yeah, but a play action to the fullback on 3rd and 10? lol.

Haywood is a good coach but he is a shell of Dale Mueller and Bob Beatty.
ASHLAND — Leon Hart called it likely the most physical game he has been involved in during a 10-year stint as Ashland’s head coach.

On Senior Night, the Tomcats used big plays on both sides of the ball to beat Belfry 35-20 in a bruising battle at Putnam Stadium.

Ashland lost its top offensive weapon, freshman running back Quinton Baker, to a sprained foot on the first series but turned to its passing game and a relentless defense in the matchup of Top 10-ranked teams.

“It was a playoff atmosphere,” Hart said. “The intensity, emotions and physicalness were all there. That’s why we scheduled it.”

Belfry, No. 4 in Class 3A, took advantage of a 5-yard Ashland punt to close to within 21-20 with 3:37 remaining, but missed the extra-point kick.

Ashland faced third-and-five from its 34 with more than 2 1/2 minutes remaining, but Malik Massey took a handoff in the backfield and found a hole on the right side. Massey, a wideout who also played tailback Friday in Baker’s absence, pulled away from a defender and sped 66 yards to end zone.

“He was tugging on my jersey,” Massey said. “I was worried that I was not going to get the first down. Then I felt the open space. Logan (Salow) made an amazing block on the safety or I wouldn’t have been able to score.”

Massey, who also caught a 63-yard TD pass from quarterback Aaron Elam in the first half, was among 18 seniors recognized before the game.

“We felt the emotion as soon as we left the locker room and came back out on the field,” Massey said. “Everybody had tears in their eyes.”

Fittingly, the Tomcats’ defense iced the victory.

After a personal foul against Belfry backed the Pirates up to Ashland’s 47, defensive end Cade O’Bryan sacked quarterback Sani Warren as the ball came loose. Linebacker Shannon Justice scooped it up, regained his balance after a fumble, and carried the ball 36 yards for a score with 1:11 left.

“This whole season I joked with Cade that I was going to score,” Justice said. “He had two (defensive scores) in our first game, one that I helped with. This time, he caused the fumble and I picked it up.”

Justice and O’Bryan both had big nights as part of a jarring performance by the Tomcats’ defense, which allowed only 158 yards on the ground against a strong rushing attack.

Both noted Senior Night as providing extra incentive.

“We wanted to make it special,” Justice said. “There were some seniors I played my whole life with that didn’t get to play tonight.”

Fullback Cody Watts, center Drew Walters and running back Jeremy Jackson are sidelined with injuries.

O’Bryan got banged up a couple of times, one time dropping to the field and rolling over onto his back, but returned to the field both times and turned in another ferocious effort.

“We played our hearts out,” O’Bryan said. “I’m glad we could win it for the three seniors that couldn’t play tonight. It was a straight up war.”

The sixth-ranked 4A Tomcats led 21-7 at halftime and won for the seventh time in eight games. Elam threw a 15-yard pass to C.J. Johnson for the first score and Evan Yongue added a 1-yard TD run late in the half after Elam connected with Salow for 45 yards.

“In games like this, it’s a matter of who makes plays at the right time,” said veteran Belfry coach Philip Haywood. “We didn’t make plays and Ashland did. It was a physical game, a great crowd game.”http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...lfry-35-20