Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to the new renaissance of Kentucky basketball!
So as I waited patiently for the decision of the Harrison twins I realize some things about our Kentucky Wildcats. As the news hit that Andrew and Aaron was bring their dynamic talent to Lexington, it was pretty evident that the Wildcats are well on their way to a #1 recruiting class and most likely the greatest recruiting class of all time. One can assume this because of the fact that we are involved with 3 of the remaining "top seven" (#1 Julius Randle, #5 Aaron Gordon, and #7 James Young), with the high school phenom, Andrew Wiggins, possibly reclassifying into this same class.... This recruiting class is on track to be unprecedented, unmatched, and unbelievable- And would never be done again (unless Cal got to top 5 players in one class). This is what the wildcats have coming for the future, so, where are we currently?

Coming off the best college basketball season since the dominant UCLA days of John Wooden, UK now enters this season with its eighth national title in hot pursuit of the ninth! This is not an understatement in the least seeing as though the talent level in college basketball will be down in comparison to last year. So as many would expect that this would be the proverbial “down year” like two years ago with Mr. Knight and Mr. Liggins, people should realize that the potential to repeat is very, very prevalent. Kentucky will be ranked no lower than 4 to start the year, with the most talented team all in part to the #1 recruiting class set up by Cal last year. The most dominant teams this year will simply not be as strong as the ones from a year ago, as the parity will be at a very high level. So where does that leave Kentucky?? In the spot that we all want them to be-right in middle of the title hunt, in the conversation for the best teams, and up to bat to make the final four. As Cal says, if you get to the final four, it is anyone’s to win, and this team can get there.

Now, as for the years leading up to the current state of UK basketball, we can all attest to the miserable Hell that we had to endure through the latter part of Tubby’s stent in Lexington as well as the Bill Clyde debacle. As the fan base realized that the program had deteriorated to a point of irrelevance, the mass panic and frantic nature seemed to set the program back even more. The lack luster and downright depressing departure of Tubby Smith (who I still love to this day), gave way to the strangest period that Kentucky basketball may endure (beside sanctions). The miserable nature of the players/coach seemed to ultimately send the program into a tailspin that seemed would never end. Enter John Calipari, the most polarizing figure in all of college basketball. It seemed like a match made in heaven for a coach that had a national disdain against him to be the head man at a program that 70% of the county would want to have perpetually have a downtrend. As the spirit of the fan base and the talent level of the players skyrocketed to the basketball heavens, the national spotlight began to shine on the program again. In the coming months, the media began to realize that the combination of Cal/UK would not only send tremors through the basketball world, but move the needle. The first year of Cal gave us the quick glimpse into the world that he was forming here in Lexington. He was fusing the best talent, with the best fan base, with the best facilities.

As the first year first year came to a disappointing end at the hands of West Virginia, I think the sting kept a lot of fans from realizing what that class did for this program. We were back in the hunt for national titles, year in and year out, with Cal as our coach. Evidence shown through the next year as a different level talent brought Cal back into the final four…. We had the chance and were up to bat. That was all that the fan base had wanted for so long!! Cal simply had been telling us to enjoy the ride that it will all work out. Flash forward one year and Cal is back in the final four with the best team of the modern age of college basketball. Leading him to his first title and the Big Blue Nation’s prized possession- another national title.
So, as we all bask in the enjoyment of the Harrison Twins commitment a the inendending success to follow, we all need to take a second, remember were this program was 4 years ago and smile, because it is only going to get better! We have now entered into the new “Golden Days” to be a Wildcat, the New Renaissance of Kentucky Basketball!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hope they all come to UK.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I hope they all come to UK.

I think it is almost a set thing that Young wants to come here. Randle is a little lower percentage but not by much. Wiggins is a big UK lean but will he reclassify??
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Randle and Wiggins are great athletes.. Of course I'd rather have Wiggins but Randle is a great player too.
Only thing I can disagree with there is that I'd have to say '96 UK was the most
dominating team in college baskertball since the UCLA days. Love this years team,
love the title. But '96 UK just assasinated teams.
I've been convinced that Wiggins is going to FSU, in whatever class he chooses. But with the Harrison twins coming to UK, anything is possible with Coach Cal. Hope he comes to UK.
Observing Wrote:Only thing I can disagree with there is that I'd have to say '96 UK was the most
dominating team in college baskertball since the UCLA days. Love this years team,
love the title. But '96 UK just assasinated teams.

Yea, I thought about that and it really is like choosing between two perfect things. Like but for the purpose of this post I mainly sided on the 2012 teams side as the best team I have seen in my lifetime. I was able to enjoy the 1996 title as a kid but not fully enjoy and take note of what is being done like I did with this one. Both are shockingly... I mean shockingly similar how their season ended up going but I have to go with the dominant landscape of college basketball last year, 5-6 great teams competing again UK.

But anyways, to simply make this post more relevant, I used Cal's best team since in Lexington. But, like I said that 1996 was just as good!
[SIZE="4"]
Beautiful man. Beautiful!
'96
'12
'54

Best UK teams ever
96 best ever in college bball.
Yu guys are right that choosing between '96 and '12 is like choosing between
chocoalte chip cookies and apple pie, both wonderful in their own way. But
I don't see the similarity between the way the years went, outside of an SEC
tnmt. loss. '96 UK had the one early hiccup that woke them up, and then just
DOMINATED the regular season in a way that has seldom been seen. '12 UK
certainly gutted and gritted out a fantastic record, but they had to work
to find themselves and become great, which they DID, but they never
annihilated good teams the way '96 UK did.
James Young will be a Kentucky Wildcat tomorrow. This really is going to be a ridiculous class!
We now have the 3rd, 4th, 7th and soon to be 1st players in the country!
[SIZE="4"]
I am convinced that when it is all said and done, this recruiting class will be the best recruiting class of all-time!! It truly is GREAT to be a Kentucky Wildcat Basketball fan!!TongueirateSho
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON