Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the City of Pikeville Invest in a Soccer Complex???
I know that soccer isn't a big sport in eastern ky like football and basketball...but it is growing rapidly. It is hard enough for the high school teams to get practice time in around the h.s football, jr. high football, and college football teams. If Pikeville college gets a womens and mens team, where will they play? The W.C. Hambley Athletic Complex is busy as ever, and I don't think they have the time for any other teams to call Hillard Howard field their home. But if the soccer teams don't play there where do they play? Bob Amos is in horrible shape for a soccer field, and the PCYSA fields behind Wal-Mart don't cut it. I think they need to plan to invest in some new fields...what is everyone else's views?
They don't need a new soccer complex....Theres nothing wrong with the fields behind Wal-Mart or the Bob Amos fields....
I think that they should get a soccer complex so the football team doesn't have to kick them off of the field everyday Idea Banane09.:
They use the new million dollar football field, so no I don't think they need one.
alfus21 Wrote:They don't need a new soccer complex....Theres nothing wrong with the fields behind Wal-Mart or the Bob Amos fields....

The is to something wrong with the fields behind Wal-mart, and Bob Amos. Besides NOT being regulation size fields, they barely have grass...It is a big mud mess. Plus, at the wal-mart fields there isnt even bleachers. If you were to play on bob amos you would be lucky to come out with no sprained ankles due to the holes in the ground from shotput and disc. It doesnt need to be a million dollar field like football had, but it needs something...If people from eastern kentucky knew soccer, they would see it different.
I think if Pikeville follows up on their athletic plans then it should all be good....The plans call for there to be a football AND a soccer practice field located where the old WLSI used to be (right behind the baseball stands)....and with this it would really open up the main field for more games.....and not to mention the fact that the college still has their field behind Wal-mart where they could return to football practice and/or use that for their soccer teams some. Getting the new practice facilities as planned should easily solve this problem.

When is the college supposed to start it's soccer programs?
phsplyr17 Wrote:I know that soccer isn't a big sport in eastern ky like football and basketball...but it is growing rapidly. It is hard enough for the high school teams to get practice time in around the h.s football, jr. high football, and college football teams. If Pikeville college gets a womens and mens team, where will they play? The W.C. Hambley Athletic Complex is busy as ever, and I don't think they have the time for any other teams to call Hillard Howard field their home. But if the soccer teams don't play there where do they play? Bob Amos is in horrible shape for a soccer field, and the PCYSA fields behind Wal-Mart don't cut it. I think they need to plan to invest in some new fields...what is everyone else's views?
What about the soccer boosters working on the fields that are in place to get them up to par?
The PHS soccer boosters are tryin to raise as much $$$ as possible, but it is hard when you have little support from the school, plus we have 1 booster club representing 2 teams (girls and guys). But overall they are doing good by keeping the team equiped with new uni's, helping out in MLS camps, and working other duties to help support PHS Soccer.
I play soccer and i do not think they need a "soccer complex". Only a couple of times were we kicked off the field due to Football. IMO as a third year program i dont think we could ask for better conditions. If soccer ever gets to be the premiere sport at Pikeville, which it wont, then maybe a soccer complex would be needed. I agree with Beef in that if they follow through with their sheduled plans the soccer team will have its own practice field and that should cover the scheduling conflicts that exist now.
What ever they do, they need to get off of the FOOTBALL FIELD. I get in this argument with my sisters everyday......They made that upgrade to the field for a couple reasons....

1: Football
2: Baseball

That is it....Come on , if they intended it to be used for soccer they would have named it the "Calvin Wheat Soccer Field" LMAO.....
Not Hillard Howard Field.

I always hated having to go over to the practice field during football season just so the precious soccer team could practice......LOL
Soccer will be the death of football at Pikeville!
No kiddin.....The Soccer Boosters are the ones that get all the profits from the football games....I know they work them...But I think the forced the football boosters to let them work it.