Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brackets Released
Brackets are here
I thought they would never release them.
why do we need three divisions if there are teams that only have to win one game to make the final 4.
I think your question is a good one.

Our #1 answer is that it offers more opportunities to kids.

Another part of the answer was that for the first few years we were told by some schools that they couldn't compete with the larger schools. So we made 2 divisions, then the following year we made 3.

To be 100% honest, the western end of the state has not gone up in membership like we'd hoped. The eastern end has. The central part has always been heavy.

In my personal opinion, it baffles me how ANY middle school coach in this state could know about the opportunities the KMSFA provides (we are sooooo much more than just a state playoff/championship organizer) and not want to offer them to his/her program. There are also coaches out there who get in and out depending on if ther team is good from year to year. Again, just being honest, that is not conducive to the KMSFA being a sustainable model. Most of ou members now are long term members. We pick up meet ones every year. I also feel like the middle school programs in this state tht are serious about football participate with us. If they don't (and if they take offense to my last statement) well then I personally offer them an invite to join and participate and show me differently?

I hope this at least a little bit I insight?
After reviewing the brackets, I think it's time for the KYMSFA to consider merging D-2 and D-3.
All I'm going to say, for now, is LOL. I know it goes by a point system, and it's one argument to say HEY We're 11-0, why are we an 8 seed? But when you beat the 5 seed in your same region 14-8, and 29-6 ... then maybe we should be a little higher.

Oh and we shut out the 3 seed in Region 4, Divison 1 (Who is the 3 seed behind the Pulaskis)
Wildcat18 Wrote:After reviewing the brackets, I think it's time for the KYMSFA to consider merging D-2 and D-3.

Why do you think that?
how is pike central a higher seed than Belfry middle...we defeated them twice during the season...?
padd4pirate Wrote:how is pike central a higher seed than Belfry middle...we defeated them twice during the season...?

By 23 the second time we played them ... LOL.
Why would KYMSFA schedule a team in the seventh grade bracket the same day of a conference championship. Is there no value or respect for these conferences. What really sucks is that it is play in game. They have had plenty of time to produce these brackets. Why is a team with three losses getting a play in game? This is bull s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meece should not be in Region 4. It stretches from Raceland to somerset. When 2 teams Glasgow and campbellsville in Region 2, are significantly closer...
plantmanky Wrote:Why do you think that?

Only two teams in one region in both divisions? Let alone different regions. It's easy access to getting in, while others who are playing for a chance at a play-in game in other regions. It's not fair to those guys who sweat the decision as to whether or not they'll even make the playoffs.

Also changing the topic, how does a #4 seed get a bye over a #2 or #3 seed? Some things I do not understand I guess.
Some of those seedlings are because of teams fieldin both a 7th and 8th grade squad. They were placed up or down a spot in order to make them able to play both games on upcoming Saturdays (in other words so they don't have to split a staff/players and be on two different aides of the region unless there is no other possibility).

As for conference championships, the dates of the state playoffs have been published since Feburary. Especially in these opening weeks, we try our best to accommodate conference tournaments, but with the amount of teams we are dealing with, it's impossible to blanket them all. I think it comes down to priorities. Which do you want more? You conference championship possibly? Or a possible state championship? I know for my program that's a no brainer.
Okay well Belfry has no 7th grade squad, so if we got moved down for that... that's ridiculous.
can i access the brackets somewhere other than this site?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Okay well Belfry has no 7th grade squad, so if we got moved down for that... that's ridiculous.

Maybe you played a weaker schedule. That makes a difference. I suggest you load your schedule with D-1 opponents in the future and quick picking on the little guys in D-3.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Maybe you played a weaker schedule. That makes a difference. I suggest you load your schedule with D-1 opponents in the future and quick picking on the little guys in D-3.

We played our county games, as required, in that we beat Division 2 Pike Central (a 5 seed over us) 14-8 and 29-6, we also played Division 2 (though they missed the tournament) Verity, and the 3 seed in the toughest region in D1 Johnson Central ... and beat them. You'd have a good argument if it wasn't for the fact I know who Pike Central played, and I know we beat them.
JagSwag Wrote:Why would KYMSFA schedule a team in the seventh grade bracket the same day of a conference championship. Is there no value or respect for these conferences. What really sucks is that it is play in game. They have had plenty of time to produce these brackets. Why is a team with three losses getting a play in game? This is bull s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would they know a teams conference championship was that day? It clear says in the 2012 KYMSFA information packets that were emailed out a dozen times or so that the first playoff games would be Oct 9 and Oct 13.
JagSwag Wrote:Why would KYMSFA schedule a team in the seventh grade bracket the same day of a conference championship. Is there no value or respect for these conferences. What really sucks is that it is play in game. They have had plenty of time to produce these brackets. Why is a team with three losses getting a play in game? This is bull s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rings and trophies are more important than conference shirts. The sooner you understand that, the sooner you can run with the big dogs. You'll never advance your program until you're willing to put your conference on the back burner. Take Bell and Knox for example. They were scheduled to play tonight to finalize the conference play for the SEC of KY middle school football and canceled. Look them both up in the D-1 bracket and see why.
I completely agree that these opportunities are fantastic for our youth programs and not participating only hurts your school. I know there are lots of people who don't participate because they play in a conf, but to me winning a state championship should be the goal of every team.

I agree that the small schools cant neccessarily compete with the large schools. But also to that point there are always going to be bigger schools and smaller schools. I think 2 divisions is the right set up. yes, it makes it harder for your really small division 3 schools to compete but it gives the middle of the pack teams or the smallest division 2 teams a more even playing field. I am by no means trying to diminish the great things the association has done. I am just giving my opinion on what would take it forward.
When all members for the year are received the guys running it should sit down and divide that by 2. Whatever that number is would determine who is division 1 and 2 for that year. if for example we had 100 schools join. Then the top 50 schools by enrollment would be divison 1 and the other 50 division 2. Then determine by this number how many playoff spots we wanted. 24 for example would allow for 6 teams in each region with two teams per region receiving a bye. I know geography comes into play but now there should be a rough enough amount of data to determine about which schools are going to join each year and the regions could be drawn in order for there to be reasonable distances for all teams. Of course there will be special cases where neutral sites could be used. and if this was a huge issue you could do 8 regions or districts and let the closest two district/regions from each area play against each other at a neutral site. No model will ever be perfect but I think this could possibly work. But I'm open to criticisms as well. I think it would just make each division more competitive.
I just hate winning a conference championship due to a forfeit from our competitor because they are registered in the KYMSFA. I tried to get our coaches and AD to register this year, but, they did not. I am just frustrated!
RichBrooks Wrote:I completely agree that these opportunities are fantastic for our youth programs and not participating only hurts your school. I know there are lots of people who don't participate because they play in a conf, but to me winning a state championship should be the goal of every team.

I agree that the small schools cant neccessarily compete with the large schools. But also to that point there are always going to be bigger schools and smaller schools. I think 2 divisions is the right set up. yes, it makes it harder for your really small division 3 schools to compete but it gives the middle of the pack teams or the smallest division 2 teams a more even playing field. I am by no means trying to diminish the great things the association has done. I am just giving my opinion on what would take it forward.
When all members for the year are received the guys running it should sit down and divide that by 2. Whatever that number is would determine who is division 1 and 2 for that year. if for example we had 100 schools join. Then the top 50 schools by enrollment would be divison 1 and the other 50 division 2. Then determine by this number how many playoff spots we wanted. 24 for example would allow for 6 teams in each region with two teams per region receiving a bye. I know geography comes into play but now there should be a rough enough amount of data to determine about which schools are going to join each year and the regions could be drawn in order for there to be reasonable distances for all teams. Of course there will be special cases where neutral sites could be used. and if this was a huge issue you could do 8 regions or districts and let the closest two district/regions from each area play against each other at a neutral site. No model will ever be perfect but I think this could possibly work. But I'm open to criticisms as well. I think it would just make each division more competitive.

1. Not all teams that register play in the playoffs so while a nice idea, logistically it wont work because of that some teams in the association never compete in the playoffs (for whatever their reasons are) but take benefit of the other oppourtunities the KYMSFA offers.

Now if every MS team in the state joined the association, could comply with a set standard of rules, turn in paperwork on time, answer emails and calls in a timely manner........hell nevermind.....lol.
I wish all the teams good luck and let every player leave each game healthy!
Looks like greenup has their work cut out for them. First three game look to be Belfry, Mason, Corbin.... Wow.
I wish I could actually view the brackets
Good luck to all, but especially Boyd County!
We have to beat MC first! What can ya tell me about Greenup? They undefeated?
GC didnt play mc, but i think they only won a few games. GC is 8-1, lose to a very good Raceland team in triple overtime. Look forward to u guys coming to town, should be a good game.
No need to complain, the brackets are set. Lets enjoy the playoffs. Good luck to all!!
GO RAIDERS
Pike Central beat Martin Co earlier this season 30-6