Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Kentucky Golf Course?
Golf season is here, and I'm finally starting to get back in the mood..I'm hoping to play some more courses around the state and actually just outside of the state if it's not too far...So I ask, what is your favorite course to play?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I havent played all that many courses in the state. Mostly in eastern kentucky. One out of state that i played at was pretty nice. Sugarwood in West Virginia...but i havent been around that much!
Looks like I really sparked some interest with this thread Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My personal favorite would be The Bull Golf Club in Richmond, KY. It's a nice course, even though I'm not much of a golfer....
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:My personal favorite would be The Bull Golf Club in Richmond, KY. It's a nice course, even though I'm not much of a golfer....

I've heard a lot of good about that course and will be sure to check it out this summer...I found some pics of it on the internet and it looks awesome...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lincoln Trail just outside of Radcliff, Ky isn't bad and Ft. Knox has 2 really nice ones. Anderson and the other slipps my mind, but it is right next to the Gold Vault. You used to could pay and play at one and then go to the other one and keep playing. Two beautiful courses. There is also one just north of Ashland near the Flying J, I think it is called Diamond Links?? It has been a couple years but for the price, $18 for 18 holes with cart, you can't beat it!
The other one at Ft. Knox is called Lindsey. Much more open than Anderson.
The Champions Golf Club in Lexington is great, but it is private. Kearney Hills in Lex. is a good public course.
Boone Links in Boone Co. very challenging course pretty long.
I like where they play the high school KIT every year. Can't remember the name of it, but it is in Lousiville.
jchsrulz Wrote:...

Point being?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pretty good website with Course Photos, and a message board.
http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Eagle Ridge @ Yatesville is a tough course.
Wasiota Winds in Pineville, a 5 year old $15 million state park course, is a great links style layout, with water coming into play on 13 holes. It has big, undulating bent grass greens, and bent fairways. It plays just over 7,000 yards off the back tees, 6300 off the 2 tees, and 5800 from the third tees. A very fun course to play.
I think Wasiota and the Grayson Lake course (in Carter County) are two of the best courses in Eastern Kentucky. I hear Yatesville Lake Course n Lawrence County is also a wonderful course, but I haven't played it yet. I hope to get to play it this summer. I've played Stonecrest in Floyd County a couple of times, but was not very impressed with it, especially if it cost $27 million to build, which is what I was told. I expected a little more for those kind of bucks. It's an okay course, but not in the same class with Wasiota or Grayson Lake, imo.
Old Silo in Montgomery County is a great course too. 96 sandtraps.:yikes:
Crooked Creek in Laurel County is a pretty good course, but it has about 5 holes that are not so-called "good" holes. They're what a friend of mine used to call "rinky dink holes".
The course at Yatesville is one oof my least favorite if your 60 years old and can drive the ball no further than 210 off the tee you might like it. Gibson Bay is my favorite in KY I've played. Kearney Hills and The Bull round out my top 3.
if you want cheap and good go to sunny brook @ morehead its only 12 dollars for 18 holes
alfus21 Wrote:Pretty good website with Course Photos, and a message board.
http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/
Interesting site.
They have rated the top 18 public courses in Kentucky based on such things as course design, 18 well done holes, good drainage, course markers, etc...

1 Lassing Point
2 Old Silo
3 Lafayette
4 Hidden Cove (Grayson Lake SP)
5 Dale Hollow (SP)
6 Wasioto Winds (Pine Mountain SP)
7 Stonecrest
8 Houston Oaks
9 Kearney Hills
10 Fox Run
11 The Bull @ Boone Trace
12 Pininsula
13 Cherry Blossom
14 Eagle Ridge
15 Mineral Mound
16 The Willows
17 Eagle Trace
18 The Summit

Other courses that made the "19th hole" and may move up the list in the future are:
Griffin Gate
Nevel Meade
Maywood
Quail Chase Links
Players Club of Henderson
Gibson Bay
Boone Links
I would have to say Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake (Eastern Kentucky) is a real nice course. It is a bit overpriced but it has been ranked as one of the nicest in the nation by Golf Magazine. I have been out there several times and really have enjoyed myself.
Indiana IMO has the best golf courses
Stonecrest and Ravens Rock
Played Cherry Blossums in Georgetown the other day and I must say that it is a very nice course. My only complaints were it is located in a subdivision with homes all around the course and if you have to take an emergency bathroom break it can be tough to find a hidden area. And the 18th hole, a dogleg right par 4 that has a lake that runs up the right side is a good finishing hole with one exception : it has several sand traps in the middle of the fairway at various distances, and 3 of our group hit the ball right down the middle and found the traps. A shot down the middle of a fairway should be rewarded, not penalized.
sportsfanatic06 Wrote:I would have to say Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake (Eastern Kentucky) is a real nice course. It is a bit overpriced but it has been ranked as one of the nicest in the nation by Golf Magazine. I have been out there several times and really have enjoyed myself.
Yatesville is one of the state park system's signature series of new courses. It joins Dale Hollow, Pine Mountain, Grayson Lake, Land Between The Lakes, My Old Kentucky Home, among others as state park courses that offer lodging and multiple day package deals.
The weekday rates for a round of golf at all these courses is $37.50 and weekends are $42.50. Personally I feel these rates are a little too high, and all these courses would get more play, especially from the local folks, if they would lower their fees to about $30 weekdays. It's hard to believe that a course can make more money if they lower their rates, but they will.
I've played Grayson, Pine Mt, and Dale Hollow. They are all well kepted courses, challenging, and fun to play. They just need to come down in the rates a little.
I've played Hidden cove a couple of times. Great course, well kept and tough as nails. Lots of animals and the course is not real tight together so you don't feel like you are playing on top of others.

http://parks.ky.gov/golf/18hole/gl/index.htm
Well like so many golfers, I'm not much, but I enjoy it. Anyway I do like Stone Crest and Raven Rock. I hear that Old Silo is really supposed to be a challanging course. (like they all arent a challange for me)lol
I love The Old Silo
My son and his friend played a new course in Western Ky. that's only been open since Oct. It's name is "Olde Stone". They both said it's the second best course they've played in Ky. 2nd to Vallhala.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Yatesville is one of the state park system's signature series of new courses. It joins Dale Hollow, Pine Mountain, Grayson Lake, Land Between The Lakes, My Old Kentucky Home, among others as state park courses that offer lodging and multiple day package deals.
The weekday rates for a round of golf at all these courses is $37.50 and weekends are $42.50. Personally I feel these rates are a little too high, and all these courses would get more play, especially from the local folks, if they would lower their fees to about $30 weekdays. It's hard to believe that a course can make more money if they lower their rates, but they will.
I've played Grayson, Pine Mt, and Dale Hollow. They are all well kepted courses, challenging, and fun to play. They just need to come down in the rates a little.
There's going to be two more "Signature Series" State Park courses in the near future. Construction has been going on at Cumberland Falls State Park for a year now, according to some people from Whitley County that I talked to the other day, on a $10 million course. And a new course is in the plans at General Burnside State Park in Pulaski County.
When those two are finally completed, it will give Southeast and Southcentral golfers 3 modern state park golf courses within a 60 miles distance of one another : Pine Mountain (Wasioto Winds), Cumberland Falls, and General Burnside. :thumpsup:
a nice 9 hole golf course is beechfork in powell co meadows is also there but its a very cheap golf course
Ridge Runner Wrote:There is also one just north of Ashland near the Flying J, I think it is called Diamond Links?? It has been a couple years but for the price, $18 for 18 holes with cart, you can't beat it!

I think the price has changed. I just got back from there and 9 holes with cart was 14.30. Still not bad but the course was awful. We have had so much rain that any shot you hit will plug in the mud. No bounce at all.

As for local Ashland courses. Don't waste your money on the Oaks. We played a couple of weeks ago and the course was horrible. You need a 4 wheel drive golf cart to get around and the fairways are so hard the you get more roll than your shot. They have let it go to pot.

There is a wonderful course just outside of Portsmouth Oh called Shawnee. I have not played there in 10 years but from what I can remember it was very nice.

My vote goes to Hidden Cove at Grayson Lake State Park. Very well maintained course that offers great views and tough shots. Lots of sand though. Kind of makes you feel like you are at the beach.Smile