Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville '87 vs THE WORLD!!!
All of these teams on these 'fantasy' matchup threads are great in their own right. But, they all wouldve fell to one team. Pikeville '87. These guys beat Henry Clay by 2 TDs at Henry Clay. Beat Belfry at vipperman 35-0 Belfry was 3rd in the state in 3a. Not to shabby for a small 1a school.
I didnt see that team so I don't know, but I've heard there were pretty ridiculous, and I seriously doubt any team being listed in any other fantasy thread would even compete with the the 87 Pikeville team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I didnt see that team so I don't know, but I've heard there were pretty ridiculous, and I seriously doubt any team being listed in any other fantasy thread would even compete with the the 87 Pikeville team.
Is this the Pikeville team that had the Deramus brothers?
BurntTires Wrote:Is this the Pikeville team that had the Deramus brothers?

Yea, im pretty sure they did
wow they sound awsome
NYY10 Wrote:Yea, im pretty sure they did
If they were on this team, I remember watching them they were pretty good....really good.
You know, maybe the '87 Pikeville team would beat all of the other teams mentioned. And then again, maybe they wouldn't.

I do know a few facts about the Panthers '87 team and a few facts about some of the others, and I know these things for certain:

1. Athletes have gotten bigger, stronger, and faster nationwide since '87.
2. Pikeville '87 didn't have an athlete to match Jones or Howard.
3. Pikeville fans will never admit that.
4. You'd never convince anyone from PHS that the '87 team can be beaten.
5. Humility is absent from Pikeville High School dictionaries.
6. You can't finish 3rd in the KY format, so the BHS team PHS beat didn't.
7. Belfry has beaten Pikeville 5 times in a row.
8. But that doesn't compare to the consecutive times they have lost to NKY.
9. Pikeville is NKY's whipping boy.
10. They are also Belfry's whipping boy.
Mr. Right Wrote:You know, maybe the '87 Pikeville team would beat all of the other teams mentioned. And then again, maybe they wouldn't.

I do know a few facts about the Panthers '87 team and a few facts about some of the others, and I know these things for certain:

so in your #6.....you are saying that Belfry WASN'T ranked 3rd in the state class 3A? He didn't say that Belfry finished third.
Mr. Right Wrote:You know, maybe the '87 Pikeville team would beat all of the other teams mentioned. And then again, maybe they wouldn't.

What exactly do #7-10 even have to do with this thread? Go do some research on this team. They were reanked number 1 in the state in ALL classes I do believe.
I cant remember that team but I have heard great things about them so I will just say they were no doubt good. How does that sound lol? Kind of hard for me to compare teams I cant really member very well because I was only born December of 83.
From what I have heard this team had the best chance of any "A" school to beat the 2, 3,and 4 A state champion of that year. Meaning( in theory) the '87 Panther team was the best football team in the entire state in '87 not just the best "A" team. Very few "A" schools could beat the 4A champion in any year or even be given much of a chance but, the '87 Pikeville team is the one "A" team that gets that type of respect.
The Guru Wrote:so in your #6.....you are saying that Belfry WASN'T ranked 3rd in the state class 3A? He didn't say that Belfry finished third.

He didn't say they were ranked third either.

To make a long story short, it takes a lot of nerve, or ignorance, to make a thread title that reads "Pikeville '87 vs The World".

BTW.....I never saw that Pikeville team play in person, but I saw game film. And I'd be willing to bet the thread starter has never seen them play live or on film, but he/she is posting on the great tales passed down by Pikeville fans. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep it in persepctive. They were a great team, but not the "world beaters" Pikeville alumni make them out to be. Be happy that they won 3 consecutive 1A championships, that is quite an accomplishment. But do not automatically assume they are the best mountain team ever.

Bottom line......If the thread title read "Pikeville '87 vs any of the other teams mentioned" I wouldn't have took a jab at the thread starter. But the thread title was arrogant, conceited, and disrespectful, IMO, so I took my shots at Pikeville because I was given the opportunity.
*The "87 Pikeville team was a GREAT team no doubt, but to say the '03 and '04 Belfry teams could not play with them is a joke. Belfry would still have the best 2 players on the field in Jones and Howard. Belfry would eat the clock and keep their mistakes to a minimum. I don't care what team it is Jones and Howard are 2 backs that are hard to tackle and would be even harder for a team out of the 80's that have not seen the modern day athlete. Belfry would be in the game at the end. Would they win or not I'm not sure, but I am sure they would be more than capable of winning.
*Breathitt had some teams that would give problems to the '87 team. They often had athletes coming out of the WAZZU. The spread it out offense of Holcomb would cause problems to the Pikeville team that seldom saw plays like that. I know they experienced the gun and so on, but not to the extent that Breathitt displayed.
*The '99 Lawrence Co. team would be more than able to hold their own against the Panthers. That team was so talented offensivley that I doubt Pikeville being able to slow them down. On the other hand I don't really see LC slowing down Pikeville, but I'm not sure you want to get in a shoot out with that LC team.
*The '01 Prestonsburg Blackcats could play with the Panthers because of their shere athleticsm. They had athletes that Pikeville would not be able to match and speed to boot. I think coaching would give Pikeville the upper hand, but P'burg would be capable of pulling out the win any time they both took the field.

The '87 Pikeville team was AWSOME. No doubt about it, but to say they would have beaten all these teams is impossible to say. The teams listed above were capable of beating anyone they stepped on the field with and the '87 Pikeville team was no diffrent. Yes they did beat Henrey Clay and Belfry handley, but these are some of the best teams that have ever come out of the mountains. To say they could have beaten them without any regard that they would have had a chance at losing is a grave un-justice to these other great teams. If any of these teams played 10 times I would be surprised if any team held more than a 6 win advantage.
Mr. Right Wrote:He didn't say they were ranked third either.

To make a long story short, it takes a lot of nerve, or ignorance, to make a thread title that reads "Pikeville '87 vs The World".

BTW.....I never saw that Pikeville team play in person, but I saw game film. And I'd be willing to bet the thread starter has never seen them play live or on film, but he/she is posting on the great tales passed down by Pikeville fans. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep it in persepctive. They were a great team, but not the "world beaters" Pikeville alumni make them out to be. Be happy that they won 3 consecutive 1A championships, that is quite an accomplishment. But do not automatically assume they are the best mountain team ever.

Bottom line......If the thread title read "Pikeville '87 vs any of the other teams mentioned" I wouldn't have took a jab at the thread starter. But the thread title was arrogant, conceited, and disrespectful, IMO, so I took my shots at Pikeville because I was given the opportunity.
Mr Right,
Just because one person starts a meaningless, conceited, unprovable thread, doesn't mean we all must stoop to that level.
With you being "Mr Right", I thought you would rise above the fray.
I have watched Jones and Howard, and they are great backs! Deramus and Hackney both were better and tougher. Both ran 4.5's and benched over 350. Trust me I watched them do it. They also had a fullback by the name of Chad Thornsbury that ran a 4.7 and benched over 300. The whole offensive line also all benched over 300, with one, who is the Honaker twins Dad, benching 425. I believe Belfry 03-04 were great teams but this team was top in the state that year, even in Cantrells ratings.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:*The "87 Pikeville team was a GREAT team no doubt, but to say the '03 and '04 Belfry teams could not play with them is a joke. Belfry would still have the best 2 players on the field in Jones and Howard. Belfry would eat the clock and keep their mistakes to a minimum. I don't care what team it is Jones and Howard are 2 backs that are hard to tackle and would be even harder for a team out of the 80's that have not seen the modern day athlete. Belfry would be in the game at the end. Would they win or not I'm not sure, but I am sure they would be more than capable of winning.
*Breathitt had some teams that would give problems to the '87 team. They often had athletes coming out of the WAZZU. The spread it out offense of Holcomb would cause problems to the Pikeville team that seldom saw plays like that. I know they experienced the gun and so on, but not to the extent that Breathitt displayed.
*The '99 Lawrence Co. team would be more than able to hold their own against the Panthers. That team was so talented offensivley that I doubt Pikeville being able to slow them down. On the other hand I don't really see LC slowing down Pikeville, but I'm not sure you want to get in a shoot out with that LC team.
*The '01 Prestonsburg Blackcats could play with the Panthers because of their shere athleticsm. They had athletes that Pikeville would not be able to match and speed to boot. I think coaching would give Pikeville the upper hand, but P'burg would be capable of pulling out the win any time they both took the field.

The '87 Pikeville team was AWSOME. No doubt about it, but to say they would have beaten all these teams is impossible to say. The teams listed above were capable of beating anyone they stepped on the field with and the '87 Pikeville team was no diffrent. Yes they did beat Henrey Clay and Belfry handley, but these are some of the best teams that have ever come out of the mountains. To say they could have beaten them without any regard that they would have had a chance at losing is a grave un-justice to these other great teams. If any of these teams played 10 times I would be surprised if any team held more than a 6 win advantage.

None of these great teams were ever ranked #1 in all classes above Trinity, St. X, and everyone.
world 14 pikeville 0
Battle Tested Wrote:world 14 pikeville 0
:thatsfunn :thatsfunn If you can take the whole world and the PHS team only allow 14 points...I'll take it :thumpsup: I agree the -- v. THE WORLD -- part was a little strong
fox sports Wrote:Mr Right,
Just because one person starts a meaningless, conceited, unprovable thread, doesn't mean we all must stoop to that level.
With you being "Mr Right", I thought you would rise above the fray.

Hazzbeen Wrote:I have watched Jones and Howard, and they are great backs! Deramus and Hackney both were better and tougher. Both ran 4.5's and benched over 350. Trust me I watched them do it. They also had a fullback by the name of Chad Thornsbury that ran a 4.7 and benched over 300. The whole offensive line also all benched over 300, with one, who is the Honaker twins Dad, benching 425. I believe Belfry 03-04 were great teams but this team was top in the state that year, even in Cantrells ratings.

You're right, fox sports. But then another Pikeville supporter goes and says something ignorant (Bold Print).Rolleyes

Also, being Mr. Right, I have a duty to point out all the Mr. Wrongs (main reason I chose the moniker).Confusedhh:
HazzBeen Wrote:None of these great teams were ever ranked #1 in all classes above Trinity, St. X, and everyone.

And I have seen no record of Pikeville being ranked above the Trinty teams of 2000 either. Or the Highlands teams of the 90's. They were ranked #1 in 1987. Maybe that was just a weak year for the state. You can not prove that any of the teams I listed are not capable of beating the 87 Pikeville team. They all had better athletes and aside from P'burg equal coaching.
For all this talk I have not yet seen one link to them being the top ranked team in the state in 1987. I know in 1988 Trinity was ranked in the top 25 in the country but I have yet to see where Pikeville was. I know it might be hard to swallow and that this might upset you, but maybe, just MAYBE Pikeville of 1987 was not the greatest team ever. I know many teams from other parts of the state that would have beaten them, and to say some of the best mountain teams couldn't is just stupid.

Here is the link to the All Time top 25. Any team that made it is listed. No Pikeville from KY.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/foo...i-mich.htm
Like you said Mr. Right you never saw them play so you can't comment. I saw both groups of backs play. I know David and Doug and they were unbelievable. I would say the best two backs since Deramus and Hackney, but no, they were not as good. The "whipping boy" comment was crazy. I think in different Era's Belfry has been Pikeville's "whipping boy". I think it is a great rivalry and both sides have had their times. Right now is Belfry's, but I don't think your comments give any credit to Pikeville.
I didn't say that no one could beat them. I simply stated that none of them had ever been ranked #1 in the state (not final rankings). I don't know who would win to be honest with you, but I would go with the higher ranked team.
HazzBeen Wrote:I didn't say that no one could beat them. I simply stated that none of them had ever been ranked #1 in the state (not final rankings). I don't know who would win to be honest with you, but I would go with the higher ranked team.

You can't compare rankings between years. Is the #2 ranked Louisville Male team of 02 not as good as the #1 ranked Trinity of 05? That logic is crazy
HazzBeen Wrote:Like you said Mr. Right you never saw them play so you can't comment. I saw both groups of backs play. I know David and Doug and they were unbelievable. I would say the best two backs since Deramus and Hackney, but no, they were not as good. The "whipping boy" comment was crazy. I think in different Era's Belfry has been Pikeville's "whipping boy". I think it is a great rivalry and both sides have had their times. Right now is Belfry's, but I don't think your comments give any credit to Pikeville.

I said I never saw them play "live", I have seen numerous tapes of the '87 team.

IMO, Doug Howard was better than both as a RB, and David Jones was equal to or better. Both Howard & Jones were better all-around, and you don't get any "tougher". Wasn't that the word you used?

BTW....All-time series approximately 26-19 in favor of Belfry, and only Belfry has beaten its counterpart 4 times in a row or more. 5 and soon to be 6 times.Confusedhh:
[QUOTE=Matney's Prodigey]And I have seen no record of Pikeville being ranked above the Trinty teams of 2000 either. Or the Highlands teams of the 90's. They were ranked #1 in 1987. Maybe that was just a weak year for the state. You can not prove that any of the teams I listed are not capable of beating the 87 Pikeville team. They all had better athletes and aside from P'burg equal coaching.
For all this talk I have not yet seen one link to them being the top ranked team in the state in 1987. I know in 1988 Trinity was ranked in the top 25 in the country but I have yet to see where Pikeville was. I know it might be hard to swallow and that this might upset you, but maybe, just MAYBE Pikeville of 1987 was not the greatest team ever. I know many teams from other parts of the state that would have beaten them, and to say some of the best mountain teams couldn't is just stupid.

Here is the link to the All Time top 25. Any team that made it is listed. No Pikeville from KY.

Well at least put up teams that have won the state championship. Lawrence County didn't even win it in 99'.
HazzBeen Wrote:[QUOTE=Matney's Prodigey]And I have seen no record of Pikeville being ranked above the Trinty teams of 2000 either. Or the Highlands teams of the 90's. They were ranked #1 in 1987. Maybe that was just a weak year for the state. You can not prove that any of the teams I listed are not capable of beating the 87 Pikeville team. They all had better athletes and aside from P'burg equal coaching.

Well at least put up teams that have won the state championship. Lawrence County didn't even win it in 99'.

So now LC couldn't even carry '87 Pikeville's jock-strap, right????
HazzBeen Wrote:Well at least put up teams that have won the state championship. Lawrence County didn't even win it in 99'.

So now only teams that won a state championship could beat them? Please you are making yourself sound awful. Please for your sake quit now. This is geting crazy.
What does winning a state title have anything to do with the fact that that team could play with and possibly beat the 1987 Pikeville Panthers? Wow your ignorance amazes me.
Guys I am not going to argue this anymore. I am a little bias i guess, just like you all are for your teams. My point is simple, no team from our area has been #1 in all classes at some point in the season, except for Pikeville 1987. Who knows who would have won vs. Belfry, Breathitt, or even Lawrence. But I have never heard of a team as strong or as fast as this one. But that is just me.
Battle Tested Wrote:world 14 pikeville 0
:lmao: thats a good one....
So did you guys even play football? You talk about my ignorance. How much do you know and what makes you so much more smarter than everyone else on here? Give me the qualifications for being a football genious.