Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry '03 vs Breathitt Co. '02
Very interesting matchup as well!
This is Belfry team is practically the same one that went wire-to-wire against the '02 state champs until a few desperation passes by the Pirates were returned for TDs. Final score was 21-0, but it was only 7-0 with 1:30 left in the game.

The difference is that these Pirates are a year older now, and David Jones replaced Jonah Caudill in the backfield giving the Pirates a more reliable runner.

I give the edge to the Pirates in this due to one reason. Paul Howard would have been able to keep the Breathitt Co. D honest by throwing to Clifton Hatfield, David Jones, Zane Smith, & Doug Howard when needed. At all other times the Pirates would run the ball efficiently.
Belfry '03
Belfry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mr. Right Wrote:This is Belfry team is practically the same one that went wire-to-wire against the '02 state champs until a few desperation passes by the Pirates were returned for TDs. Final score was 21-0, but it was only 7-0 with 1:30 left in the game.

The difference is that these Pirates are a year older now, and David Jones replaced Jonah Caudill in the backfield giving the Pirates a more reliable runner.

I give the edge to the Pirates in this due to one reason. Paul Howard would have been able to keep the Breathitt Co. D honest by throwing to Clifton Hatfield, David Jones, Zane Smith, & Doug Howard when needed. At all other times the Pirates would run the ball efficiently.

I guess you forget that the reason it was 7-0 with 1:30 left was because the game was played in a mud pit. Play on a neutral field anywhere else in the state and Breathitt wins the same game by 30+.
MCDADDY Wrote:I guess you forget that the reason it was 7-0 with 1:30 left was because the game was played in a mud pit. Play on a neutral field anywhere else in the state and Breathitt wins the same game by 30+.

Yeah, I forgot it was only muddy when Breathitt Co. had the ball.Rolleyes
Same as the 03 Belfry vs 02 Breathitt, just a little closer score on this one due to the fact Maynard did not play and his athleticism would had been a plus on the deffensive side of the ball. Doug and David are still the best 2 players on the field and Belfry would come away winners on a dry, wet, muddy, or turf field. Breathitt was soft against the run (as shown against Russell) and that team from Pond Creek had possibly the best 2 backs in school history on the same team. They could run the football and Breathitt could not stop the run. Gonna go With Belfry again.
Final Score:

Belfry: 28
Breathitt: 21
Mr. Right Wrote:Yeah, I forgot it was only muddy when Breathitt Co. had the ball.Rolleyes

Breathitt County had much more athleticism from top to bottom than Belfry. And yes, the mud pit played to Belfry's favor and everyone knows that. If it hadn't I am sure they would not have practiced on it all week. I agree with someone saying Jones was the best player on the field, but Haddix is a close second and I would much rather have him than Howard. So I will stick with Breathitt 02 over Belfry 03 by 30+ on a normal field.
MCDADDY Wrote:Breathitt County had much more athleticism from top to bottom than Belfry. And yes, the mud pit played to Belfry's favor and everyone knows that. If it hadn't I am sure they would not have practiced on it all week. I agree with someone saying Jones was the best player on the field, but Haddix is a close second and I would much rather have him than Howard. So I will stick with Breathitt 02 over Belfry 03 by 30+ on a normal field.

By 30+. :yikes: Wow just how much high school football have you watched? I watched Breathitt play 4 times that year and I saw Belfry 3 times and let me say this there hasnt been a team in AA the past ten years that could have beat that Belfry team by 30 points. Ill take Howard with one more of experience to spy on Haddix and give me Jones in the backfield/secondary and Ill see your 30+ points and call you on any bet you see fit. Utterly crazy to make a statement like you made. Im neither a Breathitt or Belfry fan but with Jones in the secondary Breathitts passing attack would be slightly harmed and Breathitt would have no answer for the backfield that Belfry would throw at them. Athleticism in this matchup is probably a draw from top to bottom but what many dont realize is the size Belfry had up front. Ive watched colleges who didnt have the girth up front that Belfry had. Advantage Belfry. Score Belfry 34 Breathitt 21
MCDADDY Wrote:Breathitt County had much more athleticism from top to bottom than Belfry. And yes, the mud pit played to Belfry's favor and everyone knows that. If it hadn't I am sure they would not have practiced on it all week. I agree with someone saying Jones was the best player on the field, but Haddix is a close second and I would much rather have him than Howard. So I will stick with Breathitt 02 over Belfry 03 by 30+ on a normal field.

I'd take Howard over both of them individually, and I agree with whoever it was that said both Howard & Jones were better players than Haddix.

BTW......You'll find no one who agrees that Breathitt Co. would have beaten them by 30+.......Thats just flatout ridiculous.
MCDADDY is right. This would be a high scoring game, but BC comes out in the end. Haddux would probably have over 400 yards passing.
blackcat Wrote:MCDADDY is right. This would be a high scoring game, but BC comes out in the end. Haddux would probably have over 400 yards passing.

Now I'm convinced.Rolleyes
blackcat Wrote:MCDADDY is right. This would be a high scoring game, but BC comes out in the end. Haddux would probably have over 400 yards passing.

I will have to disagree with that, If you remember in the 2003 State Title game,Owensboro Catholics QB Zach Barnard threw over 300 yards and they still could'nt beat us. Doug Howard was unstoppable....Haddux would have gotten his yards passing, but then again so did Barnard..and you still see the same result.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BelfryPride Wrote:I will have to disagree with that, If you remember in the 2003 State Title game,Owensboro Catholics QB Zach Barnard threw over 300 yards and they still could'nt beat us. Doug Howard was unstoppable....Haddux would have gotten his yards passing, but then again so did Barnard..and you still see the same result.

That's true, I didn't think about O'cath. Would be a good game.
Belfry would take this game.