Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Kentucky coach Gillispie hospitalized amid apparent player revolt
The University of Kentucky really dodged a bullet when it canned Billy Gillispie. Everybody who approved hiring Gillispie should have been kicked off campus with the same boot that got him. Hopefully, he will never be given another chance to screw up young men's lives as a drunken coach.

Quote:Ex-Kentucky coach Gillispie hospitalized amid apparent player revolt

LUBBOCK, Texas — Texas Tech men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie was hospitalized for an undisclosed medical issue Friday, the same day the university announced it was scrutinizing his leadership of the struggling program.

Athletic department spokesman Blayne Beal said Gillispie, 52, was admitted to University Medical Center early Friday but declined to provide further details.

Hospital spokesman Eric Finley said Gillispie was in satisfactory condition and likely to be held overnight. Finley said he had no other details on why the former University of Kentucky coach was admitted.

Beal said the university is looking into matters stemming from the coach's dealings with his players.

"We are looking into some concerns within the leadership of our men's basketball program," Beal said, reading from a prepared statement. "Student-athlete well-being is something that is our top priority. We take that very seriously at Texas Tech. We are devoting our full resources into looking into this matter."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/08/31/23188...rylink=cpy
wow,what a surprise! He without a doubt has a drinking problem and anger issues and do not understand why any college would take a chance on him.
sstack Wrote:wow,what a surprise! He without a doubt has a drinking problem and anger issues and do not understand why any college would take a chance on him.

I guess that is not an issue they have been overly concerned with. If you remember they hired Bobby Knight too.
I never hated any coach, from any program, more than him. With his limited vocabulary, I seriously don't know how he has continued to land such high profile coaching positions. Do these universities not even interview him? You know if they did, he would answer every question with, "gotta get tougher."
He will either..
A) Retire after all of this.
B) Try searching for a low-end D1 contract.
C) Go down to D2 or even D3.

Sad part is, I remember when we got the news of his hire years ago.. And some people around here was jumping for joy lol..
I was thinking to myself, who is this guy and why did UK hire him?
Heard over and over of how well he recruited, never seen any of that.
Bob Seger Wrote:I guess that is not an issue they have been overly concerned with. If you remember they hired Bobby Knight too.

Bob Knight was most definitely a sadistic SOB who really should have been fired many times for Abuse. Then ESPN lets him call out other schools on the air.
Gillespie still in Hospital

Texas Tech spokesperson Blayne Beal said Tuesday that there had been no change in head coach Billy Gillispie's status at the University Medical Center where he has been since being admitted Friday morning.

Gillispie's hospitalization came three days after returning players on his team met with Red Raiders athletic director Kirby Hocutt to complain about the way in which they were being treated and coached by the second-year head coach.

Beal said Gillispie's health is the number one priority and no decision on Gillispie's job status would be made at this time. Beal said that once Gillispie's health is under control then it will be a more appropriate time to discuss Gillispie and the state of the program.

Multiple Texas Tech players initially were called to meet individually with members of the compliance department about the number of hours they were being asked to practice. After the meeting with compliance officials, players met with Hocutt as a group.

Beal, who is in charge of communications, confirmed the meeting took place with Hocutt and the returning players.

CBSSports.com reported on Tuesday that further strife in the program has been caused by Gillispie failing to fulfill promises to his coaching staff while also keeping scholarship players from opportunities and money.

The site reported that several coaches had been promised greater roles by Gillispie than they ultimately received. CBSSports.com, citing sources, further painted a picture of tyrannical practices where injured players were sometimes reduced to tears.

Texas Tech has experienced a high amount of attrition since the end of Gillispie's first season, as six players from the 2011-12 roster have transferred: Cameron Forte, DeShon Minnis, Jaron Nash, Terran Petteway, Kevin Wagner and Javarez Willis.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...d-pressure
This piece of shit needs to be in jail. Where is some of these kids' fathers? I know at least a few of them had to tell their parents what was going on. If a coach like this done anything close to this to my son, he would be hurt, badly...I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had done nothing. Never know though, maybe all 30+ of these people thy experienced his crap were quiet about it, but i highly doubt it.

I just don't understand people these days...whatever happened to a good ole' ass-kicking?! A fine or a night in jail is a very low price to pay for doing the right thing, I think. Makes me sick to even think about people taking this guy's shit for all these years...
he is a bad coach glad he is not at uk in fact there were several uk players that commented about how bad he was. its lucky uk isn't in trouble over him.