Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Co. 62 - South Laurel 13
Norm Peterson Wrote:Since you like to compare scores how can you say Somerset couldn't have beaten Franklin Simpson and ACS? Didn't Somerset beat the Mighty Lakers by 43 in 2010 while those two teams beat Russell County by 36 points COMBINED in 3 games. It's a shame that Russell County chose not to continue the series after that 2010 game...It could have been settled on the field.

I don't know the details as to why the series was stopped or who stopped it. I do know that with reallignment, that it was more important to play common opponents of our district competitors. I also don't know why you've decided to start the negativity towards our team...it's a bit more shallow than I would expect from you normally....quite frankly your sounding like some of those more extreme HHS fans.....perhaps you lost your purse or something.
Ask your coach. He can tell you why the series ended. More important to play common opponents of your district teams? Really? So if your district opponents all played all wishbone teams even though they ran the spread you'd want to play all the non-conference games against the wishbone? So did your district competitors play Campbellsville, Whitley County, Pulaski County, Rockcastle County, South Laurel, North Laurel and Adair County? I'll answer that for you. Your district competitors played NONE of those teams. Simply put Coach Sharpe did not want to play. All I have done is pointed out the truth, both about your playoff record and your schedule choice. Russell County did not want to play Somerset the last 2 years.
^
Last time i checked, Whitley just played Rock, which is a district competitor of Russell.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Last time i checked, Whitley just played Rock, which is a district competitor of Russell.

I'm sorry I forgot about them being in the same district. Wanting to schedule common opponents of your district teams and then playing Campbellsville and Adair County says all I need to hear about why the series was ended. What did that schedule get them? A 9-1 regular season followed by a first round exit.
Norm Peterson Wrote:I'm sorry I forgot about them being in the same district. Wanting to schedule common opponents of your district teams and then playing Campbellsville and Adair County says all I need to hear about why the series was ended. What did that schedule get them? A 9-1 regular season followed by a first round exit.

Whitley, Pulaski, and S. Laurel have been / are all played by other teams in our district. Campbellsville was this years rotation in a bowl game that we entered into last season.....last year the opponent was Marion Co. Adair Co is, and probably always will be our season ending game because it's a good draw and as close to a cross-town rivalry as we have. Of course unlike the Jumpers, we've never had to be convince to leave the friendly confines of home to play a rival.

Again, I'm not sure what got you on the rant about our team. If my response as to who the most recent of our playoff losses were to came across wrong, then I apologize. However, you won't ever find me stooping to the childish level of spewing negativity about any team in one of their threads. If you would like to continue this garbage then I respectfully ask that we continue by pm.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Ask your coach. He can tell you why the series ended. More important to play common opponents of your district teams? Really? So if your district opponents all played all wishbone teams even though they ran the spread you'd want to play all the non-conference games against the wishbone? So did your district competitors play Campbellsville, Whitley County, Pulaski County, Rockcastle County, South Laurel, North Laurel and Adair County? I'll answer that for you. Your district competitors played NONE of those teams. Simply put Coach Sharpe did not want to play. All I have done is pointed out the truth, both about your playoff record and your schedule choice. Russell County did not want to play Somerset the last 2 years.

To be so worried about Russell County's schedule is amazing when Pulaski County natives have begged for intracounty games for years. Worry bout your own teams fear of their intracounty rivalries and less about our scheduled games.
Russell Co didn't have Somerset on the schedule the last two years because they didn't agree to play both games in Somerset.

Until RC does something in the playoffs they are going to face this criticism. This team can do it but they can't let a weaker opponent (Mercer Co) beat them early again.
The banter on this thread made it worth reading. KC will have a real challenge with Russell this year just based on seeing how both handled South. Britt is one of the best running backs in the state. Canady is one of the best several things in the state. I only wish we could replay last years's game as in all my 30 years of sports no game has ever left a worse taste. But God don't provide a rewind button.

Bottom line is 2012 could be a big year for RC. Britt is the real deal and we look very forward to hosting him in the most hostile manner we can serve up. But for the next few weeks we have to sharpen our teeth on some TN meat...
Football1 Wrote:The banter on this thread made it worth reading. KC will have a real challenge with Russell this year just based on seeing how both handled South. Britt is one of the best running backs in the state. Canady is one of the best several things in the state. I only wish we could replay last years's game as in all my 30 years of sports no game has ever left a worse taste. But God don't provide a rewind button.

Bottom line is 2012 could be a big year for RC. Britt is the real deal and we look very forward to hosting him in the most hostile manner we can serve up. But for the next few weeks we have to sharpen our teeth on some TN meat...

Its a ways off before Russell Co and Knox meet and injuries can play huge rolls in the outcome, but after seeing both teams I would say that Russell Co. is at least two touchdowns better than Knox.
zebra'seyes Wrote:Russell Co didn't have Somerset on the schedule the last two years because they didn't agree to play both games in Somerset.

Until RC does something in the playoffs they are going to face this criticism. This team can do it but they can't let a weaker opponent (Mercer Co) beat them early again.
Big Z I love ya man but it's hard to believe that Somerset only wanted to play RC at Somerset...they have always played home and home in the past.
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:you must have had a bad meal or two here in our fine county.
Not me, but I only eat at Coe's...love me some Coe's Catfish!!! The Best I have ever eaten.
Just a little jab about the RCB there JD
In answer to the question about Russell County football historically let me say that in a different era, they had some good squads.

In '79 they won their District by beating Boyle in a Mud bog (9-1 and only loss for the Rebels. Still hurts.) and Somerset. Lost by one point to Corbin in the Regional Final. (Playoffs then were only 3 games)

In '80 they did it again by nipping the Rebels 13-12 and winning the District. Lost to State Champ Corbin in the Regional Final.

In '83 they went unbeaten in the regular season beating a Danville team that lost in their AAA regional Final to State Champ Conner. The Lakers then lost to the Jumpers in a District playoff (old sub-district system).

I think the Lakers won the sub-district in '86 as well.

Ron Finley was a great coach at Russell County and accomplished all of that. He went on to do a great job at Campbellsville University as Head Coach.

Of the Lakers of that era the two that stand out to me were Greg Poppewell at FB who played at Western and I think the name was maybe Coe. A good leader/QB for them. Had solid players that were coached well.