Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt Co. vs Newport (Honey Bowl)
Breathitt 60 newport 12
The Bobcats should roar past Newport, maybe worse than last year.
Newport just got blown out by a very bad Bellevue team. They are BAD.

Breathitt will have a running clock before halftime.
Breathitt Co-58
Newport-6
Breathitt 68 Newport 8
lol...

You guys know the Honey Bowl just isn't the same without hosting Prestonsburg. Wink
Got that right!
oneijoe Wrote:lol...

You guys know the Honey Bowl just isn't the same without hosting Prestonsburg. Wink

Would be nice to have a real game for the Honey Bowl.
Bobcats win huge in this one. 62-6
Hope playing these weak teams don't hurt this team at play-off time. Breathitt by as many as they want.
Cellking Wrote:Hope playing these weak teams don't hurt this team at play-off time. Breathitt by as many as they want.

It's a tangible thought.

Last year numerous Breathitt posters commented how it appeared Breathitt "fell apart" against Belfry after a couple bounces didn't go their way. I can't help but feel part of that could be attributed to the fact Belfry was a little more battle tested against quality competition, specifically in close games.Belfry was the first team all year to take away Breathitt's running game, and it seemed to take a while for Breathitt to adjust as such.

as it stands now, Breathitt has two games against quality competition in Somerset and Hazard (games where they still will be the favorite and are "playing down")

Meanwhile, look at the other 4 3A Title contenders:

Central:
vs. 6A DuPont Manual
vs. 4A (IN) Evansville Reitz
vs. 2A DeSales
vs. 6A Ballard
vs. 6A St. X
vs. 6A PRP

Belfry:
vs. 6A Henry Clay
vs. 2A Pburg
vs. 4A Ashland
vs. 4A Johnson Central

Bell:
vs. 4A LexCath
vs. 6A Bryan Station
vs. 3A Corbin
vs. 3A Wayne County
vs. 5A Harlan County

Tilghman:
vs. 4A Lone Oak
vs. 1A Mayfield
vs. 3A Ft. Campbell
vs. 4A (TN) Clarksville NE
vs. 6A Graves County
breatritt co. 58 newport 00 64sur
Last year Breathitt scored 41 points in the first quarter against Newport.
My prediction:
Breathitt County 67
Newport 12
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Breathitt county 56

Newport 7
Breathitt in a huge win, 56-7.
Right now we are minus about 7 BIGTIME starters.We don't need to be playing a quality team right now.You can go 5 and 10 and still win State.(Depending on the number of teams in your didtrict)
This game will not be close
76 to 13
Wildcats with the 7 point upset
Breathitt Co
Stardust Wrote:Wildcats with the 7 point upset

By 7pt. upset do you mean that they'll score 7 pts on Breathitt's first team?

I really like Coach Rice. I like what he stands for as a person and a coach. He's a great dude. He's just in an uphill battle at Newport. This will be very, very ugly.
Breathitt by as much as they want.
30 going on 40 Wrote:By 7pt. upset do you mean that they'll score 7 pts on Breathitt's first team?

I really like Coach Rice. I like what he stands for as a person and a coach. He's a great dude. He's just in an uphill battle at Newport. This will be very, very ugly.

Tough situation, for sure. There just isn't much left after Highlands, CovCath, NewCath, and Beechwood divide up what they want of the talent in the local areas.
oneijoe Wrote:Tough situation, for sure. There just isn't much left after Highlands, CovCath, NewCath, and Beechwood divide up what they want of the talent in the local areas.

Does anyone understand what is actually happneing in NKY, or is everyone just believing conspiracy theories?

The issue w/Newport is community. In the 80's through the early 90's Newport was a very, very tough game for anyone to win. Somewhere after Partin and Smith left after '99, the pride in the program left with them. There's no support anymore. As a coach, Rice never knows who will be showing up day after day. You can't succeed like that. Until the Newport community (athletes, students, and parents) start buying in and caring about being better, then Newport is going to be what it is...Standing on the edge of a cliff about to fall.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Does anyone understand what is actually happneing in NKY, or is everyone just believing conspiracy theories?

The issue w/Newport is community. In the 80's through the early 90's Newport was a very, very tough game for anyone to win. Somewhere after Partin and Smith left after '99, the pride in the program left with them. There's no support anymore. As a coach, Rice never knows who will be showing up day after day. You can't succeed like that. Until the Newport community (athletes, students, and parents) start buying in and caring about being better, then Newport is going to be what it is...Standing on the edge of a cliff about to fall.

Never meant to imply there is a "conspiracy". lol...

It's simply numbers... there are only so many better-talented players. That group of players will gravitate to the current better programs (the reason you gave is one of the reasons why Newport isn't in the group of more-desired programs).

Holy Cross is on the cusp of joining the NKY elite program group, also.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:Right now we are minus about 7 BIGTIME starters.We don't need to be playing a quality team right now.You can go 5 and 10 and still win State.(Depending on the number of teams in your didtrict)

Who's out?
oneijoe Wrote:Never meant to imply there is a "conspiracy". lol...

It's simply numbers... there are only so many better-talented players. That group of players will gravitate to the current better programs (the reason you gave is one of the reasons why Newport isn't in the group of more-desired programs).

Holy Cross is on the cusp of joining the NKY elite program group, also.

I hear what you are saying, people are too quick to throw the "recruiting" tag around without actually knowing what it means.

Since moving to Georgia it is a real eye opener. Parents will literally transplant their entire life to take their kids to a better school district or a school that gives them more advantages athletically. The amount of transfers on any given year, particularly at the 8th to 9th Grade level is staggering.

Even though it is not football, a fine example is Norcross High School. Norcross is a national basketball super-power. It is a public County school. Norcross has produced numerous D-1 players as well as NBA players and usually send 3-4 players to major D-1 schools every year.

My GF teaches at one of the two middle schools that feed into Norcross. Typically, their basketball teams are among the very worst in all of Gwinnett County and completely non-competitive. What happens is every year parents of Freshman to be move specifically to the Norcross district. Typically, if you loo at the roster for Norcross HS you may be able to find 1, and at most, 2 players who actually attended a Norcross feeder school.

In metro areas, this is becoming more and more common when you have such a large number of school options in such a short distance from each other. Say a kid from Newport transfers to Highlands prior to his Freshman season along with two of his friends who live in the same community, and they played ball together all their life. The knee jerk reaction is to accuse them of being "recruited" when the simple fact of the matter is that Highlands did nothing to bring them on board except be a winning program with a ton of exposure.

As the poster above said, "Newport is going to be what it is...Standing on the edge of a cliff about to fall. " If I am a parent who's zip code "requires" me to send my kid to Newport, I am finding a way to send them elsewhere to a much more stable school and athletics department.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I hear what you are saying, people are too quick to throw the "recruiting" tag around without actually knowing what it means.

Since moving to Georgia it is a real eye opener. Parents will literally transplant their entire life to take their kids to a better school district or a school that gives them more advantages athletically. The amount of transfers on any given year, particularly at the 8th to 9th Grade level is staggering.

Even though it is not football, a fine example is Norcross High School. Norcross is a national basketball super-power. It is a public County school. Norcross has produced numerous D-1 players as well as NBA players and usually send 3-4 players to major D-1 schools every year. My GF teaches at one of the two middle schools that feed into Norcross. Typically, their basketball teams are among the very worst in all of Gwinnett County and completely non-competitive. What happens is every year parents of Freshman to be move specifically to the Norcross district. Typically, if you loo at the roster for Norcross HS you may be able to find 1, and at most, 2 players who actually attended a Norcross feeder school.

In metro areas, this is becoming more and more common when you have such a large number of school options in such a short distance from each other. Say a kid from Newport transfers to Highlands prior to his Freshman season along with two of his friends who live in the same community, and they played ball together all their life. The knee jerk reaction is to accuse them of being "recruited" when the simple fact of the matter is that Highlands did nothing to bring them on board except be a winning program with a ton of exposure.

As the poster above said, "Newport is going to be what it is...Standing on the edge of a cliff about to fall. " If I am a parent who's zip code "requires" me to send my kid to Newport, I am finding a way to send them elsewhere to a much more stable school and athletics department.

For those that don't know, Jodie Meeks was from Norcross.

Newport is a hole. It has refurbished its image, but many of those with the money on the east end send their kids elsewhere, if they have kids at all. Too many parents at Newport are absentee. You have a very strong minority of parents that are forced to do too much to support the school. It's just a bad situation from the outside looking in.
Breathitt co Big. i dont think i even need to post a score of how bad. just know it will be BAD.