Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Top 10
I wish Bell Co would schedule more Mtn games. Like against Hazard, Belfry, or Breathitt Co. Take away Cath and iHigh.com Bowl, and Whitley Co. The Middlesboro game is a Rival game and a money maker.
On a given night anyone can beat anyone . But williamsburg has a weak schedule . They will not play any teams that they think will beat them.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I wish Bell Co would schedule more Mtn games. Like against Hazard, Belfry, or Breathitt Co. Take away Cath and iHigh.com Bowl, and Whitley Co. The Middlesboro game is a Rival game and a money maker.

I'd bet money that Bell has tried to schedule some of those teams.
Ok to say that they do not deserve to be as high as #6 is one thing but to say they do not play anyone is an uneducated statement. WYMT highlighted that they only have 2 key games being both Leslie County (defending District Champion who say time in Mountain Top 10 last season) and Harlan Ind. (a solid football team who contend with Hazard in their region). The guys at WYMT are very informed in this region because it is their job to be. However, they do not know TN state football. Both Onieda TN and Oliver Springs TN where among the top 8 schools in division 2A football in their state. They both had to play each other in the state quarterfinal where Oliver Springs won to go on to play the 2A State Champion Friendship Christian in the 2A state semifinal. So Oliver Springs could be compared to Somerset in our coverage area who made it to the 2A state KY semifinal game. Onieda could be compared to Lexington Christian who had as much success in the KY state playoff.

This is entirely based on variables and theory but if you take into consideration that the state of TN had 10 4-star or 5-star players according to Rivals last season compared to 1 4-star or 5-star player that KY produced you could make the argument that football in the state of TN is at a higher level. That would mean both Onieda and Oliver Springs could actually be better than both Somerset and Lexington Christian. I saw both those games last season they played Williamsburg and both those teams where as good if not better than Hazard. I know I will be chastised for this paragraph but it carries some weight.

Williamsburg also can not help the district that they play in. Lynn Camp, Berea, and Campbellsville are musts on the schedule. That leaves Jellico, Pineville, and Allen Central. They could could add a tougher game in one or two of these slots I agree. But remember 80% of the team was Fr. and So. when the schedule was made. We will see next season if they beef it up a little.
This has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Let me say this, there are NO DOMINANT TEAMS in the mountains in any classes. Hazard could beat Bell, Perry could beat Hazard (sorry ekff), Belfry can beat Whitley, Prestonsburg can beat Johnson Central, Breathitt could beat Harlan County. Somerset since they recruited some decent players may do ok this year, thats yet to be seen. Personally I thought Somerset sucked last year. The were a bunch of wimps. Biggest man on the team never got off the bench. Comical I must say. No team in the mountains has any REAL D1 players either. Jordan Olinger is probably the only one around here that has a chance and playing D1. And I dont think it will be for the Florida Gators or anyone like that. EKU or Western maybe. Hope he does go to UK though. Somerset is always on here talking smack when they let poor little Perry Central beat them last year in the mud. All of a sudden they think they are better than Perry. Yeah Perry lost a lot but so did Somerset. Breathitt lost Will Collins (The Heart and soul of the Bobcats). Knox has Canady back and Whitley has Bryant so that has to put them in the top 10. Harlan County lost a ton of talent. Not sure about Bell but they lost Davenport. Heck thats enough. Hazard will be great again in the Biddy League division but I do think the Dawgs can beat any team in Eastern Kentucky. Not their fault they are a class A school. Still love the dawgs but their district is owe so pitiful. Pikeville just isnt the old Pikeville anymore. To many dang schools in Pike County. Well Somerset good luck to you guys and hope you get some more recruits. Perry will beat you again this year. Mark it down.
The_Rock Wrote:This has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Let me say this, there are NO DOMINANT TEAMS in the mountains in any classes. Hazard could beat Bell, Perry could beat Hazard (sorry ekff), Belfry can beat Whitley, Prestonsburg can beat Johnson Central, Breathitt could beat Harlan County. Somerset since they recruited some decent players may do ok this year, thats yet to be seen. Personally I thought Somerset sucked last year. The were a bunch of wimps. Biggest man on the team never got off the bench. Comical I must say. No team in the mountains has any REAL D1 players either. Jordan Olinger is probably the only one around here that has a chance and playing D1. And I dont think it will be for the Florida Gators or anyone like that. EKU or Western maybe. Hope he does go to UK though. Somerset is always on here talking smack when they let poor little Perry Central beat them last year in the mud. All of a sudden they think they are better than Perry. Yeah Perry lost a lot but so did Somerset. Breathitt lost Will Collins (The Heart and soul of the Bobcats). Knox has Canady back and Whitley has Bryant so that has to put them in the top 10. Harlan County lost a ton of talent. Not sure about Bell but they lost Davenport. Heck thats enough. Hazard will be great again in the Biddy League division but I do think the Dawgs can beat any team in Eastern Kentucky. Not their fault they are a class A school. Still love the dawgs but their district is owe so pitiful. Pikeville just isnt the old Pikeville anymore. To many dang schools in Pike County. Well Somerset good luck to you guys and hope you get some more recruits. Perry will beat you again this year. Mark it down.

Bell Co only lost 8 Seniors. Biggest one was Davenport, but Bell reloads in that department at RB everytime they Graduate one.
The_Rock Wrote:This has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Let me say this, there are NO DOMINANT TEAMS in the mountains in any classes. Hazard could beat Bell, Perry could beat Hazard (sorry ekff), Belfry can beat Whitley, Prestonsburg can beat Johnson Central, Breathitt could beat Harlan County. Somerset since they recruited some decent players may do ok this year, thats yet to be seen. Personally I thought Somerset sucked last year. The were a bunch of wimps. Biggest man on the team never got off the bench. Comical I must say. No team in the mountains has any REAL D1 players either. Jordan Olinger is probably the only one around here that has a chance and playing D1. And I dont think it will be for the Florida Gators or anyone like that. EKU or Western maybe. Hope he does go to UK though. Somerset is always on here talking smack when they let poor little Perry Central beat them last year in the mud. All of a sudden they think they are better than Perry. Yeah Perry lost a lot but so did Somerset. Breathitt lost Will Collins (The Heart and soul of the Bobcats). Knox has Canady back and Whitley has Bryant so that has to put them in the top 10. Harlan County lost a ton of talent. Not sure about Bell but they lost Davenport. Heck thats enough. Hazard will be great again in the Biddy League division but I do think the Dawgs can beat any team in Eastern Kentucky. Not their fault they are a class A school. Still love the dawgs but their district is owe so pitiful. Pikeville just isnt the old Pikeville anymore. To many dang schools in Pike County. Well Somerset good luck to you guys and hope you get some more recruits. Perry will beat you again this year. Mark it down.

:oooo:
The_Rock Wrote:This has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Somerset since they recruited some decent players may do ok this year, thats yet to be seen. Personally I thought Somerset sucked last year. The were a bunch of wimps. Biggest man on the team never got off the bench. Comical I must say. No team in the mountains has any REAL D1 players either. Jordan Olinger is probably the only one around here that has a chance and playing D1. And I dont think it will be for the Florida Gators or anyone like that. EKU or Western maybe. Hope he does go to UK though. Somerset is always on here talking smack when they let poor little Perry Central beat them last year in the mud. All of a sudden they think they are better than Perry. Yeah Perry lost a lot. Still love the dawgs but their district is owe so pitiful. Pikeville just isnt the old Pikeville anymore. To many dang schools in Pike County. Well Somerset good luck to you guys and hope you get some more recruits. Perry will beat you again this year. Mark it down.

GTFO. You're an idiot.
This seems like a pretty good mountain top 10

1. Belfry
2. Bell County
3. Harlan County
4. Breathitt County
5. Johnson Central
6. Whitley Co
7. Hazard
8. Somerset
9. Perry Central
10. Pike Central

I figured id try my hand at picking a mountain top ten
And yes you do see a Pike central team on there.
colonelking69 Wrote:On a given night anyone can beat anyone . But williamsburg has a weak schedule . They will not play any teams that they think will beat them.

CONGRADULATIONS WILLIAMSBURG for even being in the company of the MOUNTIAN TOP 10, thats a great achievment for a school with 207 students. Some haters get on here and say you don't belong should be worried about their own team, you were picked by a nuetral tv station 100 miles away not no daddys or coachs or local newspapers reporters that is trying to make everybody happy.
Whitley comes off a 3-8 season, and according to the local paper your coach is 32-38 over-all, the only losing coach in the county Coach Jewell (CORBIN) and Herron (WILLIAMSBURG) both have great winning percentages. YEAH colonelking69 somebody needs scheduling school. Yeah you play a hard schedule, but can't compete and it showed last and the year before,and the year before that. Just look at last year finished last in your district with 0 wins and got blowed out 6 times during the season.
Lost to Russell 0-30
Lost to Rock 3-36
Lost to Boyle 10-49
Lost to SW 10-40
Lost to Harlan 25-51
Lost to Bell 10-33
Whitley (5A) has 1177 students and plays no 6a teams, while Corbin (3a) plays 2 of them. :biglmao:
Hey dude, your an idiot. Slamming Somerset like that. Not tough cmon. Storm Wilson went D1, ohh just in Baseball at Kentucky. Lange had visits to Ky, Missouri, and Indiana , but a Baseball knee injury put a hold on that. Taylor Speaks got a full ride to Eastern Ky in football, so that is 3 D1 on one team. And who was a recruit last year? I dont know of any! Yes they did add one this year from McCreary cuz he was sick of McCreary fb. The field at Perry was unplayable. on a decent filed Somerset beats them by 20. Just like this year, I bet it is not even close. Somerset will blow the doors off Perry. Somerset's freshman and junior classes both 8th grade middle school state champs. The junior class at Williamsburg that is so good. Well in 8th grade they were undeafeated and cocky until they played Somerset 8th grade. Somerset beat them by 30! This Somerset team might be their best in years and that is saying alot 36 and 6 last 3 years with a tough schedule. The last 2 semi finals Somerset had to travel to Belfry and Holy Cross. By the way Belfry barely beat Somerset that year and Somerset beat Breathitt on the way to Belfry. This year Semi is at Somerset. Beware!
Corbin wouldnt come play Whitley so what does corbin got to do with any of this. They cried because they got put in Bells district. And yeah whitley a bad year last year we lost all but 1 skill player . We will see how this year comes along. Yeah williamsburg and corbin got good winning percentages but then again weak schedules make that a lot easier too do.
the preseason ranking, don't mean nothing. all they have to go by, is the kids returning. by week 3 or 4, everyone will see what kind of team everone will have. the top 10 will be clear.
Grey Goose Wrote:Hey dude, your an idiot. Slamming Somerset like that. Not tough cmon. Storm Wilson went D1, ohh just in Baseball at Kentucky. Lange had visits to Ky, Missouri, and Indiana , but a Baseball knee injury put a hold on that. Taylor Speaks got a full ride to Eastern Ky in football, so that is 3 D1 on one team. And who was a recruit last year? I dont know of any! Yes they did add one this year from McCreary cuz he was sick of McCreary fb. The field at Perry was unplayable. on a decent filed Somerset beats them by 20. Just like this year, I bet it is not even close. Somerset will blow the doors off Perry. Somerset's freshman and junior classes both 8th grade middle school state champs. The junior class at Williamsburg that is so good. Well in 8th grade they were undeafeated and cocky until they played Somerset 8th grade. Somerset beat them by 30! This Somerset team might be their best in years and that is saying alot 36 and 6 last 3 years with a tough schedule. The last 2 semi finals Somerset had to travel to Belfry and Holy Cross. By the way Belfry barely beat Somerset that year and Somerset beat Breathitt on the way to Belfry. This year Semi is at Somerset. Beware!

Then why didn't they? Perry had to play on that same field, it's not like we are masters of the mud (see: Rockcastle game earlier that year). I don't agree with the things The_Rock said but c'mon, shoulda, coulda, woulda don't mean a thing.
T1up Wrote:CONGRADULATIONS WILLIAMSBURG for even being in the company of the MOUNTIAN TOP 10, thats a great achievment for a school with 207 students. Some haters get on here and say you don't belong should be worried about their own team, you were picked by a nuetral tv station 100 miles away not no daddys or coachs or local newspapers reporters that is trying to make everybody happy.
Whitley comes off a 3-8 season, and according to the local paper your coach is 32-38 over-all, the only losing coach in the county Coach Jewell (CORBIN) and Herron (WILLIAMSBURG) both have great winning percentages. YEAH colonelking69 somebody needs scheduling school. Yeah you play a hard schedule, but can't compete and it showed last and the year before,and the year before that. Just look at last year finished last in your district with 0 wins and got blowed out 6 times during the season.
Lost to Russell 0-30
Lost to Rock 3-36
Lost to Boyle 10-49
Lost to SW 10-40
Lost to Harlan 25-51
Lost to Bell 10-33
Whitley (5A) has 1177 students and plays no 6a teams, while Corbin (3a) plays 2 of them. :biglmao:

Thanks for your insightful post.
You are a true contibutor to this site in every aspect.
:Shaking:

Complete ignorant statements, and im not going to tell you why.
There are very few teams in this state who could have done any better, including those inside this county.

Congratualations on being my pick for number 1........nevermind. Kids might see this.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thanks for your insightful post.
You are a true contibutor to this site in every aspect.
:Shaking:

Complete ignorant statements, and im not going to tell you why.
There are very few teams in this state who could have done any better, including those inside this county.

Congratualations on being my pick for number 1........nevermind. Kids might see this.

boy the truth hurts ha ha ha ha and by the way being #1 is a good feeling but you wouldn't know. hey loser the redhounds put one of those 6a teams down tonight.
T1up Wrote:boy the truth hurts ha ha ha ha and by the way being #1 is a good feeling but you wouldn't know. hey loser the redhounds put one of those 6a teams down tonight.

Its funny you mention being number one.
Was you even alive in 1982? Afterall thats the last time you were number one.

Im not going to argue with a high schooler, as it appears you are, but i support Corbin and Williamsburg along with the County.

Its people, especially kids, around this town that dont understand these teams have no affect on one another. Three teams and three different classes. Show some respect and support, along with class, and you will start getting some in return. I was at the Corbin game tonight. It was a solid win for Corbin, but theres no need to talk trash. That may be one of the weakest GRC teams ive ever seen, if not the weakest. And yes, i use to watch them everyyear from 2001 to 2007.

Goodluck with the rest of the year. Not all fans are as non supportive as you. You need to support all area programs as it only makes us all better.
Backwoods Wrote:Last season,it seems to me,that it took Hazard at least a week or two to break into the Mountain top ten and Williamsburg makes it in at the 6th spot above a team that beat them in a scrimmage. I don't see it. I guarantee they play the weakest schedule in the top ten.

Wburg Schedule
"Jellico" Pretty Weak Team
"Harlan" Good Team
"Pineville" Average team at best
"Leslie Co." Better than what you think
"Oneida, TN" Top 4 Team in TN, possible state Champ
"Allen Central" Average at best
"Campbellsville" Who knows, could be good with the players they have
"Berea" Another Average at best probably
"Lynn Camp" I feel bad for the campers
"Oliver Springs" ANother dang good team from TN

After looking at the schedule I would say it is an average schedule but there are some tough teams in there to test Jackets without the team getting riddled with injuries. Pretty smart scheduling by the head coach. Test the team but don't get them destroyed. Let's be honest here, in 1A football the team who goes into the playoffs healthy usually does the best.
Noble Wrote:Wburg Schedule
"Jellico" Pretty Weak Team
"Harlan" Good Team
"Pineville" Average team at best
"Leslie Co." Better than what you think
"Oneida, TN" Top 4 Team in TN, possible state Champ
"Allen Central" Average at best
"Campbellsville" Who knows, could be good with the players they have
"Berea" Another Average at best probably
"Lynn Camp" I feel bad for the campers
"Oliver Springs" ANother dang good team from TN

After looking at the schedule I would say it is an average schedule but there are some tough teams in there to test Jackets without the team getting riddled with injuries. Pretty smart scheduling by the head coach. Test the team but don't get them destroyed. Let's be honest here, in 1A football the team who goes into the playoffs healthy usually does the best.
I agree with that but there's is an average 1A schedule. The teams under Williamsburg play tougher schedules. Hey,I never said the Jacket's didn't belong in the "MT10". Maybe in at #10. Putting them that high shows Hazard no respect. It took the Bulldogs a state championship to make it where they are in the "MT10". Last season poster's didn't like it when they went as high 7 and Hazard wouldn't be caught dead with a schedule of the likes of Williamsburg's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Man I love High school football, reading all the post about why this team or that team is the best. I'm just glad to get to be in the middle of it. To me every team in the mountains are great. I love the fact that every KID on every team wants to be the best. We need to remember win or lose they are. Remember guys the Mountain Top 10 is just a list it's not the game that is played on the field.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:1. Bell Co
2. Harlan Co
3. Belfry
4. Hazard
5. Breathitt Co
6. Williamsburg
7. Somerset
8. Knox Central
9. Whitley Co
10. Johnson Central

Who does your team NOT want to play on THEIR home field in the playoffs?? That should give you a better idea of the true Mountain Top 10.
I'll use my Golden Eagles playoff record over the past 6 seasons.

2006 Playoffs
W 50-6 vs. Boyd Co. - HOME
W 28-21 vs. Ashland - HOME
W 29-7 vs. Rockcastle Co. - HOME
L 14-38 vs. Covington Catholic -HOME

2007 Playoffs
W 48-27 vs. Bryan Station - HOME
W 32-14 vs. Montgomery Co. - HOME
L 22-43 vs. Lincoln Co. - AWAY

2008 Playoffs
W - 54-13 vs. Holmes - HOME
W - 49-14 vs. Covington Catholic - HOME
L - 21-35 vs. Highlands - HOME

2009 Playoffs
W - 62-41 vs. Scott - HOME
W - 51-32 vs. Covington Catholic - HOME
L - 21-42 vs. Highlands - AWAY

2010 Playoffs
W - 47-13 vs. Scott - HOME
W - 41-28 vs. Covington Catholic - HOME
L - 14-21 vs. Highlands - HOME

2011 Playoffs
W - 66-20 vs. Holmes - HOME
L - 20-67 vs. Highlands - AWAY

JC might as well transfer to the NKY area, seems like thats all we see in the playoffs are NKY schools. But the point I'm trying to make.... Who do you not wanna play if a trip to Bowling Green is on the line. That should be your Mountain Top 10. And yes, (to all you Captain Obivous' out there....) Highlands has taken us out of the game for the past 4 years.
Grey Goose Wrote:Hey dude, your an idiot. Slamming Somerset like that. Not tough cmon. Storm Wilson went D1, ohh just in Baseball at Kentucky. Lange had visits to Ky, Missouri, and Indiana , but a Baseball knee injury put a hold on that. Taylor Speaks got a full ride to Eastern Ky in football, so that is 3 D1 on one team. And who was a recruit last year? I dont know of any! Yes they did add one this year from McCreary cuz he was sick of McCreary fb. The field at Perry was unplayable. on a decent filed Somerset beats them by 20. Just like this year, I bet it is not even close. Somerset will blow the doors off Perry. Somerset's freshman and junior classes both 8th grade middle school state champs. The junior class at Williamsburg that is so good. Well in 8th grade they were undeafeated and cocky until they played Somerset 8th grade. Somerset beat them by 30! This Somerset team might be their best in years and that is saying alot 36 and 6 last 3 years with a tough schedule. The last 2 semi finals Somerset had to travel to Belfry and Holy Cross. By the way Belfry barely beat Somerset that year and Somerset beat Breathitt on the way to Belfry. This year Semi is at Somerset. Beware!

but Somerset has favorite to win the Belfry game, when was last time Somerset beat Belfry?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:wow, a lot of people thought pulaski might be the front runner in district 7 and challenge Whitley and Harlan for region

Front Runner for District 7, possibly. Challenge for region, no. The district as a whole is down. This is the reason why Pulaski has the chance to be the front runner.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I wish Bell Co would schedule more Mtn games. Like against Hazard, Belfry, or Breathitt Co. Take away Cath and iHigh.com Bowl, and Whitley Co. The Middlesboro game is a Rival game and a money maker.

I could do without Middlesboro, no matter how much talking is done, everyone knows Middlesboro is going to struggle to put up points on the JV. That's an easy win. And I'm proud that Bell constantly plays out of class against tough teams. Lexington Catholic may beat us, but what other mountain school has it in them to challenge them, and come out and smack them in the mouth and go toe to toe with them for 48 min? Not very many. It's always a fun game to watch that the kids learn from. Whitley, Harlan County, we don't have to play up 2 classes and play them, but we do. I'd love to see us wind up in games with Belfry, Breathitt and Hazard though.

I agree his post was no where near worth anything reading. Not sure how Burg got in the mix but the Soph class at Wburg is the group that won state as 8th graders. They didnt play Meece that year and I don't recall them playing as 7th graders but if they did they would have only had 4 8th graders on that team.
Ive done nothing but back Wburg all year long, and have repeatedly told many on here how good they will be, but time will only tell.
As far as there region, there have as good of a chance as anyone IMO.
Number 6 in the Mountain? Prolly not.
But number 6 in class A may be an understatement.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive done nothing but back Wburg all year long, and have repeatedly told many on here how good they will be, but time will only tell.
As far as there region, there have as good of a chance as anyone IMO.
Number 6 in the Mountain? Prolly not.
But number 6 in class A may be an understatement.

Agree!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs:
well looks like a new number 1 nxt week,(Belfry) they may stay there the rest of the year... and again they may not..