• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview Additions
Heard Fairview has added a few new players this season. Any word on who they are? Positons, etc. Does this change the way that district plays out? How will they matchup with Pikeville in the playoffs?
I know for a fact they added a few from Huntington High, one was an all-state wide receiver from what I was told.
As I posted in another thread, Fairview's fortunes increased when it extended its boundary to include Cabell County, West Virginia. On the other hand, I guess this annexation only applies to football since Ashland is following the same path in basketball. It is truly interesting, though apparently not to KHSAA that these Huntingtonians are "relocating" their families to Westwood and Ashland. Where are all the jobs?
That i know of, 3 skill players from Huntington High in WV. One sophomore and two seniors. The two seniors aren't playing yet but are expected to eventually. All three are very good (one was 2nd team all state in WV AAA last year) and when added with what they have coming back they will be a tough out in 1A this year. There may be others but i don't know. I saw the sophomore in the grid against Lewis County and he was a talented player who got at least 6 to 8 carries and a bunch of yards.
Steelermatt Wrote:That i know of, 3 skill players from Huntington High in WV. One sophomore and two seniors. The two seniors aren't playing yet but are expected to eventually. All three are very good (one was 2nd team all state in WV AAA last year) and when i added with what they have coming back they will be a tough out in 1A this year. There may be others but i don't know.

Just a coincidence, don't you think? Why would a kid want to play for a big school like Huntington High School when they can matriculate to little Fairview? Same for Ashland in basketball.
Any of these guys related to OJ Mayo?
doubledown Wrote:Any of these guys related to OJ Mayo?

Good question but I think Mayo lived in South Point, Ohio and, since he attended a private school, didn't have to move to be eligible. Since these boys will be attending one of the two mentioned public schools, they must move to the applicable school district. That, of course, would seem to require the "obtaining" of "employment" by their parent/guardian/"sponsor". Are there an abundance of jobs available around Westwood-Ashland? History indicates that there are plenty of convenient apartments available at "reasonable" rents.
Two of the players were expelled from Huntington High School for beating the crap out of an 8th grader, the explusion was later removed. This is no different from previous years, last year they brought in a kid from South Charleston who was an all state player his junior year, I believe he was also expelled from his previous high school. It's been rumored that they added a QB from Spring Valley High School, I'm not 100% sure on that one. I will now sit back and wait for the blatantly rude comments to come flying in from Clint Westwood and Russellpride.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Good question but I think Mayo lived in South Point, Ohio and, since he attended a private school, didn't have to move to be eligible. Since these boys will be attending one of the two mentioned public schools, they must move to the applicable school district. That, of course, would seem to require the "obtaining" of "employment" by their parent/guardian/"sponsor". Are there an abundance of jobs available around Westwood-Ashland? History indicates that there are plenty of convenient apartments available at "reasonable" rents.

A certain someone within the administration at Fairview owns several pieces of rental property in Westwood. Take it for what it's worth.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedi...y-football

Heres a link showing several of the players last year at Huntington High.
Ramcat77 Wrote:A certain someone within the administration at Fairview owns several pieces of rental property in Westwood. Take it for what it's worth.

Ramcat77, you are right on target.
Fact is that everyone recruits. Fairview and Ashland are just better at it. Its not like this is recent it has happens for years.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Ramcat77, you are right on target.

I heard straight from one of the sophmores from huntington about his family living in a 3 bedroom house in westwood that he said an I quote "they got for us".
Take that for what its worth. Ashland does have a basketball player going to be a sophmore.
a kid named Dekimbay? (not sure about spelling) but I do know, no one got him a place to stay they are living in apartment On 29th st. That's the only one I know of? Fairview is turning into regular old Huntington West? really really wesssttt!
Fairview wlll have the top team in NE KY with this new group. The Wasteland guys can't stand it.
I watched what Brewer, Turner and the younger King did in the grid against Lewis County. Throw in the older brother and another still sitting and they will be very very tough for teams to handle, especially around here. Alot will depend on their qb development and thats a big issue. If they get that figured out, they are a sleeper for sure in 1A and that's at a state level.
BADCAT74 Wrote:I heard straight from one of the sophmores from huntington about his family living in a 3 bedroom house in westwood that he said an I quote "they got for us".
Take that for what its worth. Ashland does have a basketball player going to be a sophmore.
a kid named Dekimbay? (not sure about spelling) but I do know, no one got him a place to stay they are living in apartment On 29th st. That's the only one I know of? Fairview is turning into regular old Huntington West? really really wesssttt!

Let's see. Can't spell his name; do know about residence/apartment; do know no one got him a place to live. Now that is selective spinning. Is the kid living with his famil;y in this apartment and, if so, has suitable employment just happened to appear yet?

I think Hunter/James is absolutely correct in that all up there recruit and have done so for years. However, I don't agree that they are better at it than the others. I think, for somne reason, they get by with it
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Let's see. Can't spell his name; do know about residence/apartment; do know no one got him a place to live. Now that is selective spinning. Is the kid living with his famil;y in this apartment and, if so, has suitable employment just happened to appear yet?

I think Hunter/James is absolutely correct in that all up there recruit and have done so for years. However, I don't agree that they are better at it than the others. I think, for somne reason, they get by with it

If they can get by with it then thats being good at recruiting, thats the point.
Hunter/James Wrote:If they can get by with it then thats being good at recruiting, thats the point.

You are correct. In all likelihood, neither will ever win a state championship in football or basketball but they may do so in recruiting. They work hard at it.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You are correct. In all likelihood, neither will ever win a state championship in football or basketball but they may do so in recruiting. They work hard at it.

No highlands takes that one.
Hunter/James Wrote:No highlands takes that one.

Now that might be true. However, Fort Thomas Highlands football has one of the two greatest winning traditions in the Commonwealth. The other, of course, belongs to Louisville Trinity.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Now that might be true. However, Fort Thomas Highlands football has one of the two greatest winning traditions in the Commonwealth. The other, of course, belongs to Louisville Trinity.

I myself can see both perspectives of recruitment. As far as teams like Highalnds and Trinity goes, their program draws kids to take their talents and be apart of it. It speaks for itself. Which is what your trying to say I believe.
It all goes back to the old saying, it's only illegal if you get caught. There are schools that get kids from other coutnies every year for whatever reason. Anymore you honestly have to some type of recruiting to compete, and if you don't you will not have a chance. That's the truth of it.
Some towns across the state, more so then others the parents are more into holding kids back at a young age to give them a extra year of athletics. Do you agree with this? Would you do it for your child?
I can't believe this site allows comments that tell where players live to be out in public like that for everyone to see. Are any moderators paying attention to this thread? Got no dog in this fight, but I think some things shouldn't be published on a thread like this. General city (like South Point, Huntington, etc) is fine, but a specific street?
PHSForever Wrote:I can't believe this site allows comments that tell where players live to be out in public like that for everyone to see. Are any moderators paying attention to this thread? Got no dog in this fight, but I think some things shouldn't be published on a thread like this. General city (like South Point, Huntington, etc) is fine, but a specific street?

I may be wrong, but I didn't see a specific address, I saw a mention of 29th street, that's kind of general. I've seen worse things posted in threads that the moderators do nothing about, why should they in this instance? Just my two cents.
Ramcat77 Wrote:I may be wrong, but I didn't see a specific address, I saw a mention of 29th street, that's kind of general. I've seen worse things posted in threads that the moderators do nothing about, why should they in this instance? Just my two cents.
Specific streets being named is ridiculous and frankly, IMO, exposes players to potential threats. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees, but even the "general" mention of a specific street (that's kind of an oxymoron, BTW) should not happen. As I said, a city, county, etc is fair game in discussions like this, but to narrow it down to a street is borderline stupid. Just my opinion.
29th in Ashland is a VERY long and dense stretch, but I see your point.
PaytoPlay Wrote:29th in Ashland is a VERY long and dense stretch, but I see your point.

I agree, it is a long street, and dense in parts (especially around the hospital general area), but thanks for seeing my point.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Some towns across the state, more so then others the parents are more into holding kids back at a young age to give them a extra year of athletics. Do you agree with this? Would you do it for your child?

I was held back in 5th grade for the athletic reason. Im a huge supporter of it. The extra year helped me alot. Most of the 10 team could've held back like Preston, Pack, Frasher, etc. Imagine how our 11 team would've been then?
That is false, and your a liar. The kings live in Ashland and The Rutherfords rent a apartment in Westwood
  • 1(current)
  • Next