Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County @ Johnson Central (Scrimmage)
What does everyone think about this one?
Could tell us a lot about both teams.

Updates would be appreciated as i will not make the 3 hour trip to paintsville to watch a scrimmage Confusednicker:

Just so were clear, this is tomorrow night 8/10, correct?
I agree, it's gonna tell us a whole lot about each squad. Specifically, how Johnson Central will adjust to losing the state's all-time leading rusher, and how the Whitley County offensive line will hold up to make holes for Bryant. I'd love to watch this one, I think it will be a great experience for both teams (and because Perry plays both of these teams). According to KHSAA's website, it showed no seniors on last year's Whitley County squad, is this true RIUTG?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What does everyone think about this one?
Could tell us a lot about both teams.

Updates would be appreciated as i will not make the 3 hour trip to paintsville to watch a scrimmage Confusednicker:

Just so were clear, this is tomorrow night 8/10, correct?
I made the trip to Whitley County back in Matney's 1st year.... They had a good running back as I recall, don't remember his name.

The drive was long enough to make you feel like you should be at the beach.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:I agree, it's gonna tell us a whole lot about each squad. Specifically, how Johnson Central will adjust to losing the state's all-time leading rusher, and how the Whitley County offensive line will hold up to make holes for Bryant. I'd love to watch this one, I think it will be a great experience for both teams (and because Perry plays both of these teams). According to KHSAA's website, it showed no seniors on last year's Whitley County squad, is this true RIUTG?

I dont know what the deal with that roster is, but its wrong lol.
Whitley had around 7 or 8 seniors last year, most of the being lineman, except for a kicker.
We return the entire backfield, and as long as we managed to assemble a decent line this summer, we should be very good. Defense is where will have to see if a lot of kids step up. You cant win a bunch of ball games in 5A playing guys both ways. If we can manage to rest our back then it should be a good year.
JC is a good measuring stick for us. I would think both teams will benefit from this game greatly.

Whitley should have around 14 Seniors, 10 Juniors, 15 Sophomores, and 20 Fresh This year im thinking, or atleast that about what i counted.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I made the trip to Whitley County back in Matney's 1st year.... They had a good running back as I recall, don't remember his name.

The drive was long enough to make you feel like you should be at the beach.

Ive been to Johnson Central one time.
Back in 2003 Whitley went there and came away with a win.
The next year in 2004, Johnson Central came to Whitley and won by a TD i believe. The year your referring to was when Whitley had Ladale Rider as there RB. Very talented kid. Fast as lightning as well.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive been to Johnson Central one time.
Back in 2003 Whitley went there and came away with a win.
The next year in 2004, Johnson Central came to Whitley and won by a TD i believe. The year your referring to was when Whitley had Ladale Rider as there RB. Very talented kid. Fast as lightning as well.
We call the 2001, 2002 and the 2003 seasons "The Dark Ages" at JC. We went 5-25 over 3 seasons, with 0 playoff apperances.

And yes, that Ladale Rider was faster than greased lighting.
^
I recall that in one of those years JC and Montgomery Co, met with 0-9 records, so somebody had to win lol...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I recall that in one of those years JC and Montgomery Co, met with 0-9 records, so somebody had to win lol...

Don't remind us......

We called that game "The Toliet Bowl" :flush:
^
Confusednicker:
But on a serious note..... I hope tonight's scrimmage follows a real game schedule, with live kick-offs and punts. Not sure if Whitley Co. is a passing squad, but it would be nice to see how JC is going to defend against the pass this season.

I don't look for JC or Whitley to show too much of their hand tonight. We might see a glimpse of what each team is capable of.
I would say youll see a srimmage with 20 minute halfs or something and with the jv and frosh getting a lot of playing time.
If your expecting to see passing, you might want to catch another game lol. Whitley will fake left then fake right then head up the middle with the fullback. You'll see a lot of veer type option plays.
Just got home from the game....... Johnson Central, Whitley Co. and Powell Co. were there. Out of respect, I'm not gonna say too much about either team's performance. The scrimmage was in a game style. Down and distance, quarters, kick-offs and punts. Kinda hard to get a grasp from a scrimmage.

Whitley Co. should be just fine. Their back field/WR core looked to be ahead of the game. Their line is big. On Defense, they had alot of even team speed.

JC played good. Typical Matney team. Nothing new, run the ball.... and pound people in to submission. Defense looked good.

Powell Co. looked young. Had some nice players, but they have a long way to go.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would say youll see a srimmage with 20 minute halfs or something and with the jv and frosh getting a lot of playing time.
If your expecting to see passing, you might want to catch another game lol. Whitley will fake left then fake right then head up the middle with the fullback. You'll see a lot of veer type option plays.
Thats why they will be sitting at home during the playoffs.
^
Says the man whos team refuses to play us and a man whos team was beat to death by Harlan County last night and looked to be on the same level as Clay County.

Yes, id say im the one worried....
Ive heard from a few people including a poster on here that Whitley ran the ball very well and even showed some passing. Heard Ysidro looked good scrambling at QB and the biggest question mark will be the defense and depth.
Getting excited about this season. I think this team could compete for a region title as long as no injuries head our way.
Ive also heard JC looked a lot better than expected. Ran the ball very well on both squads does what matney always does. Could be another district year for them.
And both teams beat Powell County in the ground from what ive heard so far.

I did not attend, but sounds like it was a good night.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive heard from a few people including a poster on here that Whitley ran the ball very well and even showed some passing. Heard Ysidro looked good scrambling at QB and the biggest question mark will be the defense and depth. Getting excited about this season. I think this team could compete for a region title as long as no injuries head our way.
Ive also heard JC looked a lot better than expected. Ran the ball very well on both squads does what matney always does. Could be another district year for them.
And both teams beat Powell County in the ground from what ive heard so far.

I did not attend, but sounds like it was a good night.
I didn't get a chance to ask, but Whitley dressed about X# of kids. Not sure if that was the whole squad was brought, Frosh-Senior, but depth for them could be a factor for them in 5A.

One thing I did notice about all 3 squads, (knock on wood for JC) there were very few substituion errors last night. It seemed like the kids and coaches knew their assignments.
I was impressed with Whitley Co. and Johnson Central. It is clear both teams are very well coached and know how to play physical football and enjoy the game.

I think after watching this scrimmage both teams are going to have nice seasons . Whitley came off the ball well and it is no secret that Boston Bryant runs the ball well but there were some new wrinkles (kids) in the offensive mix that were very impressive. Defensively Whitley showed vast improvement over last year.

Overall I think it was a great scrimmage for both teams.
JC's passing game looked good in the first scrimmage last night.
GO EAGLES! Glad to be on the site, been a follower for a while!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I didn't get a chance to ask, but Whitley dressed about X# of kids. Not sure if that was the whole squad was brought, Frosh-Senior, but depth for them could be a factor for them in 5A.

One thing I did notice about all 3 squads, (knock on wood for JC) there were very few substituion errors last night. It seemed like the kids and coaches knew their assignments.

I believe the freshman did not go with Whitley except one or two that could see some playing time this year.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:I was impressed with Whitley Co. and Johnson Central. It is clear both teams are very well coached and know how to play physical football and enjoy the game.

I think after watching this scrimmage both teams are going to have nice seasons . Whitley came off the ball well and it is no secret that Boston Bryant runs the ball well but there were some new wrinkles (kids) in the offensive mix that were very impressive. Defensively Whitley showed vast improvement over last year.

Overall I think it was a great scrimmage for both teams.

That sounds like a huge plus.
As ive said, i did not attend the scrimmage so i do not know how anything went other than what ive heard. I was told by a couple of parent/players that JC was a lot better than advertised. Im just glad it wasnt the same drubbing we recieved last year during that scrimmage.
Im very happy that so many have said Whitley came off the ball so well. The O Line was my biggest worry, as our backfield is stacked. Should be a great year for both teams.
Any chance these two start scheduling a yearly game?
I know that Whitley has contracts running out after this year and it would be nice to see these two start playing although the drive could greatly affect it.
I do know Campbell (Whitleys AD) and Matney are really good friends.
PineapplePete Wrote:GO EAGLES! Glad to be on the site, been a follower for a while!

Good to have you. Welcome to the site.
whitley has a good fullback he should do really good this year he was a hand full to tackle fast runer for such big kid. jc look really good but the line backers havent learn how too fill the gaps yeat. both teams should in prove every week should be a good season for both. whitley front 3 d was good as i sean in along time powell county should hold there heads up they look really good for them playing 4 a and 5 a school good luck too all 3 teams. cant wait till next friday ---
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Any chance these two start scheduling a yearly game?
I know that Whitley has contracts running out after this year and it would be nice to see these two start playing although the drive could greatly affect it.
I do know Campbell (Whitleys AD) and Matney are really good friends.
I'd like to see a 2 year Home-Home series between these two.
It would be a good week 0,1 or 2 match-up.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I'd like to see a 2 year Home-Home series between these two.

3 hour bus ride for a regular season game, come on. EVERYONE complains about traveling to far for playoff games now we want to travel 3 hrs for a regular season game. It's way to far to travel, PERIOD.
Good measuring stick for both teams.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I'd like to see a 2 year Home-Home series between these two.

It would be nice to see.
Could be fun if these two could pick somewhere in the middle to meet for two years and have like a bowl on a saturday for the first week of the year.
Somewhere around Hazard or something.
footballfever Wrote:3 hour bus ride for a regular season game, come on. EVERYONE complains about traveling to far for playoff games now we want to travel 3 hrs for a regular season game. It's way to far to travel, PERIOD.

lol, you do remember us driving all the way to Belfry a couple of years ago, right?
Black oes like to schedule good teams and sometimes you have to travel to get them.