Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs. Somerset (2003 Class A Playoffs, 2nd Round Highlights)
The Panthers go on the road and leave the Briar Patch with a 2nd Round Playoff win. The Pikeville offense dominated the time of possession, and jumped out to a 20-0 lead. Somerset would battle back to bring the game to within a score, but the Panthers held on tough for the win. Junior, RB #40 Robert Shurtleff, had a big game for the Panthers after Sophomore Tailback #2 Weston Robinson left the game with an injury.

Highlights from both teams included in this 15 minute video.

[YOUTUBE="Pikeville vs. Somerset 2003 Playoffs"]NkZl7pFkeFw[/YOUTUBE]
Ouch. We still have not painted an 'S' on our field or painted anything in the end zones since this game. It had nothing to do with the game or how it was played, but we repainted the 'S' and checkered the end zones the week before this game. It's been nothing but numbers and lines ever since.
Well there was a Rabbit on there one time while I was on the field crew (I didn't have a vote on that either), but I think we lost that game too.

In 2009 the year the Jumpers went 14-1 and were state runners up we painted diagonal lines (Like Notre Dame) in the end zones...but NOTHING should ever be painted in the middle again.
Any highlights from the 2005 playoff game?
Watching that replay has got me "Ready for some football"
Jumper Dad Wrote:Any highlights from the 2005 playoff game?

I would like to see this also.
I have 2003 and 2004, I have not gotten a hold of much 2005 stuff. I have '05 NewCath and '05 Harlan. This '03 game was awesome to re-watch. Not many big plays, just solid football all the way around.

I really miss Somerset/Pikeville games. Those were some of my favorite games to go to in Elem/Jr. High. I just loved making the trip to Somerset and the colors, mascot, stadium, etc... were so distinct that it made it stick out. And now realizing all the history of Somerset makes it even cooler.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I have 2003 and 2004, I have not gotten a hold of much 2005 stuff. I have '05 NewCath and '05 Harlan. This '03 game was awesome to re-watch. Not many big plays, just solid football all the way around.

I really miss Somerset/Pikeville games. Those were some of my favorite games to go to in Elem/Jr. High. I just loved making the trip to Somerset and the colors, mascot, stadium, etc... were so distinct that it made it stick out. And now realizing all the history of Somerset makes it even cooler.

Those were my playing days and I really enjoyed playing Pikeville also. '05 was my senior year. Even in the years the games weren't so good, there was always a mutual respect between both teams and some really great playoff environments. That was a fun region there for a short while.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Well there was a Rabbit on there one time while I was on the field crew (I didn't have a vote on that either), but I think we lost that game too.

In 2009 the year the Jumpers went 14-1 and were state runners up we painted diagonal lines (Like Notre Dame) in the end zones...but NOTHING should ever be painted in the middle again.

Didn't remember that, agreed though. The simpler the better, the diagonal lines were ok but that is it. That and the drainage issues were part of the reason we always had that brown patch between the hash marks after two or three games. You can't go too extreme on natural grass. Clark looks better with less paint anyways IMO.
Depends on how the Pikeville quaterback settles into his new posaition. I still will go with Pikeville in a real close one!
RoShamBo Wrote:Didn't remember that, agreed though. The simpler the better, the diagonal lines were ok but that is it. That and the drainage issues were part of the reason we always had that brown patch between the hash marks after two or three games. You can't go too extreme on natural grass. Clark looks better with less paint anyways IMO.

There was some talk by some of the senior dads in 09 about checker boards in the endzone for senior night, but no one ever seemed to support it or offer to help with all that extra paint so the idea died off...has it should.