Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Paterno statue to be taken down?
On Tuesday, a small plane pulled a banner over State College reading, "Take the statue down or we will." The plane is licensed to Air America Aerial Ads of Genoa, Ohio. A person who answered the phone at Air America declined to give his name or identify who paid for the flight.
If Joe Pa knew this was going on and didn't bother to say anything then hell yes it should be taken down, even if he is one of the greatest coaches of all time.
This is a tough question for me.

Obviously, the cover-up was heinous and despicable, however, was the cover-up, NOT THE ACTUAL ACT, so egregious that it takes precedence over his entire career and all the good that he did for Penn State?

I have not been able to answer that question yet. I feel like this is something that if it is left there will not be an issue one year from now. Obviously, right now, it is the hot button topic though.

For me, I would let it be known that I want to take the next academic year to make a full decision on all things Paterno. That way some of the heat will die down and a clear-headed decision can be made.

I think it is a travesty that the Board of Trustees, former administration and athletic director have not taken more heat. Joe Paterno was the COACH. He may have thought he had power, but obviously all those I mentioned had the right to tell him his place and report the issue. It seems as if everyone involved is throwing all the heat on the convicted felon and the dead coach, people that either cannot defend themselves, or the clearly guiltiest party.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ WAYYYY Off base here LWC, but I certainly went through the exact same line of thinking. But my whacko line of thinking summed it up like this!

A man could be a pillar in the community. He could be the Rock that makes the community whole and sound. He is the moral leader and the one whose parents say to their children "I want you to grow up to be just like him". This man could be the financial foundation for the community, bringing in jobs and security to families all around. He could be the pillar that provides all sound spiritual, ethical and political structure that benefits all of the families in the community. This individual has touched thousands, maybe millions of lives, in such a way that all that he comes in contact with has made those individuals better human beings! This man has been a blessing to all those who have come in contact with him for 80 years.

Then, one night, while spending a wonderful evening with family and friends, he drinks one glass of wine too many. Nothing purposeful negligent, just a night like any other. But on this night, his senses were skewed just enough that he makes that one error in judgement on the road. That error causes an accident. In that 2 seconds that caused the accident, a mother and her newborn child are killed. In a mere 2 seconds of poor judgement, 80 years of good has been wiped clean!

OK, so it may be way off kilter to this incident. But I view this in a similar vain though. There is no doubt, Joe was all those examples that I explained in the first paragraph. But due to his inaction (not 2 seconds worth - but 12 years worth), lives have been taken that can NEVER ever be repaired.

Joe did not do the deed, but as I have contended, he was the single-most ENFORCER that could have stuck this evil Demon known as Sandusky in his place! Joe could not have changed what happen to all of those lives that were essentially destroyed up to 1998 - But he could have eliminated those lives that were destroyed after 1998!

No, I do not blame Joe for what Sandusky did! But Joe did not blame Sandusky for what he did either. And to me, that has now trumped all the good that Joe has done over his lifetime.

LWC, you preach to a congregation. You hope that your message is heard by ALL. Your prayer is that all will be brought closer to spiritual healing through the words that God places on your tongue. But, you know that it's typical that your message is heard by ONE, and it makes an impact on that individual. We live our lives hoping to impact just one person in a way that saves that persons life in some way. Joe, definitely impacted lives in a possitive way, but does saving a million lives weigh to letting just one life be destroyed? I'm not a perfect man, and this whole scenario has been a living parable for all of us, one that surely will open our eyes and give us the strength to never let this happen on "OUR WATCH"!
take the statue down and put up a statue of stardust to remind the people of happy valley that nothing gets past dusty

in all seriousness though, take the statue down and anything that has Joe Paterno's name on it.
They need to get the damn Sandusky statue down first!

[Image: http://static.flickr.com/32/42849489_ec91283b40.jpg]
Take the statue down along with anythign that bears Paterno's name. Penn State has to remove themselves as far away from him as possible. That's the only way they can move past this towards a better future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“This is a great tradition that we have to live up to. It feels good that we were able to do this for Kentucky.” Brandon Knight

“it was a tough one, but we’re the real blue.” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

"This is MY state!" Anthony Davis
The name on the library is not in question. No matter what it stays. The statue is in question. I am pretty sure, if they took the name off the library they would have to take the whole library down because it was a donation, etc...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
They should take a Wrecking ball to it. He covered up one of the sickest acts in College Athletic history. He should have had jail time before he passed away.
In all honesty guys, Penn State hasnt been a contender in years and isnt the prestigous program everyone claims them to be.
^ that's true, but when you're bringing in an average attendance of over 90,000, you're football program is still significant. Also, many forget that Penn State had a very good chance at winning their Big Ten division until the Sandusky reports got stronger.
^ When your football program brings in $120,000,000.00 - You are SIGNIFICANT and RELEVANT!!!!
Nick Saban had a great idea of hitting the university where it really hurts them. Check it out on ESPN.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Should other statues around the country be taken down also? What about those statues of Presidents who owned slaves? or the ones that were elected because of the Indian Wars? What about other people who have statues at various places around the country, do they all need to be reviewed and a moral compass be used to determine if they should be melted down for scrap?
Maybe it needs to be moved instead of being at the entrance to the stadium, how about a corner somewhere. Granted JoPa was not an innocent bystander in this, there were many mistakes along the way from not only the university but also the prosecution office, state police, and other state offices.
nky is right JoePa is a great scapegoat but why is no one giving the state pure hell about not prosecuting, I posted on a another thread about the DA going missing with all the case files destroyed about sandusky he had more than enough evidence to prosecute him not once but twice. Why wasn't this done? It is very possible that this cover up went to the highest levels of the state. The authorities failed big time, but at least JoePa was man enough to say he was wrong.
Stardust, it would be more like if the 80 year-old had a friend who was an alcoholic and he fed this friend drinks and let him drive over and over again until someone was killed and then when his friend got out of prison, he fed him drinks and let him drive again until he killed someone else.
If they don't take it down there will be people there protesting it daily if they aren't already there.

I say go ahead and take it down - even though I personally don't think it should matter - it does more harm than good at this point.
If the University was comfortable with putting the biggest part of the blame on this guy they should be comfortable with taking down his statue.
$MU got the death penality because they had a "payroll to meet."

You guys SHOULD have gotten the death penality because of the crap Eddie Sutton pulled.

BUT...

In neither case did anyone go to jail.

State Penn should not only get the death penality, but they also should get kicked out of the B1G.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:State Penn should not only get the death penality, but they also should get kicked out of the B1G.

haha i noticed that hidden wish to have WVU join the B10, not going to happen buddy
The statue is being removed from the football facility
GONE!!!! It was just a matter of time
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:nky is right JoePa is a great scapegoat but why is no one giving the state pure hell about not prosecuting, I posted on a another thread about the DA going missing with all the case files destroyed about sandusky he had more than enough evidence to prosecute him not once but twice. Why wasn't this done? It is very possible that this cover up went to the highest levels of the state. The authorities failed big time, but at least JoePa was man enough to say he was wrong.

It is all a big Republican coverup due to Coach Paterno having supported the elder Bush and spoke at the 1988 Republican convention. One of the attorney generals whose office investigated allegations is currently the Republican governor of Pennsylvania at this time. I am only joking about the coverup but the other facts are true. I do not thing party lines had anything to do with it before some of you get your red bloomers knotted up. It is the power of big time sports having the power to run a state and the coach being the most powerful person in that state. JoePa only admitted he was wrong when there was no other recourse and it was after the fact. I think they need to drop the statue off in West Virginia. It is the best state to dispose of waste.
toussaints Wrote:haha i noticed that hidden wish to have WVU join the B10, not going to happen buddy

Why would WVU want to join the B1G when we just joined the Big XII???
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Why would WVU want to join the B1G when we just joined the Big XII???

cause the Big 10 is where WVU wanted to go in the 1st place. The Big 12 was 3rd on WVU wish list
Now that the statue is down, they should give it to the Paterno family to keep. They needed to take that statue and anything in the stadium and football facilities with Paterno's name down, not because of what Paterno did, but because PSU administrators needed to make a decision to take the pressure from the media off of them before lawsuits and investigations really pick up. The statue coming down will have no effect towards the victims and their families.

PSU administrators have been and are still using Paterno as a scapegoat for their own failings. It's easy for them to place their blame on a dead man who was the image of PSU and try to get attorneys and the victims to see that the administration only screwed up because JoePa told them to hide it. However, more and more pressure is starting to fall on Penn State because many people are starting to figure out that Penn State never had anything in place to handle situations like this and its absolutely ridiculous to think the admins couldn't have done anything about this.

The Catholic church got in trouble because they didn't have any training and set guidelines for handling situations like child abuse. If they did, then they could have legally proven that they were not responsible for a few of their employees actions. Penn State didn't have anything in place, and it's going to hurt them in court. If they kept Paterno's stuff up, it would crush them.
toussaints Wrote:Now that the statue is down, they should give it to the Paterno family to keep. They needed to take that statue and anything in the stadium and football facilities with Paterno's name down, not because of what Paterno did, but because PSU administrators needed to make a decision to take the pressure from the media off of them before lawsuits and investigations really pick up. The statue coming down will have no effect towards the victims and their families.

PSU administrators have been and are still using Paterno as a scapegoat for their own failings. It's easy for them to place their blame on a dead man who was the image of PSU and try to get attorneys and the victims to see that the administration only screwed up because JoePa told them to hide it. However, more and more pressure is starting to fall on Penn State because many people are starting to figure out that Penn State never had anything in place to handle situations like this and its absolutely ridiculous to think the admins couldn't have done anything about this.

The Catholic church got in trouble because they didn't have any training and set guidelines for handling situations like child abuse. If they did, then they could have legally proven that they were not responsible for a few of their employees actions. Penn State didn't have anything in place, and it's going to hurt them in court. If they kept Paterno's stuff up, it would crush them.

I know the first thing Penn state needs to get into place. COMMON SENSE.
I say keep it up....
The media needs to drop it and leave it alone it is getting so ignoring.... DROP IT NOW