Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Song Writers of the Rock Era
Aint no great bands to sing those great songs without those great song writers.

Here's a few of my favorites:

Jackson Browne

JD Souther
Don Henley
Bob Seger (of course)
Lennon/McCartney
I'm going back to Elvis on this one Bob, and putting Otis Blackwell at the top.... Wink

Maybe second to that is Satan, because guys like Ozzy, Robert Plant, and Axl Rose have all said that their best songs were written in less than 30 minutes, and they never knew where the words came from......
Stardust Wrote:I'm going back to Elvis on this one Bob, and putting Otis Blackwell at the top.... Wink

Maybe second to that is Satan, because guys like Ozzy, Robert Plant, and Axl Rose have all said that their best songs were written in less than 30 minutes, and they never knew where the words came from......

Ah, you know your stuff Dusty. I'm impressed.:Thumbs:

Glad you mentioned Robert Plant. I meant to include him in my list as well. Jim Morrison is another I almost put down. I will admit he is a great lyricist, but I personally just never cared much for the Doors,except for Riders on the Storm.
Not sure how great a writer Elvis was? Most of his songs were written by others Col.Tom would buy the publishing rights and Elvis would record it.

Elvis IS the KING, but not of writers.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Not sure how great a writer Elvis was? Most of his songs were written by others Col.Tom would buy the publishing rights and Elvis would record it.

Elvis IS the KING, but not of writers.

Yeah, Elvis was not much of a writer. He might throw in a line or two and get partial credit, but that's about it. I think Dusty knew that. I'm pretty sure all he was doing is just correlating Otis Blackwell to Elvis.
My Top 5:

The Boss Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
John Mellencamp
Neil Young
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Jim Steinman.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:Jim Steinman.

Good choice. :Thumbs:
LWC Wrote:Jim Steinman.

BOOM!

The man behind Meatloaf

and Bob - I'm a big Jackson Browne fan but I dunno if I could put him #1 on my list.

I'll need some time to think on this.
zaga_fan Wrote:BOOM!

The man behind Meatloaf

and Bob - I'm a big Jackson Browne fan but I dunno if I could put him #1 on my list.

I'll need some time to think on this.

That's alright. Take your time zaga..lol

Everything is all subjective to how you feel on a particular day anyways. Heck tomorrow I might change my mind and think it's Mac Davis.:biggrin:
Brian Wilson

A liitle on the country side, but Jimmy Webb.
zaga_fan Wrote:BOOM!

The man behind Meatloaf

If I'm not mistaken, he also wrote Total Eclipse of the Heart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here is my list...stopped at 7 cause my head hurts when I'm thinking too much...

#1 John Lennon & Paul McCartney...not even up for discussion is it really?
#2 Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller ("Jailhouse Rock", "Hound Dog", "Stand By Me", "Love Potion No. 9", "Kansas City")
#3 Chuck Berry ("Johnny B. Goode", "Maybellene", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Sweet Little Sixteen")
#4 Brian Wilson ("Good Vibrations", "God Only Knows", "California Girls," "Wouldn't It Be Nice,")
#5 Mick Jagger & Keith Richards ("I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Paint It, Black", "Jumpin' Jack Flash")
#6 Elton John & Bernie Taupin ("Candle In The Wind", "Your Song", "Tiny Dancer", "Crocodile Rock", "Bennie and the Jets")
#7 Prince ("When Doves Cry", "Purple Rain", "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Kiss")
[QUOTE=Jumper Dad;1458334]Here is my list...stopped at 7 cause my head hurts when I'm thinking too much...

#2 Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller ("Jailhouse Rock", "Hound Dog", "Stand By Me", "Love Potion No. 9", "Kansas City")
#3 Chuck Berry ("Johnny B. Goode", "Maybellene", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Sweet Little Sixteen")
#4 Brian Wilson ("Good Vibrations", "God Only Knows", "California Girls," "Wouldn't It Be Nice,")
#5 Mick Jagger & Keith Richards ("I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Paint It, Black", "Jumpin' Jack Flash")
#6 Elton John & Bernie Taupin ("Candle In The Wind", "Your Song", "Tiny Dancer", "Crocodile Rock", "Bennie and the Jets")
#7 Prince ("When Doves Cry", "Purple Rain", "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Kiss")[/QUOTE]

(#1) As much as I like J. Browne that probably is a statement I would have a hard time disputing.

(#2) Of all the songs they wrote, King Creole may be my favorite.
I take it that Mili Vanili wont make this list.
^^
LOL
Even I know who that is!!!!
Bob Seger Wrote:That's alright. Take your time zaga..lol

Everything is all subjective to how you feel on a particular day anyways. Heck tomorrow I might change my mind and think it's Mac Davis.:biggrin:

If I make one today....
it will be different tomorrow.

So if I take a few days at look at it I should have a legit one lol
LWC Wrote:If I'm not mistaken, he also wrote Total Eclipse of the Heart.

I don't know if he did or not...

but I can promise you the fact that he wrote the Bat out of Hell album makes Total Eclipse of the Heart irrelevant lol
[YOUTUBE="Boom!"]C4MFxcFofkY[/YOUTUBE]
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't know if he did or not...

but I can promise you the fact that he wrote the Bat out of Hell album makes Total Eclipse of the Heart irrelevant lol

Oh yeah that Meatloaf album was solid gold. I was just stating that if he did write Total Eclipse, then he might just be one of the three greatest overall writer ever. Most writers wrote for one genre, artist or time. His songs can be enjoyed just as much today, as they were then.

If Meatloaf had not ruined himself, he might have been regarded as one of the best ever. Anyone that can have those songs laid in their lap, with a writer like him at their disposal, has NO excuses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bob Seger Wrote:[QUOTE=Jumper Dad;1458334]Here is my list...stopped at 7 cause my head hurts when I'm thinking too much...

#7 Prince ("When Doves Cry", "Purple Rain", "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Kiss")

(#1) As much as I like J. Browne that probably is a statement I would have a hard time disputing.[/QUOTE]

Quote:Before the Deluge (Jackson Browne song)
The Birds of St. Marks
Boulevard (song)
Doctor My Eyes
Doolin–Dalton
For a Rocker
For Everyman (song)
Hold On Hold Out
I'm Alive (Jackson Browne song)
James Dean (song)
Lawyers in Love (song)
The Load-Out
The Pretender (Jackson Browne song)