Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for today
some say there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.. I guess that could be true.. but my question is if you had kids how would you discipline them
I do have kids, two of them. Both girls, one is 11 and the other is 4. They both have me wrapped around their fingers. But if they need discipline, they will get it. The same way I got it when I was young. They will be wipped with a belt if it is deserving of the crime. The types of discipline goes with the crime, so to speak. Here's a story I have to tell..... When my older daughter was younger, we were at wal-mart and she picked something up and put it in her pocket and when I got outside I found it and I gave her a spanking ( a good one on the butt, but I wasn't beating her ) and told her it was stealing. A lady came up to me and said she was going to report me for abuse. I asked her how many children she had and she said "NONE". I told her that this was my child and I would raise her to always do the right thing and repect others and to mind her own buisness. And then I told the lady maybe her parents should have done the same with her. Then I told her my name and where I lived. As I was leaving I stopped and told her that I prayed God would bless her with perfect children, because I hadn't seen any yet.

Never did her from her. Go figure.
There isn't a fine line between discipline and abuse. Abuse is simply physically beating a kid. I was brought up scared of the belt or switch, my kids will grow up the same way, and be better for it.
I agree with you two.. and like crossbones said, people like to stick their nose where it don't belong.. i've had my share of belts and limbs.. but i look back and can't say that I was really beaten.. I thank my parents for doing what they did, cause i think i turned out ok.. i just don't understand why people think that if you touch your child it is abuse
blackcat Wrote:There isn't a fine line between discipline and abuse. Abuse is simply physically beating a kid. I was brought up scared of the belt or switch, my kids will grow up the same way, and be better for it.

:thumpsup: :Clap: Couldn't of said it better my friend. No offense to some who may read this, but some of the younger generation has no repect for anything. They don't care how they dress, act, or speak. A simple "time out" just don't cut it. My wife worked for one of the local schools as a teacher aid. (1st grade). These kids would yell and tell the adults no, and you don't tell me what to do, and even would threaten to kill others. Unbelievable!!! And when the parents were informed, they would simple say " I can't do anything with them". Then they would say you can't spank my child.Rolleyes
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I agree with you two.. and like crossbones said, people like to stick their nose where it don't belong.. i've had my share of belts and limbs.. but i look back and can't say that I was really beaten.. I thank my parents for doing what they did, cause i think i turned out ok.. i just don't understand why people think that if you touch your child it is abuse

I honestly believe it is because that alot of the younger parents both work, so they can have the big homes and fancy cars and the daycares take care of their kids until they get home. Or they push the kid off on the grandparents and when they do have their own kids at home it is just for a short time and they pacify them until daycare is opened back up. I'm not saying all two parent working homes are like this or that this is the only reason for these kids behavior but it is one of the reasons IMO.
Another thing that bothers me is when a kid throws a fit, instead of the parent spanking them and letting them know its wrong. They say the kid has A.D.D. and hands them a handful of pills to calm them down. I never even heard of A.D.D. when I was a kid and if a doctor said I had it my dad would of ask if he could wipp it out of me.
Crossbones Wrote:Another thing that bothers me is when a kid throws a fit, instead of the parent spanking them and letting them know its wrong. They say the kid has A.D.D. and hands them a handful of pills to calm them down. I never even heard of A.D.D. when I was a kid and if a doctor said I had it my dad would of ask if he could wipp it out of me.

lol. i was gettin ready to touch on that.. i honestly believe all these ritalin cases could be cured with discipline.. well most of them.. i've seen it all first hand that a kid has no respect for anything, so they give them pills.. i'm only 23, and man have I made some huge mistakes in my life, but i can honestly say that even though my parents and I have gotten into it a bunch of times, i can still sit down and tell them i love them, and not tell them what to do, or tell them what i'm goin to do regardless of what they say
crazytaxidriver Wrote:lol. i was gettin ready to touch on that.. i honestly believe all these ritalin cases could be cured with discipline.. well most of them.. i've seen it all first hand that a kid has no respect for anything, so they give them pills.. i'm only 23, and man have I made some huge mistakes in my life, but i can honestly say that even though my parents and I have gotten into it a bunch of times, i can still sit down and tell them i love them, and not tell them what to do, or tell them what i'm goin to do regardless of what they say

:thumpsup: That's because of good raisings my friend. :letsparty thats for all the parents out there that care.
Crossbones Wrote:Another thing that bothers me is when a kid throws a fit, instead of the parent spanking them and letting them know its wrong. They say the kid has A.D.D. and hands them a handful of pills to calm them down. I never even heard of A.D.D. when I was a kid and if a doctor said I had it my dad would of ask if he could wipp it out of me.

that's exactly what my dad would have asked too... If i threw a fit i got the paddle taken to me. When i have kids it will be the same way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
Crossbones Wrote:I do have kids, two of them. Both girls, one is 11 and the other is 4. They both have me wrapped around their fingers. But if they need discipline, they will get it. The same way I got it when I was young. They will be wipped with a belt if it is deserving of the crime. The types of discipline goes with the crime, so to speak. Here's a story I have to tell..... When my older daughter was younger, we were at wal-mart and she picked something up and put it in her pocket and when I got outside I found it and I gave her a spanking ( a good one on the butt, but I wasn't beating her ) and told her it was stealing. A lady came up to me and said she was going to report me for abuse. I asked her how many children she had and she said "NONE". I told her that this was my child and I would raise her to always do the right thing and repect others and to mind her own buisness. And then I told the lady maybe her parents should have done the same with her. Then I told her my name and where I lived. As I was leaving I stopped and told her that I prayed God would bless her with perfect children, because I hadn't seen any yet.

Never did her from her. Go figure.

:Thumbs: Will probably hear from a lot of people on here who detest physical punishment, but it didn't turn me into a mass murderer or wanting to beat the crap out of everyone that disagrees with me. Instilled respect and a sense of responsibility. :Thumbs:
I think that to beat a child you have to be in the mind set that you want to beat a child. Different crimes call for different punishments and if it calls for a belt or a switch then so be it and if that is beating a child then i guess ill be sent to the pin.
Regarding A.D.D.: Attention Deficit is right. Some if not most of those kids need attention alright...right across the rearend. I have always disciplined my children when and where they needed it. All I had to say was, "Would you like to go to the restroom?" and they knew instantly that a spanking was coming if they continued acting ugly. It didn't matter if we were at church, at school, at walmart, etc.
i always hated to hear.. do you want me to take you outside.. lol
crazytaxidriver Wrote:i always hated to hear.. do you want me to take you outside.. lol

Smile Mine was "Go cut me a switch and it better be a good one."
Yeh when i get married and have children, i will definitely have some hedges like momma. Those switches HURT! But they worked, and i thank my parents for it.
blackcat Wrote:Smile Mine was "Go cut me a switch and it better be a good one."

i heard that one alot..
crazytaxidriver Wrote:i heard that one alot..
yep same here
blackcat Wrote:Smile Mine was "Go cut me a switch and it better be a good one."

And why did we think that getting the thinnest one possible wouldn't hurt as badly...duh!!! :moon:
Pirate Pal Wrote:And why did we think that getting the thinnest one possible wouldn't hurt as badly...duh!!! :moon:

Smile I got smart after the first 10 and starting bringing in tree limbs.
blackcat Wrote:Smile I got smart after the first 10 and starting bringing in tree limbs.

:thatsfunn and didn't you just love the little welp lines left on your leg for the next day...lol

Thank God for my parents...I actually have called and thanked them for teaching me manners, discipline, and respect growing up.
Smile There were 3 boys and 2 girls in my house growing up. The girls were older than us but us boys were all the same age. My brothers were twins and I was born 11 months later. We went all the way through school together and even graduated together.(first in Belfry history). Needless to say, we got our far amount of spankings, and when one got it, all got it. One day those brothers of mine done something and mom said "Go cut we a switch right now" I was still inside trying to plead my case and here came my brothers dragging in 5'' popluar tree. It was about 16' long. My mom laughed so hard that she didn't even wipp us.:Thumbs: But the next time we tried that little trick she simply tore off a couple of little swiches and braided them together and away she went. Then she made us cut the tree up and carry it off.:yikes:
Crossbones Wrote:Smile There were 3 boys and 2 girls in my house growing up. The girls were older than us but us boys were all the same age. My brothers were twins and I was born 11 months later. We went all the way through school together and even graduated together.(first in Belfry history). Needless to say, we got our far amount of spankings, and when one got it, all got it. One day those brothers of mine done something and mom said "Go cut we a switch right now" I was still inside trying to plead my case and here came my brothers dragging in 5'' popluar tree. It was about 16' long. My mom laughed so hard that she didn't even wipp us.:Thumbs: But the next time we tried that little trick she simply tore off a couple of little swiches and braided them together and away she went. Then she made us cut the tree up and carry it off.:yikes:

Smile
All of these things you guys mentioned are bringing back old memories. The switches, the belts, the hands, the paddles, all bring back memories. I think I had my fair share of whippings when I was younger, but I have grown into a better person because of it. And just like everyone else on here so far, I will raise my child with the same discipline that I was raised with.

Now let me ask you guys another question. How old should you wait before you start disciplining your kids? For instance my child is only 7 weeks old. I know that is too young right now, but I don't want to wait too long because most children learn better when they are younger in age. Like around when they start crawling or walking to slap their hands and let them no what the word NO means. Just wondering what the proper age would be to start disciplining.
BCF4L Wrote:All of these things you guys mentioned are bringing back old memories. The switches, the belts, the hands, the paddles, all bring back memories. I think I had my fair share of whippings when I was younger, but I have grown into a better person because of it. And just like everyone else on here so far, I will raise my child with the same discipline that I was raised with.

Now let me ask you guys another question. How old should you wait before you start disciplining your kids? For instance my child is only 7 weeks old. I know that is too young right now, but I don't want to wait too long because most children learn better when they are younger in age. Like around when they start crawling or walking to slap their hands and let them no what the word NO means. Just wondering what the proper age would be to start disciplining.

I think that will come to you naturally BCF4L. It depends on what kind of personality your child will have...I was one of those kids who would rather take a whipping than to hear my parents say they were disappointed in me or I let them down in some way. It hurt me worse than any spanking could have, whereas, my brother on the other hand, was the exact opposite.
incognito Wrote:Regarding A.D.D.: Attention Deficit is right. Some if not most of those kids need attention alright...right across the rearend. I have always disciplined my children when and where they needed it. All I had to say was, "Would you like to go to the restroom?" and they knew instantly that a spanking was coming if they continued acting ugly. It didn't matter if we were at church, at school, at walmart, etc.

Absolutely....I believe in spanking. I think todays' children are in desperate need of attention. I can remember as a child "acting up" and looking back to a degree wasn't it for attention--not always the kind I wanted but I eventually got attention. I love my parents dearly and there were times when I had the marks to prove just how much they loved me.

Today's parents are too quick to say my son/daughter wouldn't do that or behave that way-- Confusedhh:
This is a very good thread with a lot of great information. I received very few spankings from my father, but I remember them more than any. My mother even had a few back hands for my sister and me. I think that children need to have a good spanking from time to time, but I also think that a combination of punishment is wonderful also. There are times that you only need to talk to your child about his or her behavior. There are times that a time out is ok and there are times that a nice spanking is very appropriate. I will say that I have seen some cases where the parent had fun beating their child for everything. I don’t think anyone here likes to spank their child but know when it is needed. I have dealt with some very sad cases in my profession that makes me sick to the core. It wasn’t a case of a spanking and was a case of abuse. I feel that there is no one way to punish a child, but an arsenal of several methods can be very effective.

:ChairHit:
BelfryJustice Wrote:This is a very good thread with a lot of great information. I received very few spankings from my father, but I remember them more than any. My mother even had a few back hands for my sister and me. I think that children need to have a good spanking from time to time, but I also think that a combination of punishment is wonderful also. There are times that you only need to talk to your child about his or her behavior. There are times that a time out is ok and there are times that a nice spanking is very appropriate. I will say that I have seen some cases where the parent had fun beating their child for everything. I don’t think anyone here likes to spank their child but know when it is needed. I have dealt with some very sad cases in my profession that makes me sick to the core. It wasn’t a case of a spanking and was a case of abuse. I feel that there is no one way to punish a child, but an arsenal of several methods can be very effective.

:ChairHit:

i couldn't agree more
Pirate Pal Wrote:I think that will come to you naturally BCF4L. It depends on what kind of personality your child will have...I was one of those kids who would rather take a whipping than to hear my parents say they were disappointed in me or I let them down in some way. It hurt me worse than any spanking could have, whereas, my brother on the other hand, was the exact opposite.

i usually got both lol

BCF4L.. if you start teaching them early then it will be easier in the long run.. as far as the physical punishment i'd say when they learn to walk and talk.. you know just enough to let them know they did bad.. then as they grow older the punishments can start do be more serious
blackcat Wrote:Smile I got smart after the first 10 and starting bringing in tree limbs.

Yeah, well I tried that one "ONCE" and I never did it again. OUCH!!!!:ChairHit: