Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Draft....Who's Hot - Who's Not
Who's Hot?

Tyrus Thomas, PF, LSU: He was on no one's top-100 prospect board at the start of the season. A few of the NBA scouts who live in the area didn't even mention him when I put together my preseason top 100 in September. But after two dominating performances this weekend against Duke and Texas, a growing number of scouts are saying that Thomas is the best prospect in the draft.

His combination of size, athleticism, aggressiveness and skills (he showed some ball handling and a sweet 12-foot baseline jumper this weekend) are unmatched in the draft. Yes, he's still raw offensively. But watching him this weekend, it's getting difficult to come up with reasons why he shouldn't be considered the No. 1 pick in the draft. Eight teams passed on Amare Stoudemire in 2002 because they believed he was too raw to make an impact in the league. There won't be more than two, maybe three teams at most, who'll pass on Thomas this year. In fact, if Thomas has two more great performances left in him this weekend, he could be the consensus No. 1 pick by draft night.

Joakim Noah, PF/C, Florida: Noah wasn't on anyone's top-100 list either at the start of the season. But a stellar March has him in the top five as well. Like Thomas, Noah also has a great motor, excellent athleticism and more skills than you think. He too has been the best player in his region. And unlike Thomas, he's a legit 7-footer. If Noah was 25 pounds heavier, he'd be the No. 1 pick, hands down. As it stands now, he's No. 4 on our big board with an outside shot at the No. 1 pick for teams such as the Hawks and Raptors, who are in desperate need of size.

Josh McRoberts, PF, Duke: McRoberts didn't dominate the tournament like Thomas or Noah have. But he's shown enough potential and grit (a la Marvin Williams last year) to have firmly planted himself in the top 10 should he decide to declare for the draft. McRoberts has great size, an all-around game and excellent athleticism for his position -- giving him as much upside as just about anyone in the draft.

If he declares this year, he's probably guaranteed a top-10 pick with strong workouts. However, here's the dilemma. If he stays another year at Duke and continues to impress, he could be a top-three pick in the draft next year. Does he stay in Durham and work on his game? Or does he take the guaranteed money and run? My heart says he'll stay one more year and spend more time preparing himself for the NBA. My mind says he's shopping for Escalades as I write this.

LaMarcus Aldridge, PF, Texas: A 26-point, 13-rebound performance against West Virginia on Thursday had scouts buzzing that Aldridge had solidified his place as a potential No. 1 pick in the draft. A 2-for-14 performance against LSU on Saturday had scouts backtracking -- but only a little bit. Aldridge's game against LSU wasn't as bad as it looked in the box score. He did have 10 rebounds and five blocks. Most of his shots were on line, they just didn't go in.

While it's clear that big, physical players such as Glen Davis of LSU are going to push him further away from the basket, there's no reason to believe that on a better day, Aldridge can hit those shots he took. Besides, how many 310-pound power forwards is he going to have to face in the NBA? Clearly Aldridge needs to get stronger, but scouts believe that the rest of the package is there. He's holding onto our No. 1 spot on the big board by a thread. But truth is, scouts are split in two over whether Aldridge or Thomas is the best power forward in the draft.

Randy Foye, PG/SG, Villanova: It's tough to fault Foye for Villanova's demise in the tournament. He did everything for Villanova the past four games. He scored, he defended, and at times, he ran the team as a point guard. His 3-point shot has tapered off at a fairly alarming rate toward the end of the season, but for the most part NBA scouts believe he's a good enough shooter. He's still trying to convince scouts that he's a point guard at the next level, but there are enough NBA scouts and executives convinced he's a basketball player and it's still pretty likely he'll end up in the top 10 on draft night.

Honorable mention: Al Horford, PF, Florida; Marcus Williams, PG, UConn; Jeff Green, F, Georgetown; Glen Davis, F/C, LSU; Kyle Lowry, PG, Villanova; Brandon Roy, SG, Washington; Ryan Hollins, F/C, UCLA; Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, SF, UCLA; Patrick O'Bryant, C, Bradley

Who's Not....

J.J. Redick, SG, Duke: Redick's worst nightmare happened on Thursday. Not only did Duke suffer an early exit at the hands of LSU, but his fantastic senior season came into serious question with NBA scouts after the athletic LSU backcourt forced Redick into his worst game (3-for-18 from the field) of the year. This wasn't just a case of Redick's shot being a little off. He was horrible, and LSU freshman guard Garrett Temple drove him crazy. His length and athleticism were too much for Redick. He just couldn't get clean looks at the basket.

One game shouldn't taint a fantastic senior season -- but what every NBA scout that I talked to noted was that Temple is the type of athlete Redick will have to play against every night in the NBA. With that said, his stock isn't sliding as much as some might think. Scouts also understand that Redick won't be a star in the NBA and coaches won't be devising defenses to stop him the way LSU did. If Redick gets on a good team with a low-post presence, he should be an excellent sniper in the NBA. If asked to do what he did for Duke this year, it's going to get ugly. Look for him to fall in the range we've predicted for him most of the year: somewhere between 13 and 22 come draft night.

Adam Morrison, SF, Gonzaga: Morrison had a better tournament than Redick did, but his stock also suffered a bit after Gonzaga blew it against UCLA. Morrison is a well-known commodity among NBA scouts. They know his strengths and weaknesses. What Gonzaga's loss did was scrape away some of the mystique that was artificially inflating his stock. Had Morrison led Gonzaga to an NCAA title, it would've been tough for GMs to justify not taking him No. 1. Now that's not so hard.

Morrison is human too, and for the first time in several months, NBA scouts are acknowledging that again. Morrison is a very good, but not great, NBA prospect. That realization will likely cost him a few spots in the draft unless a team such as the Sonics or Blazers gets the No. 1 pick.

Rudy Gay, SF, Connecticut: By this time of the year, NBA scouts expect to see flashes of greatness from top-five prospects. Thomas, Noah and Aldridge all delivered at times. Gay? Not so much. He did have 20 points against George Mason in a losing effort on Sunday. But for the most part, scouts didn't see anything over the past four games to convince them that Gay is a potential No. 1 pick.

He grabbed some boards, hit a few jumpers and made a few plays. But he was rarely the best player on his team, let alone the floor. He has the tools. But he still has a long way to go before he figures out how to use them. That won't stop an NBA team from taking him in the lottery. But for now (until NBA team workouts that is) Gay has slipped out of contention for the No. 1 pick in the draft, according to the scouts Insider spoke with this weekend.

Rodney Carney, SF, Memphis: Carney has been trying to dump the "soft" label for the past three years. He did a great job of exorcising those demons during his senior season, but a so-so tournament has brought his stock back down to Earth. Carney's 2-for-12 performance against UCLA had scouts raising all the same concerns about toughness, focus and ability to perform in the clutch. Some team will fall in love with his combination of athleticism and shooting ability in individual workouts, but the tale of the tape is going to overcome.

Allan Ray, SG, Villanova: After Ray's great 25-point performance against Arizona last weekend, a few scouts were talking about him as a potential late first-round pick. But after two awful performances against Boston College (3-for-15) and Florida (5-for-19) that talk has cooled considerably. Ray has had an excellent season, but his NBA upside is questionable.

He's a good, but not great perimeter shooter who's undersized for his position and doesn't have the versatility to be anything more than a bench gunner. This isn't the way he wanted to end his career at Villanova. It will take a stellar performance at the Orlando pre-draft camp to get Ray's stock back on track.
What?? No Rondo, Morris, Crawford or Bradley from that 'stellar' recruiting class Tub hauled in a few years ago? No Carter, Thomas, Perry, Woo, Shag, Sparks or even Adam Williams?? Does Tubby ball hinder players from showcasing their skills for the NBA? One shouldn't wonder why the top recruits are shunning UK and picking programs like Dook, UNC, Nova, UConn, Florida, LSU etc. They want to get to the next level.
Yellow Snow Wrote:1. What?? No Rondo, Morris, Crawford or Bradley from that 'stellar' recruiting class Tub hauled in a few years ago?

2. No Carter, Thomas, Perry, Woo, Shag, Sparks or even Adam Williams??

3. Does Tubby ball hinder players from showcasing their skills for the NBA?

4. One shouldn't wonder why the top recruits are shunning UK and picking programs like Dook, UNC, Nova, UConn, Florida, LSU etc. They want to get to the next level.

1. Well considering they're sophmores, and that Rondo WILL be a top 20 pick in the draft I'd say that doesn't mean much..You don't have to have future NBA talent to win ball games..Just ask George Mason.. Confusedhh:

2. Grow up by not bashing 18-22 year olds who put their asses on the line each and every game for UK by trying their hardest..Now is the wrong time to say anything about Bobby Perry also...

3.I don't think so..Let's ask Bogans, Prince, Fitch, and Hayes about that one.. Confusedhh:

4. For the 52nd time, top recruits aren't shunning UK...Ask Meeks, Jasper, and Stevenson who all turned down some huge schools including some of the ones you mentioned, plus Florida Confusedhh: Not to mention Phil Jones shunned UCONN at the sound of hearing Tubby Smith wanted him...

Next.... Confusedhh:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.......aaaaaaaaaah, nothing like seeing the world through Big Blue glasses.:rockon:
Dont you mean nothing like seeing the world with a positive view?? Maybe seeing it with a glass half FULL of water?? I dont understand pessimists. Always wanting to see whats wrong with the world instead of whats good with the world. You know Yellow, You'll have less wrinkles if you stop being such a grumpy old man...
Yellow Snow Wrote:.......aaaaaaaaaah, nothing like seeing the world through Big Blue glasses.:rockon:

Way to stick to the topic and argue once again...Impressive...You really brought a lot to the conversation with that post, and really showed me up by disproving my arguements once again...Thanks Yellow Snow... :thumpsup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
corndog23 Wrote:You know Yellow, You'll have less wrinkles if you stop being such a gumpy old man...

Heh......I'll have you know I've got skin as smooth as a baby's butt. Nary a wrinkle to be found. :Clap: Bet you won't be able to make that claim when you get my age, especially if Tubby Smiff continues missing out on Final Fours the next 20+ years of his contract...Smile Being a Tubbyite will put at least 50 years on 'ya bub.
:dontthink
Sorry Yellow, but ol corn is still looking pretty fresh at the age of 19. I'm willing to bet when you were my age you looked about the same as you do now, always frowning and pissing on everybodys Snow...shew....haha
Let's get back on topic...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
corndog23 Wrote:Sorry Yellow, but ol corn is still looking pretty fresh at the age of 19. I'm willing to bet when you were my age you looked about the same as you do now, always frowning and pissing on everybodys Snow...shew....haha

Corn....truthfully, I can't argue with your assessment. I did my share of putting a nice yellow tint on things in the neighborhood....Smile
Alright Alfus....

I really think Tyrus Thomas has gone from being a relatively unknown player, to a potential top 15 draft pick in the NBA. The coolest thing about this freshman phenom is that out of high school, he was a ZERO star according to Rivals. Now, after a redshirt year and one season alongside Big Baby, this guy is a potential NBA All Star.
corndog23 Wrote:Alright Alfus....

I really think Tyrus Thomas has gone from being a relatively unknown player, to a potential top 15 draft pick in the NBA. The coolest thing about this freshman phenom is that out of high school, he was a ZERO star according to Rivals. Now, after a redshirt year and one season alongside Big Baby, this guy is a potential NBA All Star.

Yeah he is amazing..Some of the blocks he has had in the tournament have been unreal...Morrison was a zero star coming out of high school also I do believe...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You are correct, but really i didnt know too much about him til this year and the end of last year. Thomas is just a freak....
corndog23 Wrote:Sorry Yellow, but ol corn is still looking pretty fresh at the age of 19.

Only 19.....and already an expert on UK basketball?? Smile Smile Heh, I've got socks that old.

BTW....there were no personal insults towards any moderator. Telling one to 'grow up' doesn't constitute a personal insult. :thumpsup:
corndog23 Wrote:You are correct, but really i didnt know too much about him til this year and the end of last year. Thomas is just a freak....

Yeah he's a lot of fun to watch...He'll be a force in the NBA one of these days...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maybe next year to be quite honest. Like the article says, much like Amare Stoudamire. He had a big rookie campaign in the pros.
Yellow Snow Wrote:Only 19.....and already an expert on UK basketball?? Smile Smile Heh, I've got socks that old.

BTW....there were no personal insults towards any moderator. Telling one to 'grow up' doesn't constitute a personal insult. :thumpsup:

No, but saying other things such as you did is a personal insult..Back on topic now...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
corndog23 Wrote:Maybe next year to be quite honest. Like the article says, much like Amare Stoudamire. He had a big rookie campaign in the pros.

Yeah that's true man...Thomas is a like like Stoudamire also...I hate to say it but Noah could be a pretty good player in the NBA too, but I don't think it would be an immediate impact...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tyrus Thomas (LSU)and Noah from (FLorida)
I think the deal with players like morrison and reddick is they just fit into the gameplan of the coaches.. they could do what the coach needed... Thomas on the other hand, has really impressed me.. he stays above the rim. and since he has some size i think he could make a pretty big impact on the nba
I love the way Tyrus Thomas plays he is really impressive and I believe he will be the best nba player out of the ones listed.
Thomas is a great athlete, but I question his scoring ability in the NBA. Everyone can jump in the NBA. I would be interested to see how he does against NBA caliber guys guarding him.
The big guys for Florida and the bigs for LSU are real hot right now ! Plus Rudy Gay's stock is rising, And J.J. Reddick's is falling !
blackcat_student Wrote:The big guys for Florida and the bigs for LSU are real hot right now ! Plus Rudy Gay's stock is rising, And J.J. Reddick's is falling !

I think Gay's stock went down, as did Morrison's and Redick's, those three were the big ones to me, and maybe toss in Ray
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
This draft will be one I look forward too....

If Adam Morrison leaves, I would find it hard for a team to pass him up at #1-3.....
Rondo dropped 4 spots to 19 in the mock drafts the day he declared himself eligible for the draft