Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 6, Braves 3
Reds manager Dusty Baker was saying after Wednesday’s victory that a different Red was playing the role of hero each night.

Thursday’s hero: Devin Mesoraco.

His grand slam turned the game around and sent the Reds to their sixth straight victory, 6-3, over the Atlanta Braves before a crowd of 23,312 at Great American Ball Park.

“It was my turn tonight,” Mesoraco said. “But everyone else has been stepping up as well.”
Quiz: Devin Mesoraco
It was the first career grand slam for Mesoraco. It came the night after fellow rookie Todd Frazier hit his first career walk-off home run.

“I’ve been giving out a lot of lineup cards for guys’ firsts lately,” Baker said. “That’s OK. It’s been a lot of the young guys, which is great. It builds confidence. They feel they belong here.”

The Reds swept the Braves in the four-game series.

“That was a heck of series by us,” Baker said. “I can’t recall ever being on a team that beat the Braves four games in a four-game series. That’s a very difficult thing to do against a good team – against anybody.”

It was the Reds’ first sweep of the Braves in a four-game series in Cincinnati since April 9-13, 1980.

If ever a game turned with one swift swing of the bat, it was this one. The Reds, despite the recent tear, have not been very good with runners in scoring position. In fact, they were 1-for-7 on the night and 6-for-43 over the last six games when Mesoraco came up in the sixth with the bases loaded and one out. They needed a big hit. He delivered – big time, as Baker likes to say. It was the Reds’ 10th home run in the series.

Starter Homer Bailey (3-3) went six innings and allowed two runs on four hits. He walked one and struck out six. It was his fourth straight quality start and seventh in eight outings.

The rotation has produced six quality starts in the winning streak and combined for a 2.45 ERA.

“I think it’s very much expected out of us,” Bailey said. “We demand out of ourselves more than anybody. It’s something we push each other to do.”

The Reds broke through in the fourth. Chris Heisey singled with one out. Todd Frazier followed with a shot into the left field corner. Heisey easily scored to make it 1-0.

Bailey gave up a two-out single to pitcher Randall Delgado in the fifth. Michael Bourn then lined one into the right field seats to make it 2-1. It was Bourn’s third home run of the series. He had one on the year coming into the series. He hit two all of last season.

“The pitch to Bourn I wasn’t really happy with,” Mesoraco said. “He’s been hot and hitting those fastballs well. Not a great call on my part or on Homer’s part to go with that pitch.

“Other than that, he threw the ball great. I think what’s coming along for him is he’s throwing everything for strikes – his slider, his curveball. His split is a good chase pitch. He’s always had the fastball. He can put it where he wants. . . It’s fun to watch Homer progress and get better as the year’s going. The thing for me is there’s still some room where he can get better.”

Brandon Phillips led off the sixth for the Reds with a walk. He moved to second on a wild pitch. After Jay Bruce lined out to first, Heisey singled. Frazier walked to load the bases. That ended Delgado’s night.

The Braves brought on right-hander Kris Medlen to face Mesoraco. Mesoraco crushed a 2-2 pitch on a high arc to left. The only question was fair or foul.

“That’s why I paused at home plate,” Mesoraco said. “I wasn’t sure it would stay fair. It stayed true. It really didn’t hook at all.”

Former Red Juan Francisco cut the lead to 5-3 with a home run in the seventh, his fifth of year, off Sam LeCure.

But Drew Stubbs answered in the bottom of the seventh with his sixth home run.

Former closer Sean Marshall pitched the eighth. With new closer Aroldis Chapman unavailable, Logan Ondrusek pitched the ninth for the save. The game ended on Francisco’s double-play ball.

“That was a huge double play,” Baker said. “They had some danger dudes coming up.”http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Sweep!

I think the most awesome thing about it was Votto & Bruce hardly contributed to any of it...and it was more spread out, like every game had a different hero.

If it all meshes, then watch out.
6 in a row!
Reds are playing well.