Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'll Have Another roars past Bodemeister to win Preakness
BALTIMORE — There is a stigma attached to sequels that says they never quite live up to the success of the blockbusters they follow.

As much as the script suggested Saturday's 137th Preakness Stakes would have a story line similar to the Kentucky Derby of two weeks earlier, it is rare the best-laid plans in Thoroughbred racing meet expectations.

However, when one has a superior cast to work with, greatness can materialize. Fourteen days after delivering what was considered a performance of a lifetime in the first leg of the Triple Crown, I'll Have Another laid his heart out in the stretch of Pimlico Race Course and now has pulses racing in anticipation of what could be a spectacular conclusion to this three-part series.

The heart-stopping drama that played out at Churchill Downs on May 5 was repeated with emphasis before a record crowd of 121,309 on Saturday. As he did in the Kentucky Derby, I'll Have Another ran down his brilliant rival Bodemeister when it appeared the latter had a classic win in his reach, getting his chestnut frame up in the final strides to take the Preakness by a neck and putting himself on the verge of history heading into the Belmont Stakes on June 9.

It has been 34 years since an epic rivalry resulted in racing crowning its 11th and most recent Triple Crown winner, that being the late, great Affirmed who famously battled Alydar through all three contests.

After putting away Bodemeister in their first two clashes, I'll Have Another becomes the first horse since Big Brown in 2008 to head to the 11/2-mile Belmont Stakes with a chance to sweep all three classics and gain automatic status as one of racing's immortals.

"To be going for the Triple Crown ... he goes from being a really, really good horse to maybe a great horse," said Dennis O'Neill, who is the assistant and brother to winning trainer Doug O'Neill and the man who picked out I'll Have Another at public auction. "The way he ran today, it's just unbelievable. Bodemeister ran a terrific race and I just didn't think we could run him down.

"It's funny, I was coming over with the (horse) shoer and the shoer said if they get into a dogfight, there is no way they will beat (I'll Have Another). He was right, he was totally right. It's surreal."

Despite winning the Grade I Santa Anita Derby in April, I'll Have Another was dismissed at odds of 15-1 in the Kentucky Derby as Bodemeister got all the hype off his 91/2-length triumph in the Grade I Arkansas Derby.

Even after running down his foe in the Churchill Downs stretch, the son of Flower Alley was still sent off as the 3-1 second choice behind favored Bodemeister for the 13⁄16-mile journey in the Preakness.

"I think there was a common feeling from what I read that the horse won the Derby because he got the perfect trip," said J. Paul Reddam, owner of I'll Have Another. "He showed today he's the real deal. The horse has done everything asked of him and he hasn't had the respect."

Even the most dedicated doubters will have issues finding fault with the delivery of I'll Have Another's latest masterpiece.

A confirmed front-runner, Bodemeister was pushed through a half-mile in 45.39 seconds in the Kentucky Derby, a wicked pace that caught up to him at that race's eighth pole. In the Preakness, however, Bodemeister was the primary speed and had his trainer Bob Baffert feeling much more optimistic about his chances as he reeled off an opening quarter in :23.79 and a half in :47.68 under jockey Mike Smith.

"The fractions were more reasonable today so turning for home, I really thought he was going to do it," said Baffert, who had won the Preakness five previous times. "I usually win those. Down the stretch, the crowd got their money's worth."

Doug O'Neill and his upstart jockey, Mario Gutierrez, had discussed being the ones to put the heat on Bodemeister. After breaking from post No. 9 and being pushed wide on the first turn, the unflappable Gutierrez settled I'll Have Another on the outside path in fourth as Grade I winner Creative Cause stalked outside of long-shot Pretension.

Creative Cause came to Bodemeister approaching the final turn but, as was the case in the Kentucky Derby, the Baffert-trainee spurted clear to a 3-length advantage in the stretch. By that point, Gutierrez had moved I'll Have Another up on the far outside and was asking for his mount's devastating turn of foot under a strong right-handed whip.

"I knew it was going to be a tough race ... but I'll Have Another had a tremendous kick in the end," said the 25-year-old Gutierrez, who was riding in his first Preakness. "It's a great feeling when you're riding a horse that is giving you a hundred percent."

With Smith unfurling his left-handed whip in midstretch, Bodemeister kept striding out only to get eaten up by his rival's locomotive-like kick in the final jumps as I'll Have Another crossed the wire in 1:55.94 over a fast track.

Creative Cause faded to third, 83/4 lengths behind Bodemeister — who will not go on to the Belmont Stakes, according to Baffert.

"The bus stops here," the Hall of Famer said.

As a Preakness neophyte, Doug O'Neill had to be directed to his spot on the winner's podium during the ebullient chaos that followed the result.

"It's what it's all about," the charismatic trainer beamed. "I'm just numb. I think we've got a horse and a team that can, with a little bit of luck, have an unbelievable time in three weeks."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/05/19/21939...rylink=cpy
Payouts

9 I'll Have Another $8.40 $3.80 $2.80

7 Bodemeister $3.20 $2.80

6 Creative Cause $3.60

Rest of the field in order of finish: Zetterholm, Teeth of the Dog, Optimizer, Cozzetti, Tiger Walk, Daddy Nose Best, Went the Day Well and Pretension

Two down, one to go

Horses that have won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness (x-won triple crown):

2012 — I'll Have Another

2008 — Big Brown

2004 — Smarty Jones

2003 — Funny Cide

2002 — War Emblem

1999 — Charismatic

1998 — Real Quiet

1997 — Silver Charm

1989 — Sunday Silence

1987 — Alysheba

1981 — Pleasant Colony

1979 — Spectacular Bid

1978 — x-Affirmed

1977 — x-Seattle Slew

1973 — x-Secretariat

1971 — Canonero II

1969 — Majestic Prince

1968 — Forward Pass

1966 — Kauai King

1964 — Northern Dancer

1961 — Carry Back

1958 — Tim Tam

1948 — x-Citation

1946 — x-Assault

1944 — Pensive

1943 — x-Count Fleet

1941 — x-Whirlaway

1937 — x-War Admiral

1936 — Bold Venture

1935 — x-Omaha

1932 — Burgoo King

1930 — x-Gallant Fox

1919 — x-Sir Barton

Never been a Triple Crown winner in my life time. I'm pulling for them on June 9th! Go get IHA!
Also reports have it Bodemeister, the only horse that gave I'll have another a scare during first two legs of the Triple Crown races will be sitting the Belmonts Stakes out.
^
The Belmont is a totally different race though. Mile and half might be the demise of IHA.
It would be good for the sport to have another triple crown winner. Its been to long.
^

I agree. It'll be the first Triple Crown during my lifetime if I'll have another can pull it off, the last being (Affirmed) in 1978. There is going be some good horses in this race that sit out the Preakness they'll be rested up (Dullahan and Union Rags) so IHA may not win the Belmont Stakes but distance wont be the problem IMO.
^
You may be right.
IHA seems to come on strong late and he might pull away late.
Sad news this morning, confirmed on the Dan Patrick show. IHA is scratched from tomorrows Belmont Stakes and will not race. It sucks because I want to see a TC winner but I really thought this horse was special and had a great chance to win tomorrow with the weak field.