Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central Track Team:Winning with no field!
I just wanted to say a big congrats to Letcher Central's Boys and Girls Track Team for winning region and going down there to compete in the state tournament. Sally Hubbard and Faye Collier as well as the rest of the coaching staff have done a wonderful job. They have built the program to be top notch, and last year giving us our first state champion in Dakota Cornett in the shot put. The reason I say this is they are doing this without a track field. Kinda hard to get someone to high jump, pole vault or evete triple jump without equipment and a field. Does anyone know of a track team who is competitive team at the state level that does not have a field? Hopefully soon after the softball field is built (title 9), we could get it done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Sally and Faye do an incredible job at LCCHS. As the parent of a runner within their region, I've seen firsthand how good their program is, and how much it means to their kids to represent their school. I have nothing but respect for Letcher and their coaches.

Sadly, their situation is similar across SEKY. Harlan Co has been without a track since the school opened and practices on a parking lot. They've had a state champion in the long jump in 2009 and have advanced several to the state meet each year. Before consolidation, Evarts was a power in Track and Cross country, having state runner up finishes in individual events several times, and was a constant top ten finisher in boy's cross country in the early/mid 90's. Harlan Independent has a delapitated track, without any updates/work done to it since the mid 50's (it's still measured in yards, is asphalt, and only has 6 lanes) and has produced several state champions in track, and finished high at the state meet in CC in the 80's. Cordia High produced back to back state championship Cross Country teams in the 80's and lost another team title due to a disqualification on one of the silliest rules when the top two finishers overall (both from Cordia) raised their hands (while holding hands) when crossing the line.

What all those schools mentioned have in common with Letcher, is strong coaching, and the attitude to "accept no excuses" to not perform at the highest level. It will be very interesting to see the strides made once you guys get your track. Congrats on another great season.