Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track: Bray guides Lloyd
Lloyd senior Tyler Bray tied a 24-year-old state record in the high jump with a winning leap of 6 feet, 10 ¾ inches at Friday’s Class 2A boys’ track and field championships, and came away wanting a little more.

“I could have won the 110 hurdles,” he said. “I clipped the second to last hurdle and fell across the finish line.”

Bray finished second in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.61 seconds at University of Louisville’s Owsley Frazier Cardinal Park. That was a step behind Bullitt East state champion Jacob Duvall (14.55).

Bray placed third in the long jump with a leap of 21 feet, 10 ¾ inches. His 1-2-3 finishes accumulated a total of 24 points and outscored 36 teams.

The Juggernauts, aided by a sixth-place finish in the pole vault by sophomore Dylan Withers, were best among Northern Kentucky squads, finishing seventh in the final standings with 27 points.

Winner Paducah Tilghman (59 points) unseated defending champion and meet runner-up North Oldham (48). Covington Catholic (17) was next among locals in 13th place, followed by 23rd-place Highlands (11) and Holmes (5) in 35th.

Given chances to become the first person in Kentucky high school history to clear 7 feet in the high jump, Bray missed three times, with a near-miss on his second attempt.

“I got the bar on the way down with my heel,” he said. “It feels great to tie it. They said it’s one of the longest records in the state.”

Highlands’ Tom Noe cleared 6-10 ¾ in 1988 to establish the Class 2A mark (the Class 3A and state record is 6-11 ½ ).

The high jump is the fourth-oldest Class 2A mark on the books. The oldest standards are the 110 hurdles (1964), 3,200 meters (1983) and 400 meters (1985).

Local top-five placers Friday included CovCath’s Alex Flynn with a runner-up finish in the 800 meters, Highlands’ Trevor Kraft fifth in the shot put and CovCath’s Ben Metzger fifth in the discus. CovCath’s 400 relay team finished sixth. The Colonels’ Brian Menke was seventh in the open 3,200.

The Bluebirds had three sixth-place finishes, two by John Michael Griffith (open 1,600 and 3,200 meters) and one by fellow sophomore Ryan Greene (400 meters).

Holmes’ Jajuan Keith placed sixth in the triple jump and Bulldogs teammate Mikekale Scruggs was seventh in the shot put.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...305180170/