Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male track and field teams are better than rest at regional
Male’s boys’ track and field team was fairly quiet during the regular season, but the Bulldogs made some big noise in winning the Class 3-A, Region Three meet Saturday at Male.

Winning 10 of the 18 events, Male — the 3-A champion the past five years — looked like a strong contender again, piling up 179 points to 148 for runner-up St. Xavier. Manual outpointed Butler 73-54 for third place, although the Bears won four events by utilizing the talents of Tretez Kinnaird and Patrick Gregory.

“We had a good day,” said Male assistant coach Mark Miller, speaking for head coach Damon Smith who left quickly to attend his wife’s graduation. “Our kids did what they were supposed to do. We had some seniors out of town and we weren’t all together for the invitational meets. ”

The first two finishers in each regional event, plus those who met the State Meet qualifying standard, will compete in the State 3-A Meet next weekend at the University of Louisville’s Cardinal Park.

Male also won the girls’ regional crown, beating Manual 181-170. Manual won nine events compared with six for Male, but the Lady Bulldogs’ depth prevailed. Sophomore Dominique Edmonds won the 100 hurdles, 200 meters and ran on the winning 800 and 400 relay teams.

“She (Edmonds) works hard and she listens,” Male coach Sheree Beaumont said. “We keep talking about motivation, confidence, hard work and having a good mind-set.”

Boys
Torian Vaughn led Male by winning the 200 in 22.04 seconds and the 400 in 49.34 and running on the victorious 800 and 1,600 relay teams. Lorentez Barbour won the triple jump and placed second in the long jump and high jump.

Vaughn, a junior who has the state’s second-fastest time of 48.68 in the 400, said afterwards “I feel I can go faster.”

Male’s Jordan Fields won the 110 high hurdles over teammate Walter Moffitt. Later, Moffitt barely held off Manual’s Joe Johnson to win the 300 hurdles.

“I felt him breathing,” said Moffitt, whose goal is for Male to capture a sixth straight state title. “You don’t want to let the veterans who ran before you down.”http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
I have been wondering for the past two years why Male has a big H on the front of their uniforms? Louisville Male High School, were does the H come from?
sstack Wrote:I have been wondering for the past two years why Male has a big H on the front of their uniforms? Louisville Male High School, were does the H come from?

Long ago it was know as "The High School" since it was the only public school around. The H represents "The High School".
blue1424 Wrote:Long ago it was know as "The High School" since it was the only public school around. The H represents "The High School".

Thanks for the info, although it seems silly to me.
sstack Wrote:Thanks for the info, although it seems silly to me.

I agree, I don't know why they just don't wear an "M".