Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nationals 7 - Reds 3
CINCINNATI - The 37,255 spectators at Great American Ball Park can tell the neighbors they saw Bryce Harper’s first appearance in Cincinnati, but they may skip the part about Mike Leake’s outing.

Harper, the highly publicized Washington rookie, went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts as the Nationals beat Leake and the Reds 7-3 on Friday night.

• Nats' Harper injures himself after going 0-for-5
• Box score
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

According to Washington reporters, Harper also suffered a cut above his left eye late in the game when, after making an out, he smacked a bat off a wall and the bat came back and hit him. Blood was visible on Harper’s face late in the game. The Washington Post said Harper needed 10 stitches but still wants to play Saturday: “I’m fine.”

The 19-year-old Harper helped attract the big crowd, but the Reds also hoped their recent play – an NL best 12-6 record since April 19 – was a factor. Regardless, Leake did nothing to make it a feel-good Friday for Reds fans.

Leake (0-5) lasted only three innings, the shortest start of his three-year career. Leake allowed six runs and seven hits, and his ERA soared from 5.97 to 7.11 for the year.

“We’re all concerned,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “We’ve been concerned. As far as we know, he’s healthy.”

Leake led the Reds in wins (12) last year but this season has been a disaster. Leake does not throw particularly hard and relies on pitch location, but lately he has been getting behind hitters. In turn, batters have capitalized on hitter’s counts.

“I’m just not getting the job done,” Leake said. “I’m missing spots, I’m not hitting spots. I’ve just got to figure it out. It’s probably in the head somewhere.”

Leake allowed homers to Roger Bernadina and Danny Espinosa, who both entered the game with batting averages below .200. Bernadina, who had four RBI all year, drove in three in the first two innings. By the third inning the Reds were down 6-0.

“It seemed like he wasn’t getting ahead of anybody,” Baker said of Leake. “You’re pitching from behind, you’re asking for trouble. Yeah, we’re concerned big-time. We’re thinking and doing what we can do at this point in time. The rest is up to the player, and players.

“Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.”

Leake said his health is fine.

“I’m making it easier on hitters right now,” Leake said. “I’m not making it tough. I’m not getting them uncomfortable. I’m putting it in the hitters’ hands instead of mine.”

It was too much to overcome against Washington, which entered Friday with a major league-leading 2.64 ERA.

Nationals starter Gio Gonzalez (4-1) lasted five innings and allowed two runs, and was pulled after throwing a hefty 115 pitches. Gonzalez walked four and struck out nine, including six consecutive strikeouts at one juncture.

Jay Bruce hit a sacrifice fly to cut the Reds’ deficit to 7-1 in the fourth inning.

An RBI single by Zack Cozart brought the Reds within 7-2 in the fifth inning. The Reds then loaded the bases with one out, but Bruce struck out and Rolen fouled out to end the threat.

Ryan Ludwick hit an RBI single to bring the Reds within 7-3 in the eighth inning. The Reds again then loaded the bases with one out, but pinch-hitter Chris Heisey popped out and Cozart struck out to end the inning.

“We still had some chances and action on coming back a whole bunch of times,” Baker said. “We just didn’t get it done. We certainly have got to come through in those situations better.”

As for Harper, the former No. 1 overall draftee (2010 season) struck out three times and then hurt himself in frustration. Late in the game, blood was seen on Harper’s face after he suffered a cut over his left eye.

The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore tweeted that Harper had a golf-ball sized lump over his left eye and clumps of blood in his hair.

Harper was called up April 28 and was hitting an even .300 through Tuesday. Since then, Harper is 1-for-13 and his average is down to .233.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Yeah, somehow I think the Reds are ready to pull the plug on Mike Leake for the time being.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Francis get the call from Triple A.