Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Bengals draft class
Round 1/17 - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, 6-2, 186, Alabama
The Bengals needed to grab a young, shutdown corner in the first round and they ended up getting the last one on the board. He is expected to compete with Nate Clements for the starting spot.

• Photos: Meet three new Bengals
• Photos: Kirkpatrick, Zeitler introduced
• Joe Reedy's Bengals blog
• Follow Joe Reedy on Twitter

Round 1/21 - Kevin Zeitler, OG, 6-3, 322, Wisconsin
They originally had the 21st pick but traded down with New England and also got a third-rounder. He is expected to be the starter at right guard when the season opens.

Round 2/53 - Devon Still, DT, 6-5, 307, Penn State
A little bit of a surprise that they addressed the defensive line early but he is the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year. He gives the Bengals another solid pass rusher up the middle.

Round 3/83 - Mohamed Sanu, WR, 6-1, 211, Rutgers
A big need during the offseason has been to find a wide receiver to line up opposite A.J. Green. Sanu is a physical receiver who had 115 receptions last season, which was a Big East single-season record.

Round 3/93 - Brandon Thompson, DT, 6-2, 314, Clemson
For the second time in three picks they took a defensive tackle to vie for playing time and a roster spot. He did 36 bench press reps at the combine so it is also another big, strong presence to stop the run.

Round 4/116 - Orson Charles, TE, 6-3, 251, Georgia
Tight end was thought to be the least of the Bengals needs going into the draft but they added competition to the group with a physical blocker who also is good as a receiver. Jermaine Gresham is the starter but Charles will be in the mix with Donald Lee and Colin Cochart.

Round 5/156 - Shaun Prater, CB, 5-10, 190, Iowa
The group has a lot of veterans along with Kirkpatrick but Prater’s biggest impact this year could come on special teams, where he was a gunner in punt coverage.

Round 5/166 - Marvin Jones, WR, 6-2, 199, California
Pretty good size and speed, he will also be in the mix for the competition to see who starts opposite Green.

Round 5/167 - George Iloka, S, 6-4, 225, Boise State
Has the size and speed to match up with tight ends. There is plenty of competition for playing time with the only absolute being Reggie Nelson as one of the starters.

Round 6/191 - Dan "Boom" Herron, RB, 5-10, 213, Ohio State
Doesn’t have great speed but his strength is running between the tackles. He is another guy though whose route to the roster depends on special teams contributions.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...raft-class
Dre Kirkpatrick joined fellow Bengals first-round draft pick Kevin Zeitler for a TV interview Friday on the field at Paul Brown Stadium.

The afternoon sun shone down on them. Shaded in a nearby end zone tunnel, the Rev. Charles Kirkpatrick watched his son and reminisced.

“It’s really a longtime dream of his,” he said. “He’s wanted to play football all of his life. When he was in the seventh grade, he told me, ‘I know what I want to do one day. I want to play pro football.’ So, it’s a dream come true.”

• Videos: Dre Kirkpatrick | Kevin Zeitler

The Bengals selected Dre Kirkpatrick with the 17th overall pick, and the All-America cornerback out of Alabama said Friday that he’s eager to get to work and learn from the team’s veteran corners.

“I’m not trying to come here and step on anybody’s toes,” Kirkpatrick said. “I want the veterans to teach me everything that I know. If the coaches feel that I’m mature enough and I know the right things, maybe I’ll touch the field.”

The Bengals think Kirkpatrick and Zeitler, the Wisconsin offensive guard selected with the 27th overall pick, are capable of contributing right away.

“It’s two great positions for us to really have solidified as we go forward into the future, and two guys that can come in right away and become rookie starters,” head coach Marvin Lewis said. “I know the guy to my left (Kirkpatrick), that’s all he’s talking about. And so is this guy (Zeitler). They didn’t come here to stand by me. So they’re going to compete very hard, work very hard to be starters.”

The Bengals see Zeitler competing for playing time at right guard and possibly backing up Kyle Cook at center.

“I’m just honored that they decided to pick me and took a chance on me,” Zeitler said. “I’m going to do everything I can to show them that they did make the right decision.”

Zeitler did not allow a sack during his career at Wisconsin. And with a Wonderlic score of 40, he has the brains to match his 6-foot-4, 314-pound brawn.

“From a mental standpoint and from a technique standpoint, it will be an easy transition for him,” Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. “From the competition standpoint, there’s where the transition will come in.”

Kirkpatrick is a physical cornerback who impressed the Bengals with his understanding of Alabama’s complex defensive system. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said the system Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban has in place is more complicated than the Bengals’.

“He won’t have any problem with catching onto the system and doing what we do,” Zimmer said.

Kirkpatrick adds youth to a veteran group of corners that includes Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Adam Jones, Jason Allen and Terence Newman. Each is a first-round pick.

Kirkpatrick’s hit-the-ground running mindset befits a player nicknamed “Swagga.”

“You can’t teach it,” Kirkpatrick explained. “It’s just something that you’ve got to have. Some people don’t have it. My dad, he blessed me to have it, and (so did) the good man above.”
In the second round the Bengals took Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still, who was the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year last season. Still, who tied for fifth in the conference with 17 tackles for loss, recorded a career-high 55 tackles and was second on the team with 4.5 sacks.

• PFT: Still could be a steal for Bengals
• Photos: Kirkpatrick, Zeitler introduced in Cincinnati

“He’s another young guy with an opportunity to come in here and solidify our front,” head coach Marvin Lewis said. “He’s had games where he’s basically just taken over the football game. Now the challenge is obviously can he do it at this level.”

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What grade do you give the Bengals' selection of Devon Still?

A
B
C
D
F

View Results
Vovici Online Survey Software
Still was as dominant as any defensive player in the nation last year but some wonder if he can do it for more than one year. After being granted a medical redshirt as a true freshman due to a torn ACL in his left knee, Still played in only two games the next year after breaking his left ankle in preseason camp.

When asked if it was a fair assessment that some people thought his talent didn’t show until your senior year, Still didn’t disagree with it.

“It’s fair, because everyone has their own opinion,” Still said. “After my sophomore year, I improved each year. I wouldn’t say I didn’t use my talent until my senior year — it’s more that I didn’t have the opportunity to learn the college game as other players did.”

At Penn State, Still averaged 65 plays a game. He might see a third of that with the Bengals and their defensive line rotation. The scouts’ assessment of Still is that he maintains a low pad level and is quick of his stance which allows him to get by defenders in one-on-one matchups.

“I would say he’s a good pass rusher for a defensive tackle,” defensive line coach Jay Hayes said. “He has athletic ability, quickness and can slip blocks. He has a lot of upside to him. That’s what you’re betting on with him.”

Still is the third member of his family to play in the NFL. His cousins, Art Still and Levon Kirkland, earned All-Pro honors during their careers. Lewis coached Kirkland when he was an assistant with the Steelers.

Growing up as a Steelers fan, Still already had a base of knowledge about the Bengals defense he was joining.

“Every time I saw them their defense caused the other team problems,” Still said. “Just to be a man on the defense and rotation hopefully I can give them what they need to get them to the Super Bowl.”
Mohamed Sanu became a member of the Bengals for real on Friday.

• Photos: Kirkpatrick, Zeitler introduced in Cincinnati
• NFL Draft Day 2 picks of interest

One night after being the victim of a prank call, the Rutgers wide receiver was selected by Cincinnati in the third round with the 83rd overall pick, or 56 picks later than what Sanu thought.

“Thank God,” when asked about his feelings about really joining the Bengals. “I got a voice mail with a 513 area code and then Coach Urban called me and I had the number in his phone and he asked me ‘Are you ready to be a Bengal for real this time?’ and I said of course, I’m ready to go.”

On Thursday night, before the Bengals went on the clock with the 27th pick, a caller identified himself as a member of the Bengals staff and told Sanu that he was their choice. Celebration later turned to stunned silence when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the pick was Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What grade do you give the Bengals' third-round selections (Mohamed Sanu, Brandon Thompson)?

A
B
C
D
F

View Results
Vovici Online Survey Software
The prank call though came from a New Jersey area code and not Cincinnati. Sanu’s agent, Mike McCartney, called the number on Friday and said that a Rutgers student had made the call and apologized. Head coach Marvin Lewis also tried to contact him earlier in the day.

. “We reached out to him today to just kind of apologize and we’re sorry for whoever played the prank on you,” Lewis said. “We felt like his play warranted that he’d be a guy we’d be considering at some point today. I’m glad it worked out that way. So it was a fun phone call to call him.”

Sanu did acknowledge that the past 24 hours was an experience that he didn’t wish upon anyone but “I’m just glad it’s over and dreams came true this time.”

This past season, Sanu set school and Big East single-season records with 115 receptions. He had seven 100-yard games (1,026 yards total) and seven touchdowns. Now he has the chance to vie for a starting spot opposite A.J. Green.

Sanu can play all the spots at receiver and has very good hands. He also is a physical receiver who has good power in breaking arm tackles and can enough leg drive to carry opponents forward after the catch. He also is not afraid to run over tacklers in the open field.

“I really feel like he can come in here and really add to our abilities on the outside, both as an outside receiver and as an inside receiver,” Lewis said. “He’s been very productive at Rutgers. Came there as an incredible athlete. Great work ethic. Really has been a productive player there for them.”

Said Sanu of his playing style: “I attack the ball, run very good routes, am quick and sudden and have the natural ability to find the ball when it comes my way.”

The other two picks from Friday were defensive tackles. In the second round, they selected Penn State’s Devon Still with the 53rd overall pick and Clemson’s Brandon Thompson in the third with the 93rd overall selection. That means three of their five selections through the first two days were on defense.

It also makes a defensive line that prided itself on a strong rotation even deeper.

“The wave effect has served us well and keeps our guys fresh and really helps us to break the will of people,” defensive line coach Jay Hayes said. “Hopefully getting in the two guys we got in today will add to that.”

Still, who was the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year last season, tied for fifth in the conference with 17 tackles for loss, recorded a career-high 55 tackles and was second on the team with 4.5 sacks. He was as dominant as any defensive player in the nation last year but some wonder if he can do it for more than one year. After being granted a medical redshirt as a true freshman due to a torn ACL in his left knee, Still played in only two games the next year after breaking his left ankle in preseason camp.

When asked if it was a fair assessment that some people thought his talent didn’t show until your senior year, Still didn’t disagree with it.

“It’s fair, because everyone has their own opinion,” Still said. “After my sophomore year, I improved each year. I wouldn’t say I didn’t use my talent until my senior year — it’s more that I didn’t have the opportunity to learn the college game as other players did.”

At Penn State, Still averaged 65 plays a game. He might see a third of that with the Bengals and their defensive line rotation. The scouts’ assessment of Still is that he maintains a low pad level and is quick of his stance which allows him to get by defenders in one-on-one matchups.

Still is the third member of his family to play in the NFL. His cousins, Art Still and Levon Kirkland, earned All-Pro honors during their careers. Lewis coached Kirkland when he was an assistant with the Steelers.

Growing up as a Steelers fan, Still already had a base of knowledge about the Bengals defense he was joining.

“Every time I saw them their defense caused the other team problems,” Still said. “Just to be a man on the defense and rotation hopefully I can give them what they need to get them to the Super Bowl.”

Thompson, who this past season set career-highs for tackles (74) along with eight tackles for loss, 2.5 quarterback sacks and 18 quarterback hurries. He was considered to be a little underrated in this year’s deep class of defensive tackles but is another who has great quickness in rushing the quarterback.

“When you’re talking about Brandon Thompson, you’re talking about a guy that did 36 benches at the combine. I mean, this is a strong, strong guy,” Hayes said. “Has a good understanding of playing the run game and can push a pocket. He’ll add to the room and he is the type of guy that is very bright and will be able to catch on to what we’re doing.”
For the third straight year the Bengals have taken someone from Georgia in the fourth round. Two years ago it was DT Geno Atkins, last year OG Clint Boling and now it is TE Orson Charles.

The Bengals now have six former Bulldogs on the roster, joining WR A.J. Green, Boling, Atkins, DE Robert Geathers and OT Dennis Roland.

Last season Charles started all 14 games, ranking third on the Bulldogs with a career-high 45 receptions for 574 yards and five touchdowns. He was a finalist for the John Mackey Award. For his career he started 29 games in three seasons and caught 94 passes for 1,370 yards (14.57 yards per catch) and 10 touchdowns. He also blocked a punt against Vanderbilt.

There was one red flag during the draft process though. Charles was charged with a DUI on March 9 and the matter is still pending. Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes did acknowledge that there was a discussion about that in the draft room but that there were no other red flags until that.

“I had got a couple calls here and there as far as what happened,” Charles said. “I just elaborated to them that it was a one-time mistake and that it won’t happen again. That might have been the worst thing to happen in my life. Just to explain to my (11-year old) brother what I did and don’t follow in my footsteps and tell my mom I was sorry. I just put my family in a bind.”

Charles joins what is a pretty stocked position and one that was thought not to be much of a need. Besides Jermaine Gresham, the Bengals re-signed Donald Lee and also have Colin Cochart.

Said Hayes: “Not only does he pop out as a receiver, but he locks on people blocking. This guy, he’s over the top on effort.”