Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Diaz sues Nevada Athletic Commission
http://mmajunkie.com/news/28443/nick-dia...ension.mma

Honestly....The guy has a legit case.
NothingTrivial Wrote:http://mmajunkie.com/news/28443/nick-dia...ension.mma

Honestly....The guy has a legit case.

I am a little confused.....is or is not marijuna a banned substance for the UFC? I realize the case has been made that it does not offer any performance inhancements so I wasn't sure if it was on the banned substance list.

With that being said, if it is a banned substance then I do not think he has a case. He claims it is for "medical purposes" but then he has not provided his prescription card and what would he need medical marijuana for anyway?
The UFC isnt in charge of what is banned and not, the Nevada State Athletic commission does. Nick's card is in California, and you can legitimately get the card there for just about anything according to the state bylaws on it...for him its for ADD and ADHD which falls under the law in both the state he has it and Nevada. The problem is, he didnt fail the test because he had THC in his system....he failed the test because he had THC metabolites, which is evidence that there was THC in his system in the past. The state athletic commission's bylaws are very vague on what is and isn't legal. If it just came down to that Diaz would probably lose the lawsuit for sure. The problem is the athletic commission has a bylaw that states they must having a ruling within 45 days of the failed test, which would have fallen on April 6th....and in their bylaws it states that the temporary suspension they put Diaz under should only be used when "the public health, safety or welfare imperatively require emergency action." such as contagious diseases. Honestly, the athletic commission is gonna pissed, but Diaz and his lawyers have found a loophole to get his suspension thrown out.
NothingTrivial Wrote:The UFC isnt in charge of what is banned and not, the Nevada State Athletic commission does. Nick's card is in California, and you can legitimately get the card there for just about anything according to the state bylaws on it...for him its for ADD and ADHD which falls under the law in both the state he has it and Nevada. The problem is, he didnt fail the test because he had THC in his system....he failed the test because he had THC metabolites, which is evidence that there was THC in his system in the past. The state athletic commission's bylaws are very vague on what is and isn't legal. If it just came down to that Diaz would probably lose the lawsuit for sure. The problem is the athletic commission has a bylaw that states they must having a ruling within 45 days of the failed test, which would have fallen on April 6th....and in their bylaws it states that the temporary suspension they put Diaz under should only be used when "the public health, safety or welfare imperatively require emergency action." such as contagious diseases. Honestly, the athletic commission is gonna pissed, but Diaz and his lawyers have found a loophole to get his suspension thrown out.

I see more clearly now...