Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed
WideRight05 Wrote:I could not agree more on this. As somebody that is a recent college grad, a lot of the foreign students took advantage of the services provided by the university to help them secure a good job while sadly a lot of the American students partied their way out of any hope of a good job. Colleges have SO many resources - organizations, career services, campus recruiting events, that students have the opportunity to take advantage of. From my experience, if a student is willing to bust their butt and take advantage of these resources, they will be walking out of college with a job. But few students choose to do that. I had the opportunity to lead an honors organization in college. Notice that it is an honors organization, so you would expect to see the best students and workers. Sadly, that was not the case, as a good majority of the group was looking for more of a free ride than anything. When the idea of doing something for community service, professional development, etc. was brought up most of the students either backed out or gave a very poor effort at what they were donig.

This is very interesting: do you think that the work does not equal to immediate gradification? As an employer, this is what happens alot, I could offer a job for 40K a year for three years and then up it to the national average of 60K. Most kids think that they deserve the 60K now.
tvtimeout Wrote:This is very interesting: do you think that the work does not equal to immediate gradification? As an employer, this is what happens alot, I could offer a job for 40K a year for three years and then up it to the national average of 60K. Most kids think that they deserve the 60K now.

A lot of students think they can come through, give a halfass effort through their classes, get the important piece of paper, and magically wind up with a $60,000 job. It is much, much more than that. Students need to start finding experience in their field of work, developing their networks, and showing that they are involved. I think of the employers like college basketball coaches. Usually they are looking to develop a bond with their recruits throughout their high school career and then having them become a part of their basketball program. I think of employers in the same way. They are on campus looking to develop relationships with students to try to find the best people they can. The people in my organization that were real involved usually met somebody from one of the businesses and bonded with them throughout the rest of college. Then they accepted an offer to work from that company.

Most students do not realize that when you get out of school, just like with everything else, you always start at the bottom. Again, I compare it to college basketball coaches. A lot of the great coaches did not start where they currently are. They started as a graduate assistant with a team, worked their way up to assistant, became the top assistant at a university, a head coach at a small university, and then maybe another stop before they finally landed at that Kentucky or UNC caliber school. It takes a lot of hard, hard work to achieve that top level and it does not come magically. In the field I graduated in, some of the students I went to school with are complaining because of lower salaries. That's how 90% of people start! You look at that CEO or CFO, they did not start in that position. They started out small and worked up. Unfortunately, only the international students seem to realize that.
How many of those graduates earned a degree then went on to grad school(not employed), how many earned a degree and realized that it's not an employable degree- do we really need philosophy majors? art history majors?
Another stat that's meaningless unless you really break it down.
WideRight05 Wrote:A lot of students think they can come through, give a halfass effort through their classes, get the important piece of paper, and magically wind up with a $60,000 job. It is much, much more than that. Students need to start finding experience in their field of work, developing their networks, and showing that they are involved. I think of the employers like college basketball coaches. Usually they are looking to develop a bond with their recruits throughout their high school career and then having them become a part of their basketball program. I think of employers in the same way. They are on campus looking to develop relationships with students to try to find the best people they can. The people in my organization that were real involved usually met somebody from one of the businesses and bonded with them throughout the rest of college. Then they accepted an offer to work from that company.

Most students do not realize that when you get out of school, just like with everything else, you always start at the bottom. Again, I compare it to college basketball coaches. A lot of the great coaches did not start where they currently are. They started as a graduate assistant with a team, worked their way up to assistant, became the top assistant at a university, a head coach at a small university, and then maybe another stop before they finally landed at that Kentucky or UNC caliber school. It takes a lot of hard, hard work to achieve that top level and it does not come magically. In the field I graduated in, some of the students I went to school with are complaining because of lower salaries. That's how 90% of people start! You look at that CEO or CFO, they did not start in that position. They started out small and worked up. Unfortunately, only the international students seem to realize that.

Fully agree! For example, a guy who works with my wife as an engineer just graduated with his degree. He thought because of his degree he would come into an office, company car, etc... However, due to his lack of "experience" he is working in the field along side construction workers.

Usually it is your college degree that gets you in the door but you need experience if you really want to advance. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort then you will find that your college education was for nothing.
nky Wrote:How many of those graduates earned a degree then went on to grad school(not employed), how many earned a degree and realized that it's not an employable degree- do we really need philosophy majors? art history majors?
Another stat that's meaningless unless you really break it down.

How many graduated college only to find that they could not get a job and pay the student loans? So they continued their education hoping that when they got out of grad school the employment environment would be better.

Tough to payoff school loans when you cannot get a job. As soon as you graduate , that school loan bill is first in the mail wthl a big "Congrats Graduate" on it.
vector Wrote:IMO, most are unemployeed or work in undersirable jobs because older workers who may normally have retired by now are still in jobs that would normally be available for graduates......anymore people are working into their 60's instead of retiring because they can't afford to not have a job......take my parents for instance, both are in their 60's and still working. Expenses of just living day to day was more than social security or retirement was paying.

because we have elected a bunch of union busters

the king of union busting was ronald reagan he got the

ball rolling for these big companys

when i first started working in the mines everybody had a

pension and medical if they put there time in union or

non union i believe in 1982 when he fired all those air traffic

controllers that was a sign for these companys to do any thing

they wanted to do and it's been down hill every sense

took all there pension come up with this 401k shit so the working

people can give these big company's there money to play now they

want to do away with medicare next is social security if the people

put romney in we had better buckle up

You mention that you work in the mines. I was wondering if you heard of Obama's statement back in 2008 when he said he would place a fee on any company that would build a coal producing plant to where they would not be able to survive because the fees would be so high that they would not be able to stay in buisness.

Who supports a president like that.

This country was built on inventors and people that used the resources provided to them from the land to provide for their families and be progressive towards the future. Obama is taking that away from us. Where are the inventors? Who would want to invent or be progressive about anything. The Government tells you what you can and can not do. Instead of supporting inovation, Obama surpressess it. It better be GREEN or it won't fly. You would think after the collapse(or giving taxes payers money to campaign supporters) of the solar companies that he bailed out would be a red flag. Hard to believe that people could still believe in this guy.

I hope our college students can see thru the bs that is being thrown at them. It is hillarious to me that Obama is traveling the states to every college campus spreading his message. His campaign message that the tax payers are paying for because these trips aren't officially campaign trips but POTUS trips. Even his comrads are questioning the intent of the trips.:dontthink
tradition Wrote:You mention that you work in the mines. I was wondering if you heard of Obama's statement back in 2008 when he said he would place a fee on any company that would build a coal producing plant to where they would not be able to survive because the fees would be so high that they would not be able to stay in buisness.

Who supports a president like that.

This country was built on inventors and people that used the resources provided to them from the land to provide for their families and be progressive towards the future. Obama is taking that away from us. Where are the inventors? Who would want to invent or be progressive about anything. The Government tells you what you can and can not do. Instead of supporting inovation, Obama surpressess it. It better be GREEN or it won't fly. You would think after the collapse(or giving taxes payers money to campaign supporters) of the solar companies that he bailed out would be a red flag. Hard to believe that people could still believe in this guy.

I hope our college students can see thru the bs that is being thrown at them. It is hillarious to me that Obama is traveling the states to every college campus spreading his message. His campaign message that the tax payers are paying for because these trips aren't officially campaign trips but POTUS trips. Even his comrads are questioning the intent of the trips.:dontthink

I've never beeb able to figure that one out. In a nutshell--- the democratic paradox; Democrats represent labor = Democrats represent those who don't/won't work. Polar opposites that should cause them to have their political ambiguities called into question. Especially by those who watch a large portion of their wages being syphoned off every week, while their family members at home are forced to sacrifice so that Dad can help fund the voracious US entitlement engine. Why do the Dems support a president or party like that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tradition Wrote:How many graduated college only to find that they could not get a job and pay the student loans? So they continued their education hoping that when they got out of grad school the employment environment would be better.

Tough to payoff school loans when you cannot get a job. As soon as you graduate , that school loan bill is first in the mail wthl a big "Congrats Graduate" on it.

So true.

Ill be paying 400 dollars a month for atleast 4 more years to pay this crap off :ChairHit:
TheRealThing Wrote:I've never beeb able to figure that one out. In a nutshell--- the democratic paradox; Democrats represent labor = Democrats represent those who don't/won't work. Polar opposites that should cause them to have their political ambiguities called into question. Especially by those who watch a large portion of their wages being syphoned off every week, while their family members at home are forced to sacrifice so that Dad can help fund the voracious US entitlement engine. Why do the Dems support a president or party like that?

I agree!

I ask the same things about coporate welfare and the defense budget as well.