Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are we there yet?
anomie, also spelled anomy , in societies or individuals, a condition of instability resulting from a breakdown of standards and values or from a lack of purpose or ideals.
Just a word I ran across while reading.
the other guy Wrote:anomie, also spelled anomy , in societies or individuals, a condition of instability resulting from a breakdown of standards and values or from a lack of purpose or ideals.
Just a word I ran across while reading.

Yes, I believe we are there. We are a broken people caused by many things which includes greed. Controling of others! Our people have broken spirits. We depend on total government instead of ourselves.If we look at Kentucky we woudl see that the war on proverty has failed and has caused our area greater hardships then first faced in the 50s.

We have sold away our freedom for thoughts of feeling "safe". We are told we need this weapon or that to make us feel better. We are told that we need to give up some basic liberties for the good of all and safety.

This all flies in the face of what most Americans truly believe or once believed: where individuals once mattered, a person had purpose. We look for a "savior" to come back and put what was once wrong right again. We look around and see no one that can fit that mode. We elect people to "bring change" and it is nothing but more of the same. We are then told it is the other party's fault and our attention goes there and divsions are raised. While all of this is going on, our ideas of freedom get lost the idea of individuality is an illusion, which leads us down the path of even greater darkness and confussion. So we get even angrier even against our neighbor.

We are then told to elect another person, this one will bring about "change" but in the end the only thing that changes is our empty pocketbooks and our ideas of what it truely means to be free. Thus causing an instability.

Americans are a great people, because they are indivdualistic, they want to make a change for themselves and families. It is a land of oppertunity, a land where people can worship or not worship how they see fit, a land where people can succeed but also fail, a land where a person's individual rights and ideas are valued. Once we remember who we are, then we can know where we are going.
I have to say that I think we are there too.
We have been there for awhile but now that barely 50% of Americans pay 100% of federal income taxes, we are approaching a point of no return. Nothing shows how low our standards have fallen than the fact that the worst president in American history is still the best candidate that one of our two major parties can muster this year.

Our nation's per capita debt is more than Greece, Ireland, Italy, and Portugal - our current president promises to burden taxpayers, their children, and their grandchildren with trillions of dollars in new debt - and yet his supporters continue to sing his praises. Obama has no shortage of useful idiots in this country.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:We have been there for awhile but now that barely 50% of Americans pay 100% of federal income taxes, we are approaching a point of no return. Nothing shows how low our standards have fallen than the fact that the worst president in American history is still the best candidate that one of our two major parties can muster this year.
Our nation's per capita debt is more than Greece, Ireland, Italy, and Portugal - our current president promises to burden taxpayers, their children, and their grandchildren with trillions of dollars in new debt - and yet his supporters continue to sing his praises. Obama has no shortage of useful idiots in this country.

I know I can not believe that we put Romney as our canadate...but what can you do!

I think that the Federal Tax Income should be repealed and instead a higher sales tax rate on all.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:We have been there for awhile but now that barely 50% of Americans pay 100% of federal income taxes, we are approaching a point of no return. Nothing shows how low our standards have fallen than the fact that the worst president in American history is still the best candidate that one of our two major parties can muster this year.

Please tell me this is a sarcasm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Please tell me this is a sarcasm.
No. Not at all. Obama is the worst president in American history but he is apparently the best candidate that the Democrats could muster. Never before in our history has such a poor excuse for a president managed to win either party's nomination for a second term.

Romney may not be the best Republican presidential nominee ever but he is far from the worst.
I misread that at first, too. Then after I regained consciousness, I re-read it.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No. Not at all. Obama is the worst president in American history but he is apparently the best candidate that the Democrats could muster. Never before in our history has such a poor excuse for a president managed to win either party's nomination for a second term.

Romney may not be the best Republican presidential nominee ever but he is far from the worst.

Sorry, I misread your intent there. Granny's comment was hard to follow Confusednicker:. Romney is way smarter a candidate than the Dems were hoping for. I would bet they wanted Newt instead.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's sad. Go around and ask people why they vote for the candidate they choose...on my college campus in the last election a group of students did a poll and asked people why they voted for the candidate they did. Some of the answers were flat out ridiculous. A lot of people couldn't even mention what position obama was on in some of the issues.
^I would say all but a small percentage of college students haven't fallen far from the 'tree', as far as their political opinions go, and are a reflection of their parents views. The overwhelmingly liberal bent of the college scene academia tends to lead students by the nose for a few years but, at some point many of them will leave the fold, as they truly develope their own opinions of the world around them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Right on. The liberal professors really shove it down your throat in college. Even at a small community college like I attended my first two years to get my associate's degree. Anyone who disagrees with them does not look at things "with an open mind," as they say.
TheRealThing Wrote:Sorry, I misread your intent there. Granny's comment was hard to follow Confusednicker:. Romney is way smarter a candidate than the Dems were hoping for. I would bet they wanted Newt instead.

No, it was not!! I was "explaining" Hoot's comment!!
I originally read that as Hoot saying that Obama was the best candidate anyone could muster.....fainted.....re-read the post......understood!!
:biggrin:

Romney is probably the strongest in the group but I disagree with him on a couple of issues. Guess I'll never fully agree with any one candidate unless I run for President!! THAT would be something! Folks would be in line to assassinate me.

I used to relish the "debates" with college professors. They would act like that I should agree with them just because they are THEM....pointed that out to a few.
Granny Bear Wrote:No, it was not!! I was "explaining" Hoot's comment!!
I originally read that as Hoot saying that Obama was the best candidate anyone could muster.....fainted.....re-read the post......understood!!

Romney is probably the strongest in the group but I disagree with him on a couple of issues. Guess I'll never fully agree with any one candidate unless I run for President!! THAT would be something! Folks would be in line to assassinate me.

I used to relish the "debates" with college professors. They would act like that I should agree with them just because they are THEM....pointed that out to a few.

Come on now Granny. I was applauding your humor.:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Granny Bear Wrote:No, it was not!! I was "explaining" Hoot's comment!!

Totally agree, and like WideRight said, you get accused of being closed minded if you show any signs of wanting to form your own opinions in college. It is a total affront to a prof, if you don't agree with something they are saying. When I was there, the best way to describe their attempts to 'flavor' every subject taught with their social convictions would have been to say, everything was filtered through the secular humanistic view. These days however, I would say everything is filtered through the social justice view. Of course, the concepts of social justice will have the same effect on America as pouring baking soda into a car battery. The vitality, hope and the realization of the American dream will be sapped, as surely as that car battery, lethally dosed with soda. If we don't regain our political footing this fall with a new president, that will be our fate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I couldn't agree more with your last statement.

Sometimes it really frightens me to think about the state of the union, and I can't seem to grasp what it will be like for my grand children. I really feel a little panicked by it all, but I guess it'll work out. I remember my grandmother talking about what a horrible state of affairs (that was her go-to phrase) things were in when I was a teenager.

As far as college profs go, I always was so surprised at how narrow viewed most were. Even the liberally gifted...LOL I mean, to me, a liberal minded person would encourage different points of view, and welcome new perspectives. I NEVER found that to be the case. Conservative profs were like that too, but never seemed so offended by an opposite point of view.
Granny Bear Wrote:I couldn't agree more with your last statement.

Sometimes it really frightens me to think about the state of the union, and I can't seem to grasp what it will be like for my grand children. I really feel a little panicked by it all, but I guess it'll work out. I remember my grandmother talking about what a horrible state of affairs (that was her go-to phrase) things were in when I was a teenager.

As far as college profs go, I always was so surprised at how narrow viewed most were. Even the liberally gifted...LOL I mean, to me, a liberal minded person would encourage different points of view, and welcome new perspectives. I NEVER found that to be the case. Conservative profs were like that too, but never seemed so offended by an opposite point of view.

I'll tell you what I think. The idea of America must be continually debated and defined in the halls of congress and the hearts and minds of the citizens because each successive generation is wide eyed and naive, not to mention the yearly graduating class of those entering life in the American marketplace. Therefore, the only way they can possibly understand the wonder of the United States is if they are educated with the truth. This is why the documents, and historical records of the founding fathers are so central to the health of our republic. This framework of the Constitutional documents and accurate retelling of our history is what keeps us as a nation tethered to reality and true to the republic the founding fathers envisioned and fought for.

Hence, the liberal, is trying to attack the concept of what America is at the grass roots level, by shaping the minds of the young. And where is the best place to do that? The public schools have our kids for around seven hours a day. The time parents and their children engage in conversation, or any semblance of intimacy each day, averages around only 19 minutes. Who would you say would win the war of shaping the minds of these little ones? No wonder they are so much cannon fodder in the hands of the liberal college prof! That is why Obama spends so much time talking to college kids and whooping it up with them. They have been prepared and he knows it. This is also why the liberal works so hard in the US court system to redefine American law with misrepresentations of the law such as the seperation of church and state. Not many have the stomach to debate and strive to keep America free of such cancers but, our survival depends on folks doing just that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My grandmother told me one time that "education" began when you graduated from college. I resented that statement at the time, because I was currently attending college. She died before I graduated. It has only been recently that I came to understand that statement.

So education is a sight more than just book learnin'!!
Granny Bear Wrote:My grandmother told me one time that "education" began when you graduated from college. I resented that statement at the time, because I was currently attending college. She died before I graduated. It has only been recently that I came to understand that statement.

So education is a sight more than just book learnin'!!

Sounds like she was very wise. I went to college but had a liberal arts education because I believed in being as well rounded of a person as I could be. I would learn my job was I was out. I graduated with an undergraduate degree in general studies because of this, went on to get a master in the arts of teaching and a rank 1. Now I am working towards an MBA. Education is what you make of it.

Anyoone that is dumb enough not to form their own opinions...I have no use for them. Some Talk radio plays on these people alot as do some college professors. I got so tired of people not taking personal responsibilites for what they believe is right or wrong. They have to get told by others what is right or wrong. How silly is that!!!
[quote=tvtimeout]Sounds like she was very wise. I went to college but had a liberal arts education because I believed in being as well rounded of a person as I could be. I would learn my job was I was out. I graduated with an undergraduate degree in general studies because of this, went on to get a master in the arts of teaching and a rank 1. Now I am working towards an MBA. Education is what you make of it.

Anyoone that is dumb enough not to form their own opinions...I have no use for them. Some Talk radio plays on these people alot as do some college professors. I got so tired of people not taking personal responsibilites for what they believe is right or wrong. They have to get told by others what is right or wrong. How silly is that!!![/QUOTE]

Very silly, very dangerous and unfortunately very common.....not just in politics either!! Most folks form their opinions from the atmosphere in which they were chilren and young adults....never questioning it. I think it's healthy to question it, if for no other reason to exercise your mind.

Just because a practice or an idea is "tradition" does not make it correct.
Granny Bear Wrote:I couldn't agree more with your last statement.

Heck, half my profs were foreign TA's and I couldn't understand a darn thing they were talking about. Never understood why I had to pay that kind of a tuition for a teachers assistant to teach the class. University of Kentucky Class of '84.Confusedhh:
I had a few of those, but not as many as you.

It appears that the more initials that follow your name, the less time you must spend in the classroom.