Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerlens Noel to Kentucky
Indians20 Wrote:I think you might be going a little tocarried away just to prove RIUTG wrong. I agree that they aren't the best team of all time but they are definitely one of the best and better than some of those teams.

Maybe a little. I would put them in the conversation with those teams but out of that group who are you going to put them ahead of?

Houston was the only one not to win a title but that may have been the most talented team of the group.
Even ESPN only had one team ahead of the 96 team for best team of all time and that was Jordans Carolina championship team, which i dont even agree with.
There has never been a more talented, electrifying, high powered offense and swarming press defense then that 96 UK team.
To believe anyone else is better then them would be a far stretch.
There has never and maybe never will be a better team than th 96 Cats.
Look at those teams listed and tell me which one is a stretch. Maybe the back to back championship Florida teams.
They've not been a better team since the 96 Cats. I would take them over the Florida teams, 99 Duke, and 2012 UK.
But before them, there's a few teams that are better. 90 UNLV, MJ's UNC team and the UCLA teams with Alcindor and Walton. JMO.
FBALL Wrote:Look at those teams listed and tell me which one is a stretch. Maybe the back to back championship Florida teams.

90 UNLV - better. I look at this team the same way i do the 92 Duke team. One hot run playing against sub par competetion and then a hot streak in the tourney. While there style might match the 96 UK teams the most of any team youve mentioned, they still werent as good, deep, or talented as the 96 team. So, No.

Alcindor and Walton UCLA teams - better. As far as dominating the competetion, yes. As far as talent and keeping up with the style the 96 team played with, NO. The team does however come in as the third greatest behind 96 UK and 82 UNC. Considering UCLA dominated the late 60's and early to mid 70's should tell you that parity was a rare thing in those days. They just simply werent fast enough to play with the 96 team.

92 Duke - better. LOL thats all im going to say. I would have loved to seen the white boy tag team of Hurley and Laettner even attempt to beat that 96 team. They struggled with the same team you all made fun of in other post by stating how there banners shouldnt be hanging in Rupp. If it wasnt for that last second shot, this Duke team wouldnt even be a memory and be long forgotten. No chance in hell they beat the 96 team.

82 UNC with Jordan and Worthy. - better. This is the only team so called "experts" from ESPN thought was better than the 96 Cats. And this is the closest one by far, but keep in mind how deep UK was and the matchup problems UK would have presented to Carolina. Close but no cigar. However, this was the second best team ever.

84 Georgetown - better. Why? Patrick Ewing? GTown isnt what it use to be but thats still not saying much. However i will give you this as a close one IMO. There physicality would have matched UK's during those years BUT, they would have never made it past half court.

06-07 Florida - better. NO. Those were two of the biggest down years for powerhouse programs. UF lucked out getting the players they did to gel together but there is no way they were better and quite frankly the worse of all the teams you mentioned.

76 Indiana - better Why? because they went undefeated? Those were two completely different teams and had that 76 IU team been playing in 96 they would have lost a handful of games and came no where near close to UK. Dont forget that the 75 IU team was actually better according to many people. Who beat them you ask? A UK team, so by default, wouldnt you have to list the 75 UK team, even though they didnt win anything?

HOWEVER, if were simply going by records and how bad teams dominated in certain years and such, then there are a lot of GREAT teams you wouldnt even mention that were great teams. It was a nice try, but i still hold firm to my belief that the 96 UK team is the best college basketball team to ever play the game.
That UNLV team was more talented. Georgetown 84 was more than just Ewing. That was a team full of freak athletes. Duke was far more than just Laetner and Hurley. Indiana 75/76 could be coupled together just as UNLV 90/91 could or most of these teams. There were no one and dones.

Again the only stretch is Florida and I had to put them in there. Because they won back to back and I believe 3 or 4 guys off of thaT team are still in the NBA.
^
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

96 Cats, best ever.
90 UNLV, greatest team that I have ever seen play
Stardust Wrote:90 UNLV, greatest team that I have ever seen play

Yep.

Grandmama was a badass.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/upl...ndmama.jpg]

He was and still is my favorite player of all time.

To me, UNLV that year was the best team I have ever seen.