Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley co 2012
Tucker is coming back to play.
Good to hear. Look forward to watchimg Tucker play.
Yogibear Wrote:OK. First off I can tell you they have 8 back on defense- Whitehead, Miracle, Middleton, Caldwell, Caudill, Long, Maggard, Chitwood. I can list first name and position if you want me to. Offensively they lost Brewer, Mcmillian, Smith, Brock and Calton. They have two full time O-line starters back-Whitehead and Cooper. One other kid, Ely, played about 60p percent of the offensive snaps when Whitehead played at the blocking back. Hard to replace the linemen but they have some kids working their tails off to replace them and who are very capable: Will Banks, Justin Hensley, Ryan Dempsey, Isaac Mitchell, Mark Messer, Bo Harris, Sam Meade, Gary Helton, Aaron Mefford--Is that enough? You want heights, weights and grade too? All of those kids have performed well on JV and freshman levels amongst several others on the team. They will be more than capable this year. 3 kids competing for QB- too early to tell. Anthony Jenkins has only lost one game as a freshman, JV starter. Austin Maggard who is trying to play QB after moving from WR. Zack Caldwell, a sophomore to be- big, strong kid. 4 kids competing for McMillian's carries not even counting Middleton who had 1400+ yards of his own last season. (Daniels, Chitwood, Chorak, Massey). And the best blocking TE in Eky returning- Aaron Caldwell.

Defensively- Three kids competing for safety to replace Brewer. Many kids competing for D-line spots vacated by McMillian and Calton.

Plus they lost the kicker- If you know one send him to HC.
Is that enough clown? And let's be 100 percent clear on something-It is you who knows absolutely nothing about Harlan County. You see that they lost the QB and 2000 yards rushing and some linemen and assume no one is there to replace them. You are dead wrong.

See was that so hard carebear?

funny thing is, im the one who said HC was the favorite to win district earlier in this thread till you and HDE started, which ive come to expect nothing less from him. However, it can be played either way. Ill be there come october, and so will about 70 kids with Whitley County jerseys on.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:See was that so hard carebear?

funny thing is, im the one who said HC was the favorite to win district earlier in this thread till you and HDE started, which ive come to expect nothing less from him. However, it can be played either way. Ill be there come october, and so will about 70 kids with Whitley County jerseys on.

We'll have Brad Paisley key up for you and the cannons loaded.
[quote=RunItUpTheGut]See was that so hard carebear?

funny thing is, im the one who said HC was the favorite to win district earlier in this thread till you and HDE started, which ive come to expect nothing less from him. However, it can be played either way. Ill be there come october, and so will about 70 kids with Whitley County jerseys on.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome numbers!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:See was that so hard carebear?

As stated by Yogi, we have welcomed Whitley in a couple times to the friendly confines of Big Man Davis Stadium before and plan to do the same in 2012. Whitley will have a very solid football team this upcoming season and we wish them the best except for one night a year. Good luck and God bless. GO BEARS!

HDE started?
I think I just asked a question. I wondered why you changed your mind.
dontfeedthebears Wrote:As stated by Yogi, we have welcomed Whitley in a couple times to the friendly confines of Big Man Davis Stadium before and plan to do the same in 2012. Whitley will have a very solid football team this upcoming season and we wish them the best except for one night a year. Good luck and God bless. GO BEARS!

Good luck to you too!
To be honest, i love HC fans. You can ask the several HC fans i have talked to on here for years now. I have no problem with you guys at all, just picking at those two a little bit.
I hope both teams are undefeated when we travel to Harlan in October.
Once again, all joking aside, it should be another fantastic year of football in this district.
HDE Wrote:HDE started?
I think I just asked a question. I wondered why you changed your mind.

Im just playing with you kind sir.
This board is so dead that it needs a little argument.

I honestly do feel HC is the favorite, even with what Whitley returns.
IMHO, it could be the most even these two teams have been since they started without one or the other being a big favorite.

Will the stadium for sure be done this year?
tvtimeout Wrote:[quote=RunItUpTheGut]See was that so hard carebear?

funny thing is, im the one who said HC was the favorite to win district earlier in this thread till you and HDE started, which ive come to expect nothing less from him. However, it can be played either way. Ill be there come october, and so will about 70 kids with Whitley County jerseys on.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome numbers!

Thats what were expecting, however that is including freshmen as well of course.
Were expecting about 17 seniors on this team, which is the most weve had since i played over 10 years ago. Add that with about 13 or 14 Juniors, about 20 sophomores and a bunch of eager freshmen and are roster will fill out pretty good this year.
As ive said before, the only thing we lost was really some key lineman, but there are MANY lineman who will be seniors this year that are ready to step up. This should be a good class.
Best of luck to Whitley, and to RIUTG in keeping his pleasant demeanor toward his new HC friends.
^
:biggrin:
The Colonels have the opportunity to improve, but so do all the other teams in the district and region. The key component will be the coaches, and their ability to work with the young players who do have great potential. This year could be like 2007, when Whitley was very close to being a good team but still ended up being a year away. Coach Black like many coaches is only as good as his staff. Bobby Gibbs is a good play caller and will have more to work with the next three or four years. Jim Black will be running the defense after letting Coach Lawson run the defense in the past, and you should see improvement there. Coach Bozeman, McKiddy, Lawson, and Ayers have been overworked and it is clear that Whitley needs some more coaches. AD Mike Campbell when he was coach had many more coaches than does the current staff, so the key is getting some good coaches on the staff to work with the younger players.
dontfeedthebears Wrote:As stated by Yogi, we have welcomed Whitley in a couple times to the friendly confines of Big Man Davis Stadium before and plan to do the same in 2012. Whitley will have a very solid football team this upcoming season and we wish them the best except for one night a year. Good luck and God bless. GO BEARS!

Fans stand up for that song like they would for the National Anthem. I heard WC played that song everyday in practice the week of coming to HC.
^
:popcorn:
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:The Colonels have the opportunity to improve, but so do all the other teams in the district and region. The key component will be the coaches, and their ability to work with the young players who do have great potential. This year could be like 2007, when Whitley was very close to being a good team but still ended up being a year away. Coach Black like many coaches is only as good as his staff. Bobby Gibbs is a good play caller and will have more to work with the next three or four years. Jim Black will be running the defense after letting Coach Lawson run the defense in the past, and you should see improvement there. Coach Bozeman, McKiddy, Lawson, and Ayers have been overworked and it is clear that Whitley needs some more coaches. AD Mike Campbell when he was coach had many more coaches than does the current staff, so the key is getting some good coaches on the staff to work with the younger players.

They used to have a great middle school program under Fox...I think that was his name... is he not apart of the program any more... or how about Dave Lennon, he helped with JV or Freshmen, great guy. Anyway, there was another Huddleston maybe...anyway, what happen to these guys?
tvtimeout Wrote:They used to have a great middle school program under Fox...I think that was his name... is he not apart of the program any more... or how about Dave Lennon, he helped with JV or Freshmen, great guy. Anyway, there was another Huddleston maybe...anyway, what happen to these guys?

Fox retired a few years back. Bryant is now the new head coach and is doing fine, leading the 8th grade team to the state championship game last year.

Dave Lennon never was or will be a coach. He's just a radio announcer/sherriffs deputy. Hes part of the duo that calls games on the radio for Whitley. But, hes no coach, or even close to it.

Coach Huddleston coached when i was there and up until around 06 or 07 maybe. When Campbell retired, Whitley hired Gentry from Cumberlands and he let Hudd go before he even started and Hudd never resumed coaching. When Coach Black came in after Gentry resigned which was about 2 months after taking the job, and I believe Hudd helped a little bit but never got fully back into coaching.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Fox retired a few years back. Bryant is now the new head coach and is doing fine, leading the 8th grade team to the state championship game last year.

Dave Lennon never was or will be a coach. He's just a radio announcer/sherriffs deputy. Hes part of the duo that calls games on the radio for Whitley. But, hes no coach, or even close to it.

Coach Huddleston coached when i was there and up until around 06 or 07 maybe. When Campbell retired, Whitley hired Gentry from Cumberlands and he let Hudd go before he even started and Hudd never resumed coaching. When Coach Black came in after Gentry resigned which was about 2 months after taking the job, and I believe Hudd helped a little bit but never got fully back into coaching.

Glad to see the middle school doing well. Huddleston didn't his dad used to run the gas station down town? I thought Dave Lennon did coach, always around the program, just thought he was on staff. I can not believe he is a sherrif's deputy... anyway, so who does coach JV/Freshmen? If they got 40 players at those two levels they would at least need 3 to 5 coaches at least.

I went to the Alumni Bowl at Williamsburg and they had what looked like 7 to 9 coaches + who ever was in the box. I would think Whitley would have double that. I know Coach Campbell really worked hard to build that program to win 7 to 9 games a year. Anyway, I hope Whitley can get Harlan Co. but if they combined Cawood, Cumberland, and Evarts, each school had a very strong football tradition but with that being said they should have trouble getting numbers out like Whitley because of how large the county is.

Keep me updated RIUTG! Good luck to all teams in Whitley Co too!
tvtimeout Wrote:Glad to see the middle school doing well. Huddleston didn't his dad used to run the gas station down town? I thought Dave Lennon did coach, always around the program, just thought he was on staff. I can not believe he is a sherrif's deputy... anyway, so who does coach JV/Freshmen? If they got 40 players at those two levels they would at least need 3 to 5 coaches at least.

I went to the Alumni Bowl at Williamsburg and they had what looked like 7 to 9 coaches + who ever was in the box. I would think Whitley would have double that. I know Coach Campbell really worked hard to build that program to win 7 to 9 games a year. Anyway, I hope Whitley can get Harlan Co. but if they combined Cawood, Cumberland, and Evarts, each school had a very strong football tradition but with that being said they should have trouble getting numbers out like Whitley because of how large the county is.

Keep me updated RIUTG! Good luck to all teams in Whitley Co too!

Yea, the middle school is doing very well. I believe there headed in the right direction. Coach Hudd's dad did run the BP gas station and he's still around and attends Whitley games regularly with Hudd.
Lennon was always around the staff a lot, he does know his fair share of football being around the game for so long and has helped coach a little bit, but nothing major. He's been a sherriffs deputy for a very long time, he's actually the sherriffs dept's school resource officer that does the truency work and all of that good stuff i believe.
Campbell made Whitley what it is. Without him, there would be no program and we'd still be having 2-8 seasons like were until his arrival. They are only short about 1 or 2 coaches compared to what they had when Campbell was still coaching. I believe in Campbells last year they had around 8 coaches all together, not counting grad assistants. I think they are around that same amount today. When Black was an assistant under Campbell before going to Whitley they had around the same amount and those were some of Whitleys best teams.
Im expecting some decent numbers this year. We should have a lot more kids this year, but its all about getting them to stick with it and keep playing, but thats been a problem at almost every school.

And no problem man, if you wanna know anything just ask. Shoot me a PM anytime friend :Thumbs:
Whitley is finishing up spring practice, any diamonds in the rough that have been found? I hear that the numbers are up and they are moving forward.

Lennon has helped in lots of different roles over the years. He is not a coach but has helped Campbell and Black over the years. He is just one of those guys that wants the program to do well and helps out how ever he can. He and David Paul have done a lot in promoting the kids, the team and the school. It is amazing when you look around at other programs, you see lots of guys around the different programs who just help out and do for the good of the team. I did check on the KHSAA and Lennon is listed as the head coach of the cross country team, I did not even know they had a cross country team at Whitley.

I would say that if Huddleston wanted to coach he could, either at Whitley or some other school. Too bad he is not on the staff at Whitley he is a good guy who could bring a lot to the table if he worked at it.

I would say at some point they are going to HAVE to hire at least two coaches, just to supervise the numbers of players they have.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Whitley is finishing up spring practice, any diamonds in the rough that have been found? I hear that the numbers are up and they are moving forward.

Lennon has helped in lots of different roles over the years. He is not a coach but has helped Campbell and Black over the years. He is just one of those guys that wants the program to do well and helps out how ever he can. He and David Paul have done a lot in promoting the kids, the team and the school. It is amazing when you look around at other programs, you see lots of guys around the different programs who just help out and do for the good of the team. I did check on the KHSAA and Lennon is listed as the head coach of the cross country team, I did not even know they had a cross country team at Whitley.

I would say that if Huddleston wanted to coach he could, either at Whitley or some other school. Too bad he is not on the staff at Whitley he is a good guy who could bring a lot to the table if he worked at it.

I would say at some point they are going to HAVE to hire at least two coaches, just to supervise the numbers of players they have.

with all the budget cuts going around, I hope that they can.
Saw a little bit of spring practice, numbers looked good and the Bryant boy is a BEAST. I look for good things from the Colonels and Bryant this season.:trolldad2:
Whitley County will be surprising to a lot of the casual fans this year simple because they had bad record last year. Fans who actually watched the team play will not be surprise by any success that the Colonels have this year, last year once the district started they were very close to being a very good football team.
^
With this big of a senior class and incoming freshmen class along with a pretty decent size sophomore and junior class, the numbers will be better than they have been in a few years.....as long as all the kids stick with it. You have to think about how many kids were missing to baseball right now as well.

I would LOVE to have 60 kids dressing varsity this year. Realistically, I see around 45 Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors, with around 20 Freshmen.
I don't know if 45 is optimistic or realistic, but I think the 20 freshmen is about right. I think there may be 2 or 3 freshmen who will play roles for the Colonels. They were well seasoned last year as 8th graders going deep into the state playoffs at the middle school level.

I look for serious changes for the Colonels this year.
Have they added the forward pass to the playbook this year?
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:Whitley County will be surprising to a lot of the casual fans this year simple because they had bad record last year. Fans who actually watched the team play will not be surprise by any success that the Colonels have this year, last year once the district started they were very close to being a very good football team.

I guarantee no one in their district is going to be surprised, Whitley is loaded up for a deep run this year.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:I don't know if 45 is optimistic or realistic, but I think the 20 freshmen is about right. I think there may be 2 or 3 freshmen who will play roles for the Colonels. They were well seasoned last year as 8th graders going deep into the state playoffs at the middle school level.

I look for serious changes for the Colonels this year.

Nice post.

What do you see the numbers as being for the soph, junior, and senior classes?
I figured no less that 45 with all three combined. I know this may be the biggest senior class weve had since 01.

Some of these freshmen will have to wait their turn, but there are definitely some great young talent that could see the field this year.
hoops_town Wrote:Have they added the forward pass to the playbook this year?

We dont need it.
The option, is, was, and always will be the best high school offense to run. Not to mention the funnest to watch.
tvtimeout Wrote:Rains is an excellent coach and is from Williamsburg! Ironic!

Williamsburg seems to produce quite a bit of talent in the coaching ranks, but they rarely seem to make it back to the Williamsburg.