Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cameron Flynn's grand slam seals series win for Cats
A day after seeing its school-record home winning streak snapped, top-ranked Kentucky won a Southeastern Conference baseball series for the third week in a row, beating No. 10 Ole Miss 8-3 at Cliff Hagan Stadium Sunday.

Including a sweep of South Carolina in the SEC season-series opener, UK (30-3, 9-3 SEC) has won all four conference series and leads the Eastern Division.

"I think the fact that we won the Sunday game speaks to how tough we are," Coach Gary Henderson said. "And you don't take that for granted."

Saturday, Ole Miss snapped UK's 21-game home winning streak. Matt Snyder's grand slam keyed the Rebels.

Sunday, it was Cameron Flynn's turn to slam, hitting his eighth homer of the season and breaking a close battle with Ole Miss wide open.

Tied 1-1 through five innings, the Rebels grabbed a 2-1 lead in the sixth.

Will Allen led off with the double, was bunted to third and came home on Andrew Mistone's bloop single.

The Wildcats batted around in the bottom of the inning, though, with the first six batters reaching base.

Austin Cousino, who finished with three of UK's eight hits, led off with a single. A walk and a hit batsman loaded the bases.

Third baseman Mistone made a diving stop of Luke Maile's grounder, but Mistone's throw pulled first baseman Snyder off the bag for an infield single.

Flynn lined R.J. Hively's 1-2 offering over the wall in right field for a 6-2 UK lead.

A junior out of Henry Clay, Flynn began his college career at Morehead State. He transferred to UK and sat out last season.

He said he hadn't been seeing the ball well the last two series, but assistant coach Brian Green worked with him.

"Coach Green told me before (Hively) was going to be throwing a lot of change-ups and sliders," Flynn said. "So I just got a good pitch to hit and put a good swing on it."

The homer came a pitch after Flynn took a called strike.

"He threw a slider and it was up and out, I thought," Flynn said. "But it doesn't go your way all the time. ... (The next pitch) was a slider again. He left it over the middle."

UK, which scored its first run on Luke Maile's homer to lead off the second, got run-scoring hits by A.J. Reed in the seventh and Cousino in the eighth.

Corey Littrell (5-0), a left-handed sophomore out of Louisville Trinity, scattered nine hits, walked two and struck out four over six innings. Alex Phillips finished for his second save.

"I didn't have the best stuff today. I mean, it's hard for a pitcher to have their 'A' game every day," Littrell said. "But I was able to compete and throw the pitches I needed to when I needed to. And the team played good defense, and got those runs when I needed them."

Tanner Mathis, who like Mistone had three of Ole Miss's 11 hits, greeted Phillips by leading off the seventh with a double. One out later, he scored on Alex Yarbrough's double.

Mathis also scored the Rebels' first run. He led off the game with an infield single, eventually scoring from third on Snyder's single.

Littrell buckled down.

"Oh, I love Sundays. Especially the two on the road and then today," Littrell said. "There's no bigger feeling for a pitcher knowing you can help your team win — win the series. Because that's all it's about is winning the series. I know I have the skills and the mind set and everything to go in and win the game, and I've been able to do that the past few weeks."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/08/21442...rylink=cpy
SEC standings
Eastern Division

SEC GB All

Kentucky 8-3 — 29-3

Florida 7-5 11/225-7

Tennessee 6-5 2 20-11

Georgia 5-6 3 19-12

Vanderbilt 4-7 4 13-11

South Carolina 4-7 4 22-9

Western Division

Louisiana St. 8-4 — 25-7

Arkansas 6-5 11/223-7

Mississippi 6-5 11/221-9

Auburn 6-5 11/217-13

Mississippi St. 4-7 31/219-12

Alabama 3-8 41/212-19

Saturday's games

Mississippi 9, Kentucky 3

LSU 8, Florida 7

Arkansas 8, Georgia 3

Vanderbilt 4, Mississippi State 3

Alabama 4, Auburn 3

South Carolina 2, Tennessee 1

Sunday's games

Mississippi at Kentucky, 1 p.m.

Georgia at Arkansas, 1 p.m.

Tennessee at S. Carolina, 1:30 p.m.

Vanderbilt at Mississippi St., 2 p.m.

Auburn at Alabama, 2 p.m.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/08/21442...rylink=cpy
My brother was at the game, he said place went crazy when the grand slam happened.
CATS are playing some ball!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis