Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Kentucky basketball Wildcats now contemplate NBA draft
Anthony Davis had barely settled behind the microphone after leading the University of Kentucky basketball team past Kansas for the NCAA title Monday night when the first question about turning pro was lobbed his way.

Davis deflected it as he had so many shots during the course of the season, stating only that he’d make a decision after sitting down with his family and coach. But there’s really no question concerning the 6-foot-10 freshman’s spot should he make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

Davis, who has accumulated multiple national player, rookie and defensive player of the year honors, is the consensus No. 1 overall pick in projections. But UK coach John Calipari doesn’t want it to stop there.

“What I’m hoping,” Calipari said, “is there’s six first-rounders on this team.”

For that to happen, the first thing that needs to take place is all five of his underclassman starters declare for the draft. And senior Darius Miller, not widely regarded as a sure-fire first-round pick, to sneak his way into the top 30.

“He’s a guy that has played within himself for so many years,” said Ryan Blake, the NBA’s director of scouting. “He’s got good size, has good versatility, can shoot it outside, can pass the ball — those are intangibles that a team can look at.”

Calipari wants his players to take a long look at their options.

Along with Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is also considered a lock to be a lottery pick. ESPN.com’s Chad Ford has Kidd-Gilchrist second to Davis on his big board. In the past, Calipari has suggested that players who are expected to be lottery picks stay in the draft.

The NCAA set a date of April 10 for all underclassmen to withdraw their names from consideration for the draft — a full two months earlier than previous years. The date was moved up at the behest of several Atlantic Coast Conference coaches, so they would have a better sense of how decimated their rosters would be and give coaches a chance with late spring signees.

Calipari said that is too early for his players and that he is suggesting they gather information and make a decision whether or not to enter the draft by April 29. But if they enter the draft after April 10 they will not be able to withdraw their names and be eligible.

“They’re not being pressured by me or anybody else,” Calipari said. “They will have till the 29th to make that decision on what they want to do. I’m not worried about the NCAA deadline. It means nothing to me or those players.”

Terrence Jones, who contemplated going pro last year, only to return for his sophomore season, is the third UK player who most scouts think is either a late lottery pick or a mid-first rounder. Jones believes the extra year was worth it.

“Having that meeting with Coach, trying to come back and win, getting myself better, rewarding myself and my whole team with having a successful season is just a great way to finish,” he said.

Point guard Marquis Teague sounds like he is debating whether or not it would be worth it. The freshman from Indianapolis said “it’s a chance” he’ll return to campus next season, and several NBA scouts believe that he should.

Teague was pegged for having some immaturity when it comes to understanding time and score situations. After Kansas matched a Teague 3-pointer with one of its own, UK’s next possession he launched an ill-advised three. Calipari replaced him in the lineup immediately.

NBA.com’s David Aldridge had Teague as the fifth-best point guard of what is considered a thin crop in the draft. Because there aren’t many options at the position, Teague should be a first-rounder. Draftexpress.com had him the highest of all mock drafts, going at No. 18. Most others projected him a late first-rounder.

Like Jones, sophomore guard Doron Lamb benefited from playing a second season. He certainly left an impression with his game-high 22-point performance in the national title game.

He’ll likely play shooting guard in the league, although he played some point guard in high school and is projected by most as a mid- to late-first-rounder. Only Draftexpress.com had Lamb falling to the second round.

Calipari reiterated that he doesn’t like the one-and-done rule and that the NBA Players Association needs to find a way for incentives to keep players in college longer. Calipari suggested the NCAA pay for elite player’s insurance, knocking off a year of the rookie contract for those who stay two or more years in school and a bonus for graduating.

“The NBA would get a more seasoned player that would be better-prepared to promote and do all the things and not get in trouble and know how to act,” Calipari said. “It’s good for everybody.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
IMO

Davis - Lottery pick
MKG - Lottery pick
Jones - Mid 1st
Teague - Late 1st
Lamb - Late 1st
Miller - Mid 2nd
^ can agree with that. Lamb may well wind up playing for the best team.
Jones could still be a lottery pick but his slump mid season might have put him out of it. Because of that maybe he could improve his stock with another year of college ball. I very seriously doubt him staying but it couldnt hurt him IMO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“This is a great tradition that we have to live up to. It feels good that we were able to do this for Kentucky.” Brandon Knight

“it was a tough one, but we’re the real blue.” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

"This is MY state!" Anthony Davis