Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville High School Girls Head Coach position open
Who seems to be the frontrunners for this new opening? I was a fan of Coach Stewart, and she has a ton of wins in her career. I wish her luck, same as I wish PHS luck in filling her shoes.
What happened to her? Did she retire or take another job or just decide to give it up.
Basketball Guru Wrote:What happened to her? Did she retire or take another job or just decide to give it up.
As I understand it (I'm NOT 100% sure), she was told they wanted to go in a different direction with the program. She will continue to teach though.
I have a lot of respect for Coach Stuart and hope she is able to continue to help PHS be the great place it is.

I would like to thank her for all the time and energy she put in over the years, it was appreciated.

I also hope the administration has a good plan of action since the move was made. A talented group will return next season.

On, On Maroon and White!
If my math is correct she lost far more than she won.........she was fired.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:If my math is correct she lost far more than she won.........she was fired.
She had over 300 career wins, their record was 14-18 this past season (I think), true. But you don't find many girl's coaches that have 300 career wins. With Coach Stuart's class and hard work, she is a winner any way you look at it or measure it.
Hard-working, class act with over 300 wins.
Are they going to open this statewide or try to keep it in house? Are they looking for an experienced coach or look for an asistant wanting to move up? Just like other jobs, I assume it relies a lot on teaching positions. From rumors I heard at state tournament, I can think of a few quality coaches that might be interested. Does Pikeville have some talent returning this year and what does the feeder system look like, this could have some bearing on who might be interested.
Basketball Guru Wrote:Are they going to open this statewide or try to keep it in house? Are they looking for an experienced coach or look for an asistant wanting to move up? Just like other jobs, I assume it relies a lot on teaching positions. From rumors I heard at state tournament, I can think of a few quality coaches that might be interested. Does Pikeville have some talent returning this year and what does the feeder system look like, this could have some bearing on who might be interested.
They do have talent returning, and the feeder system is looking much better. I saw some pretty talented 5th and 6th graders this year, can't speak much of the junior high, I was unable to attend their games due to conflicts. Maybe someone else on here can. As far as I know, it is an open search, not just in house. PM me off the thread if you need more information.
PHSForever Wrote:They do have talent returning, and the feeder system is looking much better. I saw some pretty talented 5th and 6th graders this year, can't speak much of the junior high, I was unable to attend their games due to conflicts. Maybe someone else on here can. As far as I know, it is an open search, not just in house. PM me off the thread if you need more information.
Jr. High won the Pike County Championship.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Jr. High won the Pike County Championship.
Thanks for clearing it up. I thought so, but wasn't sure.
Coach Stuart will land on her feet.
It will also be interesting to see if the pieces were in place to find her successor. Too much talent coming up to give it to just anyone.
She was 117-129 while at Pikeville. Tell me where the 300 wins came from? Middle School? Bottom line she was fired because she did not win. Winners dont get fired unless they have off the court problems. Im hearing she may start raising goats.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:She was 117-129 while at Pikeville. Tell me where the 300 wins came from? Middle School? Bottom line she was fired because she did not win. Winners dont get fired unless they have off the court problems. Im hearing she may start raising goats.
*sigh*. Yet another blooming idiot hating on Pikeville. She previously coached at Belfry and Allen Central if I'm not mistaken. Just don't talk if you don't know what you are talking about. 117-129 at Pikeville? Not too bad, considering we don't have players coming from Canada, etc. Small population of students means pickings are slim and competition with other girls sports is fierce. Volleyball, cheerleading, softball.... And that's not including the academic, and other extra-curricular activities. "Winner" is measured in more than just total wins. Doing it right and with integrity and class counts too. Considering that, she's definitely a winner, the girls are better for having played for her.
Why did she leave Belfry and Allen Central?
PHSForever Wrote:Who seems to be the frontrunners for this new opening? I was a fan of Coach Stewart, and she has a ton of wins in her career. I wish her luck, same as I wish PHS luck in filling her shoes.

Possible replacements according to who I have talked to in the past week:

Misty Haynes Prater-Middle School Coach, fomer player at UPike

Scott Tackett-Rowan County, rumored wanting out of Rowan County, heard he had been offered the job at West Carter

Joey Thacker-Franklin County, from that area and has a daughter that can play a little from what I have been told

An assistant coach from Paintsville but did not hear a name

Will probabaly take a while to figure out teachig positions with such a small district....great school with a ton of potential
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Why did she leave Belfry and Allen Central?
That, I can't tell you because I frankly don't know. Wasn't for lack of winning though. She took Belfry to the state tournament while there, and had a winning record, same for Allen Central, had a winning record, fell one point short in the regional finals to Johnson Central in 02-03, again from what I can see, had a winning record. Notice both schools she won at, had much bigger enrollments and more to choose from and frankly, a better basketball tradition than the Pikeville girls. Maybe she wanted the challenge, who knows? Only she can answer that. Her first year at PHS (04-05), she was 17-12 and then the wheels fell off the bus the next year when they were 2-23., then 9-17, 18-10, 14-13, 13-12, 16-9, and this past season 14-18.

So 8 years here at PHS, and winning seasons in 5 of them. The Pikeville girls have always been scrappy, but short-handed. Glory years were 79-80-81, really. lost in the state semi-finals in 1980 completing a 30-1 season if I recall correctly. Otherwise, that has been it. All in all, she has performed admirably with what amounts to 2 maybe 3 good players per year. This past season, her two leading scorers accounted for 20 and 13 points per game, the next closest was 6 points per game. No height to speak of, really, and yet they were very competitive every year but one in 8 years.
Not a bad record while at P.H.S., imho. She is a class act and knows basketball. Watched her grow up, and comes from a good family. Wishing her the very best for the future.
Anytime you lose more than you win you will get fired. Period. If we were talking about being a good Samaritan then we should start another thread. This is about a bad basketball coach getting her @%%$ fired. I smells the goats already.
Any applicants yet? I have not seen it posted on khsaa site yet. A friend told me today that a former 15th region coach who has been coaching for several years in another part of the state and has been very successful was in Pikeville a couple of days this week. Does this mean anything, I dont know. Just saying.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Anytime you lose more than you win you will get fired. Period. If we were talking about being a good Samaritan then we should start another thread. This is about a bad basketball coach getting her @%%$ fired. I smells the goats already.
Stay classy.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Anytime you lose more than you win you will get fired. Period. If we were talking about being a good Samaritan then we should start another thread. This is about a bad basketball coach getting her @%%$ fired. I smells the goats already.
Wow. Nice and classy post. Can't remember the last time I heard a 300 game winner called a bad coach. What's it to you anyway? Most of your posts seem to center on Perry Central or the Louisville school girls threads. Run along, we'll not miss you.
:please:
Hey PHS forever, who was on the 1980 team? I did not follow girls much back then and would like to know some of the players. If I was guessing maybe Lockhart?
Robin newsome is a name i'm hearing<<<<<<<<<<<

'
'
Why would she leave SC isn't she from there and has the AD job?
Basketball Guru Wrote:Any applicants yet? I have not seen it posted on khsaa site yet. A friend told me today that a former 15th region coach who has been coaching for several years in another part of the state and has been very successful was in Pikeville a couple of days this week. Does this mean anything, I dont know. Just saying.
If this is the same former 15th region coach I've been told then Pville will really luck out. Excellent coach who is notorious for building strong programs especially with young talent. Don't know if he'd leave his current school who could be state tournament bound next year and several after...
Super Mario Wrote:If this is the same former 15th region coach I've been told then Pville will really luck out. Excellent coach who is notorious for building strong programs especially with young talent. Don't know if he'd leave his current school who could be state tournament bound next year and several after...

And his name is........?
Salimander Wrote:And his name is........?

Tim Rice of Southwestern. His name was mentioned on boys post for another job. I assume this is who super mario is referring to. Would be a great hire if he decides to leave SW. He will have a very good team returning there next year.
Rumors-Rumors-Rumors, If Rice, Harmon, etc are all interested in the opening, PHS would have a nice field to choose from. If you stay in house, all I can say is that Haynes can flat coach ! Gotta say, I was a cindy fan.....best wishes for her and best wishes for PHS. Choose wisely!!!