Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern dominance in Class A
Will the east ever be able to compete with the teams of north in the state semi's ? From the games I have seen, the mountain class A teams dont have the strength, speed, or technique to even play a game with them. for Example:
1) Paintsville getting blasted by Newport Catholic in '01. If im not mistaken Newport put up over 50 points the first half.
2) Pikeville getting beat by Beechwood last season. In that game pikeville got dominated on every aspect of the game.
I don't think Region 4 will compete with Region 3 this year esp. with the semi final matchup being in NKY. The last time Region 4 competed with REgion 3 was in 1999 when Pikeville lost in the final minutes at Beechwood. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Pikeville competing with NCC and/or Beechwood, and I think Pikeville is the best Region 4 has to offer.
PHSFAN Wrote:I don't think Region 4 will compete with Region 3 this year esp. with the semi final matchup being in NKY. The last time Region 4 competed with REgion 3 was in 1999 when Pikeville lost in the final minutes at Beechwood. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Pikeville competing with NCC and/or Beechwood, and I think Pikeville is the best Region 4 has to offer.

Does Pikeville play NCC at the PCB this year?
That's what I've heard CTD
Yes, they do. Check out http://www.PikevilleFootball.com for the schedule.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Yes, they do. Check out http://www.PikevilleFootball.com for the schedule.

That's a heck of a job on the website CE. Good Job
The title of the thread says it all.
Feeder School, Feeder Schools, Feeder Schools!!!!!
Exactly! they pretty much recruit.... but every great team dose it, even though some may not want to accept the facts and others just dont realize it, you dont just have all this talent in your town, but every once in a while, you'll get a great batch of kids that come along and have it all and what it takes
beechwood is so good i mean now they were really a powerhouse and they didnt even have their best running back for half the season
yep....
Coach Mac Wrote:beechwood is so good i mean now they were really a powerhouse and they didnt even have their best running back for half the season
What are you talking about? Dustin Menetrey played all season...

Anyway, it will be a very long time - maybe even never - for any EKY teams to be able to try and compete against the Beechwood's and Newport Catholic's of the world. They are simply on another level in all aspects of KY high school football than they EKY Class A teams are...
thedon1082 Wrote:
Coach Mac Wrote:beechwood is so good i mean now they were really a powerhouse and they didnt even have their best running back for half the season

He/She is probably refering to Curley(I believe that is his name)that I believe was injured. Wasn't he a RB that was injured during the season, or I may be totally off.

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:07 pm:

thedon1082 Wrote:

Anyway, it will be a very long time - maybe even never - for any EKY teams to be able to try and compete against the Beechwood's and Newport Catholic's of the world. They are simply on another level in all aspects of KY high school football than they EKY Class A teams are...

I wouldn't go as far as to say never. Pikeville will have some good talent coming up and in 1999 they gave the Tigers all they wanted in Ft. Michell and the following season played NCC pretty tough into the 2nd half. I agree with you in that Region 4 will not beat the Region 3 champion this season. However, Pikeville does have some young talent and it is a pretty good football program. Every few years they will put teams on the field that will be able to compete for a state title. Whether they win the close games or not is another question.
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:Exactly! they pretty much recruit.... but every great team dose it, even though some may not want to accept the facts and others just dont realize it, you dont just have all this talent in your town, but every once in a while, you'll get a great batch of kids that come along and have it all and what it takes

I'm sure you know what a feeder school is. So look at it like this, you have two schools, both are 1A. One school has a very successful football program, the other one just mediocre. Now in these feeder schools you have kids with talent, and with so many schools to choose from which one do you think the talented ones will pick? They are goin to pick the one that has the best chance to get them a ring. That's not considered recruiting. Granted some schools might do it. But if a kid chooses to go to the winning school instead of the school who isn't winning, I don't think I would consider that recruiting.
Yes, Curley was a BACKUP (emphasis on BACKUP) back for Beechwood. He was behind Dustin Menetrey on Beechwood before the injury. Never once was he the better back than Dustin - not even close. Great athlete, talented at both football and baseball - but there is no doubt whatsoever that Dustin was the best back Beechwood could have put on the field in 2004. Dustin was a top 5 back in the state last season - how could he not be the best back on Beechwood's team?
thedon1082 Wrote:Yes, Curley was a BACKUP (emphasis on BACKUP) back for Beechwood. He was behind Dustin Menetrey on Beechwood before the injury. Never once was he the better back than Dustin - not even close. Great athlete, talented at both football and baseball - but there is no doubt whatsoever that Dustin was the best back Beechwood could have put on the field in 2004. Dustin was a top 5 back in the state last season - how could he not be the best back on Beechwood's team?

I never said that Curley was the starter. I have watched him play football and baseball and he is a very good baseball player. There is no doubt that Menetrey was the best RB on the Beechwood squad last season. I was just stating thats whom the poster was probably refering to. I don't know if Menetrey was a top 5 back in the state but he was a very good RB and I wish him the best at Georgetown.
PHSFAN Wrote:I never said that Curley was the starter. I have watched him play football and baseball and he is a very good baseball player. There is no doubt that Menetrey was the best RB on the Beechwood squad last season. I was just stating thats whom the poster was probably refering to. I don't know if Menetrey was a top 5 back in the state but he was a very good RB and I wish him the best at Georgetown.
My comment was directed towards "Coach Mac" - not towards you. I was just building it off of your post.
Beechwood is an Independent K-12 School, so they are their own feeder program. There have been a number of parents that have moved to Ft Mitchell to have their son play for the top Coach in the State, so I guess if that is recruiting so be it.
People, EKY teams have beaten NKY teams before.... Not many have done it though, and i wouldn't say that they would never do it again, cause they will, NKY teams can't be the best every year, every team has a down season............
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:People, EKY teams have beaten NKY teams before.... Not many have done it though, and i wouldn't say that they would never do it again, cause they will, NKY teams can't be the best every year, every team has a down season............
It seems like it is becoming more and more rare for the NKY 1A teams to have down years. I just don't see them having one in the next 5 seasons, as both have very talented underclassmen coming up and the feed of tremendous athletes to both Newport Catholic and Beechwood is getting bigger every year.
This is true... any chance of them moving up to 2A if they keep getting students?
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:This is true... any chance of them moving up to 2A if they keep getting students?

If I am not mistaken Beechwood is one of the smallest high schools in the state.
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:This is true... any chance of them moving up to 2A if they keep getting students?
Nope. Newport Catholic is at about 485 students right now, and will only be in danger of a switch to 2A if they get above 600 or so I think. That may happen in the next 10 years though...

Yes, Beechwood is one of the smallest high schools in the state. Not dangerously small, but probably on the 250-300 student level I think.
If I remember correctly, Paintsville has approximately 270 kids grades 7-12. They are also an indepndent school.