Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freddie Roach lists top 5 boxers in MMA
t should be noted that Roach may be approaching the whole conversation from a place of bias. Four of the five fighters he mentioned are guys who have come to train with him at some point or another in their careers.

That aside, Roach is one of the top trainers in all of boxing, working with his fair share of MMA fighters who are trying to perfect their respective stand up games.

The following is Roach's top five list, in reverse order (with "1" being the best, in his opinion):

5) K.J. Noons -- "K.J. is always in my gym and he's very dedicated with his work ethic. I just love his tenacity in the ring. He comes to fight and he's all about action."

4) Nick Diaz -- "Nick Diaz is one of the most exciting fighters in the world, today. He's great with his hands. He gets sidetracked a little bit, like in his last fight, but I think he'll a great comeback. I'm looking forward to facing him with "GSP" someday, 'cause there's a lot of talk about that."

3) B.J. Penn -- "You know, B.J., he's one of the best strikers I've ever faced, and that I've ever been in the ring with. It's been quite a few years ago, and I think he's close to retiring right now, but I'd call him the "James Toney of MMA," because his weight would fluctuate quite a bit. He'll fight from low weights to heavyweights. He'll fight anyone in the world. He's a good guy to be around, and he's just a hard, hard worker and a great striker."

2) Georges St. Pierre -- "'GSP's' one of the greatest guys in the world. He's a real gentleman and one of the best students I've ever had. I asked him, 'How long did you go home and practice in front of the mirror last night?' Because if I show him a move, he comes back with it the next day, and you know he practiced all night in front of the mirror. So, I love the guy. He's a good guy and a hard worker, and that's what it's all about it hard work."

1) Anderson Silva -- "I had the honor of working with Anderson Silva, when he was in our gym for about five or six days in a row. He told me, 'I'm pretty good at MMA, but I'm not too goo at boxing.' He's just a real humble guy and very talented. He is one of the best guys that really understands distance and timing. He fights off the ropes a little bit. I told him that can be a little bit dangerous sometimes and to be careful, but he'll suck you in, he'll set you up, he's one of the most intelligent fighters I've ever seen and have ever worked with."
Not too many arguments with the list besides GSP & Noons. I would def add the likes of Fabiano Maldanado and Dos Santos to the list.
I agree, Dos Santos has to he top 3
Have you ever seen maldanado? There isnt a fighter in MMA that utilizes bodyshots like him, he absolutely wrecked Kyle Kingsbury with them, def has a boxing background. I would def have Dos Santos at 1 or 2, and Silva lower...While he is a devastating striker, he uses more Muay Thai than he does boxing.
I agree that Dos Santos should be on that list. Also, just throwing this out there but I think Chuck Liddell should be on there as well. Not too many guys can knock you out while back pedaling...
NothingTrivial Wrote:Have you ever seen maldanado? There isnt a fighter in MMA that utilizes bodyshots like him, he absolutely wrecked Kyle Kingsbury with them, def has a boxing background. I would def have Dos Santos at 1 or 2, and Silva lower...While he is a devastating striker, he uses more Muay Thai than he does boxing.

Have not seen Maldanado fight yet. IMO body punches are very under utilized in MMA.