Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGHS bowling teams finish 2nd, advance to state
There will be plenty of local representation at the high school state bowling tournament.
Bowling Green finished second Saturday in the boys’ and girls’ team events of the Region 1 Tournament at Crescent Bowl, while three local individuals earned state bids.
They’ll all advance to the state tournament, which takes place March 22-23 at Executive Bowl in Louisville.
“At the beginning of the season, if you would’ve said that both our boys and girls would be representing the first region in the state tournament, I don’t think any of us would’ve believed it,” BGHS coach Craig Widener said. “We just kind of did this for something fun and to get kids out here that don’t normally have something to compete for, but the way they’ve come together and bowled for each other has been a great thing.”
Both Bowling Green teams lost to Graves County in the finals, but the top two teams from each region advance.
The Purples swept Warren Central and South Warren to reach the championship.
“It was exciting,” junior Zack Borden said. “We had a good team effort. We came out at the beginning of the year and didn’t think we were very good at all.
“To get a lot better is great, and we’re all going to have a lot of fun at state.”
The Lady Purples beat Paducah Tilghman and claimed a win over South Warren in the semifinals before falling to Graves County.
“It’s been stressful,” senior Nikki Keown said. “We didn’t think we’d make it past South Warren, so the fact that we’re going to state is amazing.”
Keown, who carries a 170 average, has a family friend who owns Southern Lanes and has been bowling since she was 6.
She started as the No. 5 seed of the individual championship, which is completed with a ladder tournament.
In the ladder style, the four and five seeds first play each other, and the winner of each game after that continues to play until eliminated. The No. 1 seed automatically earns a berth to the championship.
Keown won two games to finish third overall, and she said she’s taken on a leadership role with the Lady Purples.
“I guess I’ve had more practice than all of them,” said Keown, laughing. “Everybody has improved so much from the beginning of the year. I guess I’m the captain, and I like to encourage the girls and give advice when I can.”
Borden and Keown were the only BG bowlers with any competitive experience before the season, Widener said.
“It started out with kids with really low average ... and by the end of the season, everyone’s average has come up 20 or 30 pins apiece,” Widener said. “This is icing on the cake. Our goal the whole time has been to make it out of the region, and whatever happens now we’ll take.
“The big thing is that we’re at the state tournament, and there’s a lot of teams that can’t say that.”
Warren East senior Tyler Phelps, who drew attention during the regular season by becoming the second person in the state to bowl a perfect game, won the boys’ individual title as the top seed.
Phelps bowled one game in the ladder format, beating South Warren’s Kaleb Miller in the final, 200-177.
“This is something I always wanted to do – win a big tournament like this,” Phelps said. “It’s an amazing feeling, and I’m glad I got to bowl against one of my good friends, Kaleb.”
Miller, the two seed, made it to the finals by posting seven straight strikes in the semifinals for a 258 – the highest score in the individual tournament.
Keown beat Warren East’s Samantha Embry and Graves County’s Sarah Watts to earn her a third-place finish.
Graves County’s Katie Cathey won the girls’ individual crown.
Phelps said his goals are simple heading to state. This season is the first for bowling as a KHSAA-sanctioned sport.
“I’m looking to win – bowl well and win,” Phelps said.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/bghs-b...963f4.html