Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims
TidesHoss32 Wrote:You brought up a good point, in that some people just flat out cant afford homeowners insurance. There are many disabled people (that are legit), and many elderly people that cant afford the high homeowners insurance, and to think that they have lost everything they had, with their only hope coming from donations and someone opening their doors for them, is just sad. With the majority of the homes I seen today, I would bet that the owners wouldnt be able to afford it..Your brother in law was fairly fortunate in that he'll be able to get it back. But it saddens me to think that an elderly person has had to drop their homeowners insurance so they can pay for their medicine and their utilities, and in one horrible minute, everything they've ever worked for, is gone. I hope I never see this again, but as long as people will need our help, we'll be there for them. RV we may rarely agree on politics or religion, but I think we have the humanity part pretty well down..
It's supposed to be the human way, help our fellow man that need help. When you go into these areas, politics never enter you mind, and that's a great thing. You see everybody just interested in one thing, helping people that need it. Like you, I will be more than glad that some of my tax money helps these people. As of right now, the administration has declared 7 Kentucky counties as disaster areas. Johnson, Kenton, Laurel, Lawrence, Menifee, Morgan, and Pendleton.

I'm sure Magoffin and Martin will be added in the next few days, they are still doing assessments.
I just got off of the phone with the Governor's assistant, and he assured me that Magoffin and Martin will be added to the list of counties as soon as the assessment is done. The reason they have already named the other counties, is because the assessments are done in those counties.
First to all of those working in the disaster relief areas... a big thank you and know that many people in my home county are praying for you and the victims daily.

I believe that there is a private solution to helping people. I also believe that the federal government causes a state of dependency on the government.

Ron Paul articulates this message very clear.

There are some that will say " he doesn't care", "heartless", etc. because he believes that tax payers money should not go to federal disasters.

I was taught never mix money and feelings together, bad combination.

My question is why can I not give to my church "to give to the poor", "to help with rebuilding projects in Kentucky and elsewhere".

Is my heart wrong to do this... I think I could choose where my money goes is alot more democratic than letting a bueracracy take it and only use about 30 cents on the dollar for the operation. Where the odds are I can find something better on my own and make sure that the people get 50 cents on the dollar.

As far as people owning houses without house insurance... sorry about your luck, I have to pay my house insurance.

The arguement that people make as far as affording housing insurance is not valid. That is part of the responsiblity of owning a home. If I can not afford something, well I guess that means I don't get to have it.

Somewhere, saying "no" has become a bad thing, or a "heartless thing". I dislike the republicans because they can not say no to bailout on wall street, democrats can not say no to the poor, people who are "disabled", or anyone they think they can buy the vote from.

Both are destroying our country, but that is alright, I am learning chinesse.:Thumbs:
tvtimeout Wrote:First to all of those working in the disaster relief areas... a big thank you and know that many people in my home county are praying for you and the victims daily.

I believe that there is a private solution to helping people. I also believe that the federal government causes a state of dependency on the government.

Ron Paul articulates this message very clear.

There are some that will say " he doesn't care", "heartless", etc. because he believes that tax payers money should not go to federal disasters.

I was taught never mix money and feelings together, bad combination.

My question is why can I not give to my church "to give to the poor", "to help with rebuilding projects in Kentucky and elsewhere".

Is my heart wrong to do this... I think I could choose where my money goes is alot more democratic than letting a bueracracy take it and only use about 30 cents on the dollar for the operation. Where the odds are I can find something better on my own and make sure that the people get 50 cents on the dollar.

As far as people owning houses without house insurance... sorry about your luck, I have to pay my house insurance.

The arguement that people make as far as affording housing insurance is not valid. That is part of the responsiblity of owning a home. If I can not afford something, well I guess that means I don't get to have it.

Somewhere, saying "no" has become a bad thing, or a "heartless thing". I dislike the republicans because they can not say no to bailout on wall street, democrats can not say no to the poor, people who are "disabled", or anyone they think they can buy the vote from.

Both are destroying our country, but that is alright, I am learning chinesse.:Thumbs:
Drive through the parts of these counties and see the shacks and mobile homes that got destroyed and maybe you will see things different. Most of these places aren't things I would call "homes". Yea, with an attitude like yours, you are definitely "heartless". I'd say you haven't been out of your house seeing all this stuff. There is a huge FEMA generator sitting at the water plant in Magoffin, to get the water going while the electric is being worked on. Churches can't take care of stuff like that. Your post is typical of people that are ignorant of what the government money is doing.
So much pure ignorance in this thread. It is not that Ron Paul doesn't believe that aid should come for those who need it. He believes that the federal govt should have no role in it at all, or at least very little, in only providing logistics Ie: transport of goods and people to disaster areas. Its been proven time and time again that FEMA is completely inept. So much money is wasted by FEMA.

Ron Paul believes the states and local areas should be the ones behind providing the support. They know the areas better, know what is needed, and it would operate smoother. How would some guy from Pennsylvania know how to go into Colorado and direct disaster relief?

Obviously other changes would have to take place before states would be ready to handle this type of burden, but it is a practical goal and IMO is the way things should start moving.

100% behind Ron Paul on this.
Beetle01 Wrote:So much pure ignorance in this thread. It is not that Ron Paul doesn't believe that aid should come for those who need it. He believes that the federal govt should have no role in it at all, or at least very little, in only providing logistics Ie: transport of goods and people to disaster areas. Its been proven time and time again that FEMA is completely inept. So much money is wasted by FEMA.

Ron Paul believes the states and local areas should be the ones behind providing the support. They know the areas better, know what is needed, and it would operate smoother. How would some guy from Pennsylvania know how to go into Colorado and direct disaster relief?

Obviously other changes would have to take place before states would be ready to handle this type of burden, but it is a practical goal and IMO is the way things should start moving.

I pay federal taxes, and don't care one bit that they use it in this situation. Make us a list of what you want federal taxes used on.
TheRealVille Wrote:I just got off of the phone with the Governor's assistant, and he assured me that Magoffin and Martin will be added to the list of counties as soon as the assessment is done. The reason they have already named the other counties, is because the assessments are done in those counties.
Did the assistant explain what is taking so long? How long does it take to drive from Frankfort to the end of the Mountain Parkway? Or is the delay on FEMA's end?
Beetle01 Wrote:So much pure ignorance in this thread. It is not that Ron Paul doesn't believe that aid should come for those who need it. He believes that the federal govt should have no role in it at all, or at least very little, in only providing logistics Ie: transport of goods and people to disaster areas. Its been proven time and time again that FEMA is completely inept. So much money is wasted by FEMA.

Well said, Beetle. For some reason most Kentucky liberals seem to think that my neighbors are smarter than their fellow Kentuckians. It makes no sense to have the federal government providing disaster relief when it is something that states should be able to do much more efficiently.

People in Washington are no smarter than people anywhere else in this country and they have a much smaller personal stake in how quickly and effectively aid is provided to eastern Kentucky. Mention that you are from eastern Kentucky here and a common response is, "Lexington?"
"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

That includes it's people.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Did the assistant explain what is taking so long? How long does it take to drive from Frankfort to the end of the Mountain Parkway? Or is the delay on FEMA's end?
It is FEMA doing the assessments. More counties were added today. Remember, they just came out with the first seven yesterday evening. It has only been five days.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Well said, Beetle. For some reason most Kentucky liberals seem to think that my neighbors are smarter than their fellow Kentuckians. It makes no sense to have the federal government providing disaster relief when it is something that states should be able to do much more efficiently.

People in Washington are no smarter than people anywhere else in this country and they have a much smaller personal stake in how quickly and effectively aid is provided to eastern Kentucky. Mention that you are from eastern Kentucky here and a common response is, "Lexington?"
With what? Kentucky is as broke as Washington.

As you would say, if you don't like what is going on in the federal government, and the US, move.

TheRealVille Wrote:It is FEMA doing the assessments. More counties were added today. Remember, they just came out with the first seven yesterday evening. It has only been five days.
Only five days??? This is an illustration why disaster aid should not depend on Washington bureaucrats.

Another thing, let's assume that Magoffin County is not declared part of the disaster aid. Then those businesses and homes that were destroyed would not be eligible for FEMA funds (or at least not the same benefits) that people who lost businesses and homes to tornadoes in Johnson County. Do you think that would be fair?

Suppose only one home in Breathitt County was leveled by a tornado. Would the owner need disaster relief less than other unfortunate victims geographically blessed to live in a county that FEMA designates a disaster area. Some would argue that would deprive the Breathitt Countian of equal protection under the law.

Finally, if Kentucky was a battleground state like Ohio or Pennsylvania, do you think the victims who live in Magoffin County would still be waiting in an election year for a federal bureaucrat to finish his assessment?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Only five days??? This is an illustration why disaster aid should not depend on Washington bureaucrats.

Another thing, let's assume that Magoffin County is not declared part of the disaster aid. Then those businesses and homes that were destroyed would not be eligible for FEMA funds (or at least not the same benefits) that people who lost businesses and homes to tornadoes in Johnson County. Do you think that would be fair?

Suppose only one home in Breathitt County was leveled by a tornado. Would the owner need disaster relief less than other unfortunate victims geographically blessed to live in a county that FEMA designates a disaster area. Some would argue that would deprive the Breathitt Countian of equal protection under the law.

Finally, if Kentucky was a battleground state like Ohio or Pennsylvania, do you think the victims who live in Magoffin County would still be waiting in an election year for a federal bureaucrat to finish his assessment?
Just exactly what length of time do you approve of being the appropriate amount of assessment time? I'm not saying that they haven't been a little slow, but it doesn't matter, Kentucky can't handle it anyway.
I know why you libertarians are pissed, you don't want any of your money spent helping people. I'll guarantee none of you have spent one dime helping people that you say should be helped on the local level. Your county is hurting Hoot. Are you helping them? How about you beetle? Tvtimeout? All of you are from Kentucky.
TheRealVille Wrote:Just exactly what length of time do you approve of being the appropriate amount of assessment time? I'm not saying that they haven't been a little slow, but it doesn't matter, Kentucky can't handle it anyway.
There should have been people on the ground assessing the damage on Saturday morning. It should not take long to determine whether an area has suffered a disaster or not. I don't think that anybody is saying that FEMA should not respond because that is the broken system that we currently have in place but Kentucky should be capable and responsible for delivering relief for Kentucky disasters. And a Kentuckian would have been out looking at the damage early Saturday morning or somebody might have been sent packing come election time.

According to my brother-in-law, insurance agents had people working to repair damage in West Van Lear Saturday morning. There is no reason to expect less dedication from our government employees who work for relief agencies.
The constitution allows for taxes to be collected to be used for the general welfare of the United States. Kentucky and it's people are included in this, deal with it.
TheRealVille Wrote:I know why you libertarians are pissed, you don't want any of your money spent helping people. I'll guarantee none of you have spent one dime helping people that you say should be helped on the local lever. Your county is hurting Hoot. Are you helping them? How about you beetle? Tvtimeout? All of you are from Kentucky.
Make your up your mind, RV. I cannot be a big city feller and a Johnson Countian at the same time. What charities I spend money on is none of your business. I don't donate to charities so that I can come on here and boast about what a generous man I am. All that does is make a man look small.
TheRealVille Wrote:The constitution allows for taxes to be collected to be used for the general welfare of the United States. Kentucky and it's people are included in this, deal with it.
It would be constitutional to tax everyone of us at a 90% rate, including the 50% of the population who do not currently pay any federal income tax. The federal government has the power to do many things but that does not mean that it should do all of them. Most of what FEMA does should be done at the state level.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Make your up your mind, RV. I cannot be a big city feller and a Johnson Countian at the same time. What charities I spend money on is none of your business. I don't donate to charities so that I can come on here and boast about what a generous man I am. All that does is make a man look small.
I never said one thing about me. You see no boasting from me. All I've said is I've been on the ground working. You don't have to tell, your type is easy to read.
TheRealVille Wrote:I never said one thing about me. You see no boasting from me. All I've said is I've been on the ground working. You don't have to tell, your type is easy to read.

How are things going along there? We had so many donations of clothes and other items we had to stop accepting them here in martin.
The tornados hit Friday evening(7pm), FEMA got here Sunday, and began assessing Monday morning. All of the first counties listed, except one, had fatalities. The first assessments came out Tuesday, and today is Wednesday. Not too bad, I would say. Stuff does take a little time.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:How are things going along there? We had so many donations of clothes and other items we had to stop accepting them here in martin.
It's slowly becoming able to move around freely, so as to get to the different areas. Same with Magoffin on the donations. They have stopped accepting clothes, but continue to take shoes, cleaning supplies, and paper products, and of course money. The churches are still mainly the ones handling the food situation, food deliveries, and hot meals.
TheRealVille Wrote:The tornados hit Friday evening(7pm), FEMA got here Sunday, and began assessing Monday morning. All of the first counties listed, except one, had fatalities. The first assessments came out Tuesday, and today is Wednesday. Not too bad, I would say. Stuff does take a little time.
So FEMA flew in Sunday evening and went to work on the next weekday. Yeah, I do think that is pretty shabby. The federal government knew that conditions were right for widespread tornadoes in the area. It should not take two days for them to mobilize if they insist on calling the shots from DC. They should have people ready to go at a minutes notice.

There is no reason for an entire county to be declared a disaster area. If the government is going to dip into the federal treasury and assist victims of disasters, then every American citizen should qualify for help without being required to live in a county that has been designated a disaster area.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So FEMA flew in Sunday evening and went to work on the next weekday. Yeah, I do think that is pretty shabby. The federal government knew that conditions were right for widespread tornadoes in the area. It should not take two days for them to mobilize if they insist on calling the shots from DC. They should have people ready to go at a minutes notice.

There is no reason for an entire county to be declared a disaster area. If the government is going to dip into the federal treasury and assist victims of disasters, then every American citizen should qualify for help without being required to live in a county that has been designated a disaster area.
So, the government should have had them here before the tornados? :biglmao: You really don't have a clue. We just started getting the "maybe" talk on Thursday. There were no roads accessible to do damage assessments.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So FEMA flew in Sunday evening and went to work on the next weekday. Yeah, I do think that is pretty shabby. The federal government knew that conditions were right for widespread tornadoes in the area. It should not take two days for them to mobilize if they insist on calling the shots from DC. They should have people ready to go at a minutes notice.

If you knew anything about the area you would know there is places FEMA have not been able to see. Roads have been blocked off for days. Old Route 3 is just now accessible.

Officials say people in Magoffin and Martin Counties should start getting their information together so when the federal disaster declaration is made, they can start applying immediately.
TheRealVille Wrote:So, the government should have had them here before the tornados? :biglmao: You really don't have a clue. We just started getting the "maybe" talk on Thursday. There were no roads accessible to do damage assessments.
No, genius, but an emergency relief organization the size of FEMA can certainly have people ready to board planes the day after disasters strike. I believe that FEMA has access to helicopters and if not, then I am pretty sure that the National Guard does. There is no good reason that FEMA was not working on Sunday morning, at the latest.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It would be constitutional to tax everyone of us at a 90% rate, including the 50% of the population who do not currently pay any federal income tax. The federal government has the power to do many things but that does not mean that it should do all of them. Most of what FEMA does should be done at the state level.
First of all, Hoot, Beetle, etc, I hope that you would know that I 100% respect you guys, and 99.9% of the time, I agree with you all, but not on this. I agree the federal government has the power to do many things, but not all of them. I have no fault with that statement. However, THIS is what the federal money should be spent on, in my opinion. Scale back on what needs scaled back on (handing out free checks all year long to girls with five kids with five different daddys, to the ones that refuse to work, to the literally millions of "rehabilitation centers" that allow junkies in and out 47 times a year on the taxpayers money. Stop the war on drugs altogether. The war on drugs is one of the biggest wastes of funds in this nation, and its been wasting money for 40 years. If the federal money is going to be used, use it on disasters, to take better care of our elderly people, and our veterans. I read tvtimeouts post stating "if you dont have homeowners insurance, sorry about your luck", its VERY obvious that he has not seen a 70-75 year old person have to make a decision on whether to cut off his/her electricity, not pick up their meds, or to do without homeowners insurance. I know MANY elderly people that have to do it. My step father is one of them. He passed away in January, and he lived in Naples, Florida. He was 74 yrs old, and simply didnt have the funds to pay for his car insurance, house payment, electricity, utilities, gas, and homeowners insurance. I assume most of you all are like me, thankful to not have to worry about that, but there are a lot more than you may realize that arent so fortunate. Again, this isnt a personal attack on anyone, because I honestly and truthfully respect all of you, but from the destruction I seen in Salyersville and Hager Hill (pictures do NOT do it justice), this is a stance I will stand firm on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:First of all, Hoot, Beetle, etc, I hope that you would know that I 100% respect you guys, and 99.9% of the time, I agree with you all, but not on this. I agree the federal government has the power to do many things, but not all of them. I have no fault with that statement. However, THIS is what the federal money should be spent on, in my opinion. Scale back on what needs scaled back on (handing out free checks all year long to girls with five kids with five different daddys, to the ones that refuse to work, to the literally millions of "rehabilitation centers" that allow junkies in and out 47 times a year on the taxpayers money. Stop the war on drugs altogether. The war on drugs is one of the biggest wastes of funds in this nation, and its been wasting money for 40 years. If the federal money is going to be used, use it on disasters, to take better care of our elderly people, and our veterans. I read tvtimeouts post stating "if you dont have homeowners insurance, sorry about your luck", its VERY obvious that he has not seen a 70-75 year old person have to make a decision on whether to cut off his/her electricity, not pick up their meds, or to do without homeowners insurance. I know MANY elderly people that have to do it. My step father is one of them. He passed away in January, and he lived in Naples, Florida. He was 74 yrs old, and simply didnt have the funds to pay for his car insurance, house payment, electricity, utilities, gas, and homeowners insurance. I assume most of you all are like me, thankful to not have to worry about that, but there are a lot more than you may realize that arent so fortunate. Again, this isnt a personal attack on anyone, because I honestly and truthfully respect all of you, but from the destruction I seen in Salyersville and Hager Hill (pictures do NOT do it justice), this is a stance I will stand firm on.

:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:

From the ones that have seen the damage up close and the ones that see it on the news.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If you knew anything about the area you would know there is places FEMA have not been able to see. Roads have been blocked off for days. Old Route 3 is just now accessible.

Officials say people in Magoffin and Martin Counties should start getting their information together so when the federal disaster declaration is made, they can start applying immediately.
I know enough about the area to know that no place is not accessible using helicopters and two feet. I assume that there are still a few mining companies in the area that own corporate helicopters and have experienced pilots that would have gladly ferried FEMA reps into the areas where roads were blocked.