Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Knight
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wooden's great players did not just show up at Pauley Pavillion by accident. They came to play for the greatest college basketball coach in the history of the game. Wooden was a great recruiter. Recruiting matters. National titles matter. Wooden has 10 titles and Knight has 7 titles despite having far more opportunities to win them.

Wooden won with class and Knight won without it. That is why Knight had so much trouble recruiting late in his career. It is no badge of honor that Knight managed to win some games with inferior talent because he had trouble recruiting and retaining top level recruits.

As for Phil Jackson, I think much of his success has been because he avoided putting himself in no win situations. I am not a Jackson fan but his coaching accomplishments tower above Bobby Knight's paltry three national titles.

Can you point to one season where Bobby Knight's team overachieved to the same extent as Brad Stevens' Butler team did in the past two seasons? I can't. But, like I said, titles matter and Stevens has none - yet, so I would rank Knight above him for the time being.

LOL, Bobby Knights 902 was from over achieving! Five final fours and three titles with players that would not have been towel boys on a John Wooden team. Don't think I'm taking shots at Wooden, no way, but Wooden could not lose with the talent he had. Knight should have never competed with the talent he had. Best player Knight ever had was Thomas, No, not Jim, Isaiah! Plus, there were never any "Sam Gilbert's" or even rumored issues with any friends of the program while Knight was at the helm!

No way that I am backing off that Knight did more with less than any coach in the history of the game. And to accomplish what his teams did has not been repeated for the length of a career by anyone else!
Stardust Wrote:LOL, Bobby Knights 902 was from over achieving! Five final fours and three titles with players that would not have been towel boys on a John Wooden team. Don't think I'm taking shots at Wooden, no way, but Wooden could not lose with the talent he had. Knight should have never competed with the talent he had. Best player Knight ever had was Thomas, No, not Jim, Isaiah! Plus, there were never any "Sam Gilbert's" or even rumored issues with any friends of the program while Knight was at the helm!

No way that I am backing off that Knight did more with less than any coach in the history of the game. And to accomplish what his teams did has not been repeated for the length of a career by anyone else!
You really do not know what you are talking about when you say that Knight deserves credit for winning so many games with inferior talents. During Indiana's glory years, Indiana was loaded with talent. The talent only dropped off as Knight's reputation as a angry bully grew. Knight's teams made a lot of early tournament exits as Knight drove away talent.

For example, Knight's 1976 undefeated team included two All Americans; Scott May and Kent Benson; and four-year starter, three-year team captain Quinn Buckner. May was the national POY in 1976 and all three were high first-round NBA draft picks (#1, #2, and #7). That team was loaded and Knight claimed that the 1975 team, which Kentucky eliminated from the tournament, was even better.

Your claim about Knight being an overachiever is like saying that a guy who hops around on one foot is the great dancer because he blew a hole in his other foot with his own pistol but remained on the dance floor. Knight's talent problems late in his career was a self-inflicted wound. It is not a point in his favor.
Stardust??
[Image: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfdsonZ51t1qaz5xi.jpg]
Dusty, you do realize that from 1993-94 until he resigned in 2008 the "greatest coach in college sports" went to a grand total of ONE Sweet 16, right? Feel free to compare the two, but Bobby Knight wasnt in Tubby's league the last ten or twelve years of his career..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:LOL - Piece of shit! Bahahahaha, Bahahahaha - if he was a football coach, people would say this coach is "One tough SOB", but in because this guy does not like the team we cheer for (Which is a REAL rivalry), we say he's a piece of shit. LOLOLOLO, Bahahahahaha - yeah, he's a piece of shit who has 2 titles attached to his name without a single win being taken off his record! Piece of Shit, bahahahahaha!
That is not why I dislike him nor is it why I created this thread. His personal hatred for UK makes his opinions so biased that they are borderline absurd. ESPN should hold their analysts to higher standers than that. You don't like UK or Calipari that's fine, but purposely leaving them off best team/player/coach lists make you look like a bitter old man and ridiculous. They are good and he knows it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“This is a great tradition that we have to live up to. It feels good that we were able to do this for Kentucky.” Brandon Knight

“it was a tough one, but we’re the real blue.” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

"This is MY state!" Anthony Davis
^
Agreed.
ESPN has become like MSNBC or FOX with there bias of anchors.
A sports station like ESPN shouldnt be full of biased reporters like a lot of the college anchors are.
It's ridicolous that they even let him keep his job after not mentioning UK in his top teams or Davis in his top players, when its a proven fact that both should be.
Bobby Knight...

Good Coach = Yes
Good Person = No