Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight cutting for MMA
I just read an article on MMAJunkie about weight cutting. The Doc was talking about how it is unsafe for fighters to cut this amount of weight. He made a comment, "Weight classes are intended to promote safety by opposing similarly sized combatants." The example he used was Frankie vs Henderson and Maynard. Saying that Frankie comes in at 155 or so every fight and Henderson/Maynard are more around MW 185.

For fairness what do everyone think about having weigh ins the night of the fight and take all the weight cutting art out of MMA? The Doc is really pushing this to be passed for the safety of fighters. Me personally I would love to see that happen. This would also stop all the missed weight fighters, if you miss weight you still get punished the same way.

PS Don't flame me to hard all you wrestling supporters:flame:
I've never understood why fighters could not maintain their weight and some would have so much trouble droppoing the pounds up until the weigh-in. i don't think the weigh-in would matter when it is unless it is right before the fight. You can still gain a good amount of weight back overnight and the next morning.
I agree, if they would have fighters to weigh in the morning of the fight. This would only allow around 12 hours to re-fuel and would keep fighters from "draining" themselves so much. I believe this would cause better match-ups.
But then youd see a lot of weak fights because they would gas to easy. As long as their is classes people will cut weight no matter when they weight in.

I for one never could eat after weighting in amd before matches. So i would cut all my weight, but only rehydrate and wait to eat after competition. I cut somewhere in 15-20 pound range but was never affected cardio wise. But you see a lot of fighters who cut major weight end up gasing sooner then they should.

I support the night before weight ins. If they are going to do something about the weight cutting, they could go to a system something like wrestling has now. A fighter can only lose so much depending on his body fat percentage.
GrappleKing Wrote:I support the night before weight ins. If they are going to do something about the weight cutting, they could go to a system something like wrestling has now. A fighter can only lose so much depending on his body fat percentage.

I agree with this completely. I know there are a few organizations that I have worked with in the past, that wont let a fighter cut more than 15-20lbs for a fight, as part of the agreement with them to fight. Personally, If I was figthing pro, there is no way I would support weigh in's the morning of a fight. 2 reasons for this. 1)I have fought as an amateur before, and work with quiet a few pro fighters, and there have been more than a few times people have cramped up the first 3-4 hours after weighing in and starting to re-hydrate and 2)I know that a majority of the fighters I have worked with and know would have their sleep schedule for a fight completely messed up by morning of the fight weigh ins. They weigh in the night before and will spend most of the night awake, usually going to bed at 4-5am so that they arent up all day and wore out by the time 7-9 come around for fight time. So if there were morning weigh ins. Morning weigh ins would completely throw that whole schedule off.

As for the article, Im not sure about Maynard...but I know that Henderson walks around at 171-174 range 99% of the time. You cant blame Henderson for wanting and accepting to play the game while Edgar refuses to cut even 10lbs to fight at 145. No one ever said "We should do weigh in's the same day because Frankie's cardio is so much better than the people he's fighting" but when he runs across someone who cuts so much, and has just as much cardio...its time to change things.
The amount of weight you can cut and having the weigh-ins the night before are both good suggestions. I see the point of not having the weigh-ins the same day as the fight.

If it were me, I would maintain my weight close to my weight class so that I wouldn't have to cut weight or a small amount. This way, if my opponent needed to cut 20 pounds, more power to him, as while he is wearing a sweat suit I would be working on my game plan.
You guys are missing the point here. I'm talking about getting away from people trying to cut weight to fight at a lower weight class. For example: If I'm walking around at 213 and want to fight at 185. If I only have a few hours to re-fuel, there is no way I would want to cut that much because I would gas to early. My point was this; trying to get away from all the mismatches in the fight game. Anderson Silva works around at 220 and cuts to 185, by the night of the fight he is somewhere around 205-215 again. What the Doc was suggesting is that it's not SAFE for a fighter weighing 215 fighting a guy at 190 or so.

It's not about being able to or gassing or anything else. I'm just speaking on SAFETY of the fighters and I really think the fights would be more even. This would force; Anthony Johnson a big Welter (at one time) to at least fight at Middle, where he missed there to. Safety and even match ups is the reason for the weight cutting question.
It would cut down on guys cutting so much, but it would also give a bigger advantage to guys that have mastered cutting (IE guys working with Mike Dolce.) Some guys have mastered the cut to the point that they aren't dehydrated. Honestly, the match ups were guys are outweighed by 15-20lbs on fight night are in the minority. I honestly think you would have more injuries with weigh ins on the morning of the fight, because you are always gonna have guys who push the limits, as they do now, and with less time to recover you are asking for more guys getting injured, gassed which would led to more ko's. Before we worry about this being a safety issue, the heavyweight class needs to be looked at. 20-30lb difference in official weight is a regularity in that class as it spans 60lbs, so if anyone wants to worry about weight difference....lets start at the bottom and build our way up to the more intricate issues.
I agree with the heavyweight but what I would like to see is people stop playing the system and get a true weight. I can only think of a few that would still try to push the limit and it's because they can't win at a higher weight.
b1gblu3sports Wrote:I agree with the heavyweight but what I would like to see is people stop playing the system and get a true weight. I can only think of a few that would still try to push the limit and it's because they can't win at a higher weight.

I can name 15-20 off the top of my head that would still play the game. Anyone that works with Mike Dolce would still play the game, that guy is master a helping guys cut.
I also have many weight ins under my belt. Wrestling and mma. No way would i want to weight in the morning of a fight. The night before a fight you need proper hydration and fuel for your body.
GrappleKing Wrote:I also have many weight ins under my belt. Wrestling and mma. No way would i want to weight in the morning of a fight. The night before a fight you need proper hydration and fuel for your body.

Again your missing the point. With this type of weigh in you COULDN'T cut as much weight or you would be in trouble with cardio, re-fueling, etc.... This is a device to STOP all the major weight cutting to keep people closer to their own walking around weight.:Thumbs:
b1gblu3sports Wrote:Again your missing the point. With this type of weigh in you COULDN'T cut as much weight or you would be in trouble with cardio, re-fueling, etc.... This is a device to STOP all the major weight cutting to keep people closer to their own walking around weight.:Thumbs:

Ive been around MMA for a long time now, and been around quiet a few shows that have did weigh ins the morning of the fights...and while it curves the cutting a bit, its still happens. You either cut weight or you dont. If they changed weigh ins to the day of the fight, they would still cut...but the cut wouldnt be as rapid as it is now, as in dropping 15 or so lbs in the 2 days before the fight. It would be spread out over a period of 2 weeks or so and then would rehydrate after weigh ins. You're never gonna stop cutting, you're just gonna make people work harder to get an advantage. At that point, the people who still do it...are gonna have an even bigger advantage.
I personally think its part of the sport. You choose if you want to dedicate yourself to cutting the weight and taking a chance on losing strenght, cardio, and possible dehydration. Or you can eat and train normal and fight at a natural weight. They are positives and negatives to both ways. I think it should stay a fighters choice. As long as they can step on the scale and make the weight, the more power to them.
I was watching caged on mtv this week.
Anyone see the tony guy get mad because his opponent made him cut am extra like .8? He kept saying thats bs, i was told to make 146 and i made 146, it doesnt matter whats after the 146, 8 friggin ounces bro?
I laughed out loud when he was going on about this. Does he really fight all the time and not realize that 146.8 is basically 147. I mean if he was wrestling or at a real show 146.1 is over weight. Hes fighting in the 145 class, so 146 is the MAX, not 146 and a half, or worse 146.8. Had i been his opponent i would of made him cut the .8 then gave him a lesson on how to read a scale.

In his crazy thinking it would always be 3 oclock even at 3:45 because the little hand is on the 3.
GrappleKing Wrote:I was watching caged on mtv this week.
Anyone see the tony guy get mad because his opponent made him cut am extra like .8? He kept saying thats bs, i was told to make 146 and i made 146, it doesnt matter whats after the 146, 8 friggin ounces bro?
I laughed out loud when he was going on about this. Does he really fight all the time and not realize that 146.8 is basically 147. I mean if he was wrestling or at a real show 146.1 is over weight. Hes fighting in the 145 class, so 146 is the MAX, not 146 and a half, or worse 146.8. Had i been his opponent i would of made him cut the .8 then gave him a lesson on how to read a scale.

In his crazy thinking it would always be 3 oclock even at 3:45 because the little hand is on the 3.

I did not watch it. I actually watched the first couple of episodes and then haven't tuned to it again. To me the show was portraying MMA in a cheesy way.

Speaking of cheesy MMA, my wife was watching MTV the other day and a promo came on for the next 16 and Pregnant show. One girl was on there saying that she can no longer cage fight because she was pregnant. It showed her in the gym and it looked like it was her first day there. Shows like Caged and this on MTV makes the sport of MMA look like a joke, IMO.
I agree completely judgementday, but you know how MTV works...anything that starts to get popular they will jump on the bandwagon for a few months until they milk it for all they can get. Honestly, as bad as caged is...Ive been to a lot of places that are like that.
I dont understand how they can still be amateurs with all the fights they have.
I was watching caged on mtv this week.
I can agree with weight cutting always being a part of mma, but I just don't agree with a 20 pound difference going into the fight. We all can agree that safety is the number concern with someone cutting so much weight. Look at Anderson Silva, walks around at 220 cuts down to 185 and at fight time up around 210. Number 1 not good fo the body, number 2 not good for opponent at 195 or maxed 200. Oh well, it is what it is.
Yeah, I can agree I dont like seeing those fights...but its a choice. If they choose to cut to 185 instead of going to 170, its their career that are putting at a disadvantage. If done the right way it isnt even unhealthy for the body, 10-15 most of the time is water weight, and the you can loose 2lbs per week healthily if cutting calories by 500 per day and keeping macro nutrients right. so an 8 week training camp is 16 or so lbs and then the 10-15lbs of water weight and 25-35lbs is completely feasible. Its just extra work, look at all the champions (minus lazy fatass heavyweights) and you'll see guys that put in the extra work to cut the extra lbs to get that advantage. Some guys just dont like cutting the calories and not eating what they want.
GrappleKing Wrote:I dont understand how they can still be amateurs with all the fights they have.

It isn't the number of fights you have but the organization you fight in....i.e. the UFC is a professional organization, strikeforce, etc...
judgementday Wrote:It isn't the number of fights you have but the organization you fight in....i.e. the UFC is a professional organization, strikeforce, etc...

Exactly, its a personal choice as to when you want to turn pro. Ive known guys who fought 2 times and turned pro while others have fought 25-30 times.
NothingTrivial Wrote:Exactly, its a personal choice as to when you want to turn pro. Ive known guys who fought 2 times and turned pro while others have fought 25-30 times.

I know guys as well who have numerous fights under their belts and IMO are good enough to go pro but they fight for the thrill and do not want to make it a career.
They are getting sponsorship money. Imo, if you are getting paid in any way you are no longer an amateur. I guess i worded my statement wrong. I wasnt meaning they had to turn pro after so many fights. Most of them keep saying i cant wait to turn pro, what i meant was whats really stopping them? They are already getting paid from sponsors. They have enough wins and credit that any small time promoter would put them on a card. Id say ring rulers has some mixed cards. Pro/amateur.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/27814/although...career.mma

Looks like danger finally made the jump to pro.
As for whats stopping them....Somtimes, brains. They are already fighting on pretty good sized cards for amateurs, and would be expected to fight good guys right away. Take it slow, get your time in, get experience you need in all the arts and then take your path to being a pro. You dont want to turn pro, have to take bigger fights and fizzle out at the beginning.
The amateur pro thing with MMA is so weird compared to other sports.
NothingTrivial Wrote:The amateur pro thing with MMA is so weird compared to other sports.

This I agree...

I can only compare it to being sponsored in paintball. I know a number of guys who play on local teams who will never get to the professional level but can still bring in sponsorships. Companies do this because frankly, they need to start somewhere.
I think if your gettting paid at all you shouldnt be an amateur. Imagine what the ncaa would say if companies "sponsored" athletes. Were not paying him to play, just to help him while he trains and for our benefit. Imo, its the same thing. Most pro fighters make more from sponsor money then the actual fight anyway. For instance, i was offered a pro fight. $200 and $200 win bonus. I would of had triple that in sponsors im sure.
I also saw what the fighters on the very first wv pro card got paid a few months ago. I was shocked! No one made a grand from the fight. One guy even made 0. Only his cut of tickets he personaly sold.